Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

Angry Oil change problem with drain plug

This is the third attempt I've made at trying to change my oil and failed yet again miserably. I'm having a lot of problems with the oil drain plug. The thing just won't budge (and yes I'm turning it counter clockwise). The first two times I gave up as I didn't want to strip anything, this third attempt I used a lot of force and it still won't budge. All previous oil changes have been done at the Roger Beasly Porsche dealership so I don't know if they over tightened it or what. I’m using the standard 8mm hex with a torque wrench. Has this happened to any one else? Can I use WD40 on the plug?

alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
boggtown

I wouldnt use torque wrenches to loosen bolts, Buy a breaker bar!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

I'll give it a try, thanks boggtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I wouldnt use torque wrenches to loosen bolts, Buy a breaker bar!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did you try turning it the other way to see if your counter-clockwise is clockwise to the plugs threads?(I'm not being sarcastic,happened to me)
Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #5

I tried that as well, granted I didn't push as hard the other way. As I think about it, Im not sure about the breaker bar idea, it may apply more torque than is needed and if the plug is being turned incorrectly it may really cause problems. I'm just not sure why the plug is that tight in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Did you try turning it the other way to see if your counter-clockwise is clockwise to the plugs threads?(I'm not being sarcastic,happened to me)
Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #6

I would at least try squirting it with PB Blaster
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

Alright, finally got the thing to loosen up. I had to turn it clockwise hard and then I heard the plug budge, turned it counter clockwise again to remove it. That oil comes out with quiet a bit of pressure, I'm going to give it about an hour to completly drain out.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #8

My drain plug was a ******************** to get off... I had to put a T handle hex wrench in there, then get my huge adjustable crescent wrench onto the shaft... THEN it came off like a charm!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #9

BTW, nice to see another Austinite on here! I'm up on the north end of Loop 1/Mopac/Burnet Rd/FM1325.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikhan78
I'm just not sure why the plug is that tight in the first place.
It shouldn't have been especially since it is aluminum. It sounds like the place that did the changes might have over tightened it. Be sure to check the threads to see if there was any damage.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #11

You're not too far away, Im a little north off Louis Henna, right by Dell. I'm really in Round Rock but I work downtown Austin and I figure more people know Austin over RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
BTW, nice to see another Austinite on here! I'm up on the north end of Loop 1/Mopac/Burnet Rd/FM1325.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #12

I did take a look at the threads, they looked ok. Crush ring had a nice indentation where the plug pressed against it.

Now it seems I have more pain on the way, the 74-76mm 14 flute oil wrench I got from Orielly Auto Parts doesn't look like its going to work, keeps slipping. I swear this is the last time I buy anything from Orielly, return policy sucks. Serves me right though for being lazy and not buying the porsche wrench from suncoast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
It shouldn't have been especially since it is aluminum. It sounds like the place that did the changes might have over tightened it. Be sure to check the threads to see if there was any damage.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #13

Well, I have the Porsche filter wrench... but I work tomorrow, or I'd let you borrow it.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #14

I got tired of dealing with all the foolishness and didn't repalce the filter. I've added the 9 quarts of oil and decieded I'll redo the oil change (with all the proper parts) in 2000 miles. This change was done ahead of schedule anyway so I don't see any harm.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikhan78
I got tired of dealing with all the foolishness and didn't repalce the filter. I've added the 9 quarts of oil and decieded I'll redo the oil change (with all the proper parts) in 2000 miles. This change was done ahead of schedule anyway so I don't see any harm.

I'll let you borrow the filter wrench if you'd like. Another thing that might work for you is one of those strap wrenches. I used one of those on my previous car's filter, and it worked like a charm!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #16

Thanks, I sent you a PM, I may wait a bit to do the oil change again but it would be nice to meetup with you and any other austin members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I'll let you borrow the filter wrench if you'd like. Another thing that might work for you is one of those strap wrenches. I used one of those on my previous car's filter, and it worked like a charm!