Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #1

Question Litronics Help

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a set of litronics from Suncoast, but I have been reading that the aftermarket litronics don't adjust the level of the beam even if you install the controller.

If this is the case, what's the point of spending the extra $$?

Why not just buy clear headlights at a fraction of the cost?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
They're still much brighter than the halogens though. I put in Litronics after having the clear halogens, and much prefer them. If you buy them new, halogens are like $995, whereas the litronics are $1400, so it's not that much more for the litronics. Used, you can get litronics for around $900 vs. $500-$600 for clear halogens.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #3

Question

Boxtaboy,

Did you intall the controller?

Do I gain anything by installing the controller?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #4

The controller moves the xenon beam up when you hit your brights. The only thing the aftermarket kit with the controller installed does not do is auto-leveling... which means when you jam on the brakes, they tilt up and when you nail it they tilt down to keep the headlight on the road at all time.

I love my aftermarket litronics. You will not be disappointed.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The controller will allow you to add the additional feature of having the low beam litronics swivel up 5 degrees when you turn on the highbeams to help the high beams fill in more space, for a better light spread. It is a good feature, but I havn't added the controller because I rarely even need to use the high beams anyway as the low beam litronics alone are usually plenty enough light for me anyway. You still will have high beams without adding the controller, but just that the low beams won't swivel up to help them, they just stay pointed at same level while the high beam is turned on.

When I had the plain halogens, I used to always turn on my fog lights as well when I drove at night because I felt the low beams alone didn't give me enough light, but with the litronics, I don't need to put the fogs on ever...unless there's really fog.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #6

I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my decision. I'm placing the order today.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
No problem. Good for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new lights. Make sure that once you install them, that you have the beams aimed properly. You can either use the instructions for aiming that come in the owner's manual to give it a shot yourself, or get it done at the dealer, who really have the right equipment to get all the adjustments perfect. When I first popped my litronics in, the aim was so off I could only see like 10 feet in front of me in the pitch dark, although those 10 feet were very bright. LOL

After adjustment was done for me at the dealer, they were awesome. Long distance light dispersion and very bright. I love em. Finally got nice enough outside (a balmy mid 30Fs today lol), so I took my car out for a bit...

cruddy phone camera shot:

Old 02-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #8

when you guys say aftermarket..I assume that you refer to the installation and the part is OEM Porsche?

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote