Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Confused by the non-smoker's kit

There's a non-smoker's kit selling on ebay for $50. I'm wondering what it's purpose could possibly be.

Do you ever have anyone in your car that you can't tell not to smoke in it? If you're a smoker, do you need the discouragement to keep from lighting up? What am I missing?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #2

For me it would be the empty tray in the middle console. Much more useful for cell, ipod etc. I could care less about the lighter delete part. I would like to have the tray, but I'm not paying $50 for it, I'll just live with the door and ashtray.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i also think that $50 is too much for what that little part is, yet damn it its so much more useful than that little ashtray in there is that its always closed
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Can't you just leave the ash tray door open? It swings into the console so it's not in the way.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #5

I don't get it either -- why not store your cellphone in the ashtray? Right now I use it to store a flashlight and some other small items. It's not like it's getting any bigger by spending $50 on this "non-smoker's kit" -- and then even lose the handy lid. Silly.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #6

It is primarily for more space. With that said, I would never get one. I don't know why, but even though I don't ever smoke in any of my cars, I always want an ashtray and lighter in there. Built in, not the optional ash cup in the cup holder that Most car makers give you now. I guess that is how cars have always been to me and it is one feature that I actually like, even though I never use.
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
I've got one and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I must add that the spring dampener on my ashtray was broken when I bought the car, and I didn't like the thing snapping open the way it did, so I need to do something. I do think the NS kit offers a little more space and a very clean look.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #8

Yeah the empty tray offers more space than the one under the lid.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well when u open the ashtray its too weird to even try and put a cellphone in there. i have a blackberry pearl and it doesnt fit, and it will probably get owned even if i tried to fit it in there somehow.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #10

I bought it

I bought the kit, because I didnt like the door. I dont smoke so some of the decision was priciple. BUT it did come with a plug and replacement 12volt lighter recepticle. I like the plug. And when sitting in the car my Motorola phone fits in the box....personally it looks better than the ashtray..
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #11

I just installed a kit on my S and I love it. Perfect for storing cell phone, etc...

My old ashtray lid/surround were a bit scratched up, so now it looks better too.

The kits are a bit pricey for what they are, but I figured that down the road when I sell the car, I'll put the ashtray back in and sell the non smoker kit on eBay.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
SeattleBoxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #12

I have the non-smoker's tray as well. Very useful to place to put my phone or other items you don't want rolling around. My car's ash tray was never used, so I sold it on eBay after removing (along with the worthless cupholders) and virtually recovered my investment.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #13

I thought about purchasing the non-smokers kit, but decided against it. Instead, I bought an extra (very small) garage door opener and velcroed it into the ashtray. The ashtray hinge keeps the remote opener out of public view. I thought this was easier and cheaper than doing the garage door opener hack. Regarding the otherwise worthless cup holders, they are great for holding cell phones and blackberries closer to eye level while driving.
fairfaxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #14

I plan on buying the ns kit, has anyone ever seen one in carbon??

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote