Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #1

GAHH Top

I am getting my GAHH top (glass window) installed week-after-next at the GAHH headquarters in North Hollywood. I have read most of the posts about pros/cons, and it seems like people pretty much agree that it's a great alternative, especially once your plastic windows finally tears.

I'm posting today not so much to ask your opinion on the top, but rather: what sort of things should I look out for before/during/immediately after the install? Are there any common problems that occur within a few days that I should be on the look out for? Did anybody have a specific installation problem that had to be fixed?

BTW - my total cost, with install and tax, is $1,431. Again, that's purchased from and installed at GAHH, not a local installer/dealer.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions - thanks everyone!

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #2

Hi,

Not for me, but not going to try and dissuade you.

One thing though, before you take your car in, use a digicam and take lots of photos of every aspect and angle of the existing top for comparison later.

Shoot all the folds, seams, joints, attachment points, interior, etc. Then, if there's something about the new top you don't like, you can show the installer the old photos without dispute. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #3

Here is what I can remember to look out for from other posts that I've read.

1. Separation of the glass from canvas (this only happened on older un-reinforced versions of the gahh glass window softtop)
2. The velcro strap pieces near the window frame (driver and passenger) ripping/tearing when opening or closing the top.
3. The outer edge of the softtop not staying in the window frame/channel when closing.
4. Some plastic trim types of pieces that are reused should actually be replaced because of plastics tabs breaking off or weakened when they are removed.
5. Increased difficulty servicing the engine compartment with the top in service mode.

A search of this forum should turn up more info and pictures of each of those.

From what I've heard the guys at Gahh are straight shooters, I imagine if you ask them straight up, what types of problems they've had, or what to look out for, they'll probably tell you.

Congrats on the new top,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM   #4

Thumbs up gahh top

Great top great price. say hello to Jack for me!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #5

Hey Dustin,
Do you mind if I ask where you are getting your top installed, and how much they are charging (for install only). I just got one too. It would be worth driving a few miles if I could save a couple hundred $$.
Thanks,
V_J
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:09 AM   #6

3. The outer edge of the softtop not staying in the window frame/channel when closing.

This happens to mine one out of every 10 or to closes...
Other than that I love the top and GAHH has excellent service, that seems like an very good price.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

This happens to mine one out of every 10 or to closes...
Other than that I love the top and GAHH has excellent service, that seems like an very good price.
I wonder if GAHH still needs to work out some issues. It seems they are the only maker of this aftermarket glass versioned top that has ever had a documented problem with the top glass separating from the canvas (Robbins Auto Tops and BAS International being other makers of glass windowed Boxster tops without such issues). It seems that GAHH has fixed the separation issue now with the reinforced window pocket that they now advertise, but still, it seems, there are minor issues with fit, as you have pointed out. Although it only happens, as you say, every once in a while.

Anyone here have a Robbins glass windowed version, and if so, any fit issues?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #8

Those are great tips everybody - thank you.

To answer the cost questions somebody asked, I am buying it and getting it instaleld at GAHH. They are charging me $1,431.78 for everything, with tax, and I think $450 of that is installation.

Jim - thank you for the suggestion on taking pictures. That's a very good idea.

I'll be sure to post some pics in a couple of weeks. Hope everybody has a good weekend.

DC

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote