Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #1

Darnit. CEL. P1129

Driving to the doc's office for my shots (immunotherapy), the car threw a CEL at me. Great. The engine was running fine, if not having a little roughness at idle. Went to an auto parts store... they didn't have a reader... the next one wouldn't read the code... so I went to a buddy's house who has a code reader and used his. P1129 - MAF.

Well, at least it's not something uber serious. I cleared the code, and it didn't come back... so I figure I'll yank the MAF and clean it.

Sound like a good approach?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

MAF or no MAF that's the question

I doubt that it's the MAF.

The P1129 applies to only ONE cylinder bank, if the MAF were bad you'd probably have errors on BOTH banks.

P1129: Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Lean Threshold
so it could as well be a bad O2 sensor (or the obvious: gas cap, oil cap)

here is some good reading:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7558

I just had a P1128 fixed by replacing the oil filler cap which had a leaky rubber seal and was drawing air ...

How many miles do you have?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #3

Maybe it was P1128.... Looked it up on Renntech and it said MAF.

I cleared the code, but borrowed my buddy's scanner, so I'll see if it returns. When the weather clears up a bit, I probably will remove the MAF and clean it up.

BTW, the car is an 01 with 42k on the ticker. (and I haven't filled up in a couple weeks, so not a loose gas cap. Not sure if the oil cap or coolant cap are the old ones that might cause problems...)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote