Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #1

Question Calling for input on new 987 purchase

I've been lurking around these forums for a while now. Reading, learning, and enjoying the post of 987 pics (especially those in white or silver - my current colour contenders)

Background: was looking at a new 987 base for fall 2007 or spring 2008 timeframe. But with the release of MY 2008 spy photos, I may need to order before factory stops taking 2007 orders around end of June - or so I was told my a local Toronto dealer here in Canada at our autoshow this past weekend. I'm real worried Porsche's going to screw up that front bumper grill on the 2008. I really like just the way it is right now. This strictly a 2nd car (toy) that will be garaged winters. I do not intend to track it, nor do I normally drive particularly fast. I intend to keep this car for 8+ years. My dream car in my teens was the 944S2 cabrio but I've given up on finding a decent, fairly priced one around my region.

This may sound strange - but it's the looks, handling, and the braking performance that draws me to this car. If I splurge for the "S" model it would be for the slightly bigger brakes not the engine. If I could afford the ceramic brakes I would.

I know some are going to say - just get what you like, never mind other's opinions. But I value the input of the 987 owners on this forum - so here goes...

==========================

1) Any Canadian owners in the GTA area? Would you recommend Pfaff or Downtown Fine Cars for the purchase? What kind of discount can one expect in Toronto when ordering new from the factory as opposed to off the lot?

2) Decided on ordering these options:

HARDTOP

18" RIMS (Cayman S type) minimum

FLOOR MATS

METALLIC PAINT (if I go with silver - how often do Porsche change their colors? Seems like Arctic Silver has been around a while. Think they'll change it up next year?)

3) Struggling back and forth on these:

19" RIMS (Carrera S) - please describe difference in ride between 17 vs 18 vs 19 without PASM.

PASM - would this be that noticeable on regular streets/highways in a Cdn city with frost heaved roads. No intention to track this car. Don't know why but I keep worrying about the replacement costs and complexity of these things. I figure the less complex, the less things to break.

SOUND PLUS vs BOSE - how good or bad is base system? How much better is Sound Plus over the base system? How much better is BOSE over Sound Plus? Can any of the 3 systems truly be heard clearly when top is down and the engine running? Are the sound systems only really for top up engine off scenario?

FULL LEATHER - never heard anyone speak on this option. Interested in owner feedback.

WIND DEFLECTOR - if I don't normally drive faster than 65-70mph on the highway, will this option make any difference?

thanks ahead for your feedback. Everyone post more 987 pics please.

Last edited by philpots; 02-19-2007 at 07:15 PM.
philpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #2

Congratulations on getting a 987.

Welcome to the family.

Now to answer what questions I can....

I have the Bose system and I strongly recommend it. You can hear it in top down driving, however, like all systems, it is not heard as well w/ the top down.

Full leather interior, which I have, makes the cabin gorgeous looking. I don't care for it and it isn't a necessity for me, but it definitely makes a big difference. I can show you pics if you want.

I would recommend the wind deflector, definitely.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #3

my thoughts.......

HARDTOP - not necessary, especially if you are storing the car. I have the soft top and even on the cold days its nice and warm inside.

18" RIMS (Cayman S type) minimum - have the18's, like them, pain to keep clean, get the 19' carerra classics, the 19 Carerra S's are even harder to clean than the 18's from what i hear.....

SOUND PLUS vs BOSE - have the bose, couldn't imagine not having it to tell you the truth

FULL LEATHER - I never really noiced this option with the interior of my car being black, everything blends really well.....full leather might be nicer and more noticeable on light color interiors

WIND DEFLECTOR - get it

s vs Base - I would get the S for Horsepower, red calipers are nice too but the brakes on the base are outstanding
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #4

The 944 S2 Cab was my dream car as a kid too!

If the top performance possible out of a Boxster is of no concern to you - straying from the S will certainly free up more dough for options. And on that note - if cruisin' your ride will be your forte - I'd say go with the 19's. They will look simply incredible.

Stereo - absolutely go with the best system you can get. I have driven with both stock and BOSE - and without a doubt I am happier with the BOSE. There is just no comparison - especially top down.

Full leather - not really worth it to me.

Wind Deflector - Absolutely.

As for PASM - don't know if you'd really miss it if performance driving won't be your gig.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #5

Pasm

I'm sure everyone will help you out on other options, so here is my help on PASM.
(So many misleading info out there on PASM - such as "I rarely turn it on", "PASM is too harsh for me" etc etc)

PASM is not the option you will immediately appreciate during your 10 minute test drive at the dealer. More comfortable ride on local bumpy road and tighten your car significantly and instantly on aggressive driving. After break in, it's unbelievable on hard cornering and challenging twisties. I only talked about "Normal Mode" here. This mode alone impress me more and more everyday. You said you like Boxster for handling, right?

Are you planning to keep your car for 8 yrs or so? It's standard for Carrera-S and up, there is a reason for that. PSM(not PASM) is now standard for all Porsche, and we know why. You worry about PASM failure, but not worry about PSM? (Talking about failure, I would worry about engine failure more than PASM).

If the cost doesn't bother you (hey painted sport seat back cost very close to PASM!), get this. This is the real deal.

Last edited by jinijazz; 02-19-2007 at 11:28 PM.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
1JB

My 2 cents worth. This is what I would do. I respect everyone elses comments as well so please don't think I'm trying to come off as a know it all.

Go into this thinking clean, pure sports car. Performance and practicality.

Get the S before you add a single option to a base Boxster. Noticeable difference between power and brakes of the two cars and if you are keeping the car 8+ years I guarantee that you will have buyers remorse about not getting the S. With the options you're adding you can get an S.

Forget about PASM. Not needed because I also say go with the 18s. Only advantage of 19s are looks. I ride bumpy roads and the ride with the 18s is perfect. If you get 19s with the lower side walls now you're getting sucked into PASM. Also if you're driving in Canadian conditions think about the winter. You'll end up with 18s or 17s but no way 19s.

Forget about full leather. Very nice but of no practical consequence. The smile on your face when you drive the car will be every bit as big without full leather. That being said if there was one thing I could have added to my car by ordering it this would have been it. So if you can spring for it on an S get this over 19s, PASM and so forth. It's really, really gorgeous but I also store my car in the winter so I'm not worried about crud on the interior.

Get the sound Bose plus. It adds a wind deflector which you should also get (very noticeable difference without it on the highway) and auto increase and decrease of the sound. It's a nice system and as well as you're going to do in a tin box with the top down or a ragtop up.

You're in Canada so get the heated seats, heated headlamp washers and bi xenon lights. Also get the stainless stell entry guards (getting in and out of the car with muck and boots is a bear and you scrape up the guards. SS has polished right up for me). Get rubber floor mats for the winter and get the liners for the front and rear trunks. Silver is a good color for crud on the car.

If you're driving it year round get the hard top and a set of winter tires and rims.

I built and rebuilt the car for months with all kinds of colors and options and ended up buying an S with the essential options I wanted because it was not spoken for and on the boat with the exact color combo I wanted. I don't miss any of things I thought were must haves which included the same options your talking about adding.

Once you get the car even though you are absolutely certain you never will, you are going to become infected with Porsche madness. You will long for some more power in the back of your mind. I'm already thinking about a RUF upgrade when my warranty expires in 3 years and when I got the S I was certain it was more than I could ever handle. Go with a base S and the essential options and you will have no regrets.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #7

In my opinion:

Must Have:
Bose
Windstop
Xenon Lights
Heated Seats
Go for the 'S' Model

Don't Need:
Full Leather
PASM

Wheels are really a matter of personal taste. I have the 18" S wheels and they are a pain to clean. I also like the look of the 19" wheel better, so I will likely be upgrading next year to the 19' Carrera Classics.

Also, my car is silver and I went with the blue interior and top. Actually looks pretty slick. If you want pics let me know. I think Arctic Silver will be around for awhile too.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #8
bmussatti

You don't need a hard top, since you are storing for the winter.

I love my full leather and 19" Carrera Classic Wheels.

Windstop is a must.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #9

He said he doesn't drive fast. Why would he need the S model?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
He said he doesn't drive fast. Why would he need the S model?
Driving fast is different than driving quickly.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #11

You will make the largest mistake if you don't get the 3.4L S engine. That "option" will affect the car the most in terms of performance, no matter how/where you drive it. The near 300hp and 3.4L bring you into 996/997 power territory in a mid-engine roadster for $30k less than a 997 convertible! If you have ONE option to pick, choose this one.

I too didn't plan to drive fast, and didn't think I would go to the track (DE). Allow yourself to change your mind after you get to know the car better and start enjoying it to the latest drop. The PCA community is also very inviting.

Keep it simple on everything else. The standard 18" S wheels are great. No need for 19" on your roads. No need for PASM. No need for full leather. No need for xenons. No need for hardtop. It's a toy joy-car and 90% of time you will be driving it with the top down. The soft-top is plenty insulated for highway jaunts and for rain.

Get the Bose. I have it and I can hear it -- it also adds a nice bass. Though you'll drive without music 90% of the time, so no big deal if you don't get it. Get the windstop -- it helps. Get heated seats -- to increase the number of top-down rides, especially in Canada. The windstoop and the heated seats will also keep the lady happy (hair not messed up, and butt warm) which will allow for enjoying the car together more often -- hence, a toy for everyone. I think all these come in a preferred package.

Get white or yellow color (if you don't like black) and avoid paying extra for metallic. They all look gorgeous.

With discounts, the car described above can be had new for mid $50k (US) -- the best deal in the roadster universe, bar none.

Hope this helped.

Z.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #12

Were here goes my opinion.

I have the Base 987 with Heated Seats, the non-Bose premium audio system, and the 19 Carrera S wheels.

I also live in sunny southern California so I don't worry about snow and so on.

19's: All in all, I like the 19's but if you drive on bad roads regularly then I would not go for them.

PASM: I would have liked to have but I don't so I can not speak about it.

Brakes: The brakes on the Base model are good enough for the streets as far as I am concerned.

Bose: Well I have the mid range "premium" audio system which for me does just fine. I used to be an audiophile but have since stopped caring about perfect sound. The unit I have also does the volume control based on speed and so on.

Full leather: I have not had any issues with it. I do not have it nor do I wish I had it.

S vs. Base: I would say opt out for the S if you can have it. I am a little bit of a conservative and did not want to go for the S at this time. So I went with the base model. Next time around though I will probably go with the S if I have a choice.
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #13

Here's my thoughts:

HARDTOP

In my experience you won't use it often. You'd put it on in the winter if you plan on driving your car around in the cold, but if it's rainy/snowy, why would you want to drive the boxster?

18" RIMS (Cayman S type) minimum

Don't waste your time. If you're going to upgrade, get the 19" options.

FLOOR MATS

Yes.

METALLIC PAINT (if I go with silver - how often do Porsche change their colors? Seems like Arctic Silver has been around a while. Think they'll change it up next year?)

Silver is a traditionalist's color. Boring, but high resale value. Get any silver or grey, they're all the same to the next buyer. I recommend Guards Red or Cobalt Blue myself.

19" RIMS (Carrera S) - please describe difference in ride between 17 vs 18 vs 19 without PASM.

Get the Carrera Sport wheels. I will be jealous!!!

PASM

I have PASM. I rarely use the stiff setting. The standard setting is nice, but a bit of body roll in turns. I can't remember what the standard shocks feel like though so I can't compare. I'm happy I have the option though.

One caution--they had to replace my right rear shock already, under warranty of course....

SOUND PLUS vs BOSE

The base system sucks, the Bose system also sucks. You're kind of stuck without any good option in my opinion. The "sub woofer" isn't really sub-bass at all. I'd say save the money and go to Reus Audio, but then you're too far away for that nonsense.

The Bose system isn't musical at all. The bass is one-note and boomy. Sound plus might be the best option if at all, but I suggest test driving both systems. Take the car for a test drive SPECIFICALLY for testing out the stereo, not for anything else, and drive with the top down and top up at speed. Don't just listen on the show room floor or you'll be fooled into thinking the system is actually worth something.

FULL LEATHER

"full leather" seems to mean a lot of different things. At the very least order the basic leather package that gives you the leather trim around the center console and instrument stack, along with the leather dashboard. This is the single biggest mistake I feel I made on ordering my car--it looks SO MUCH BETTER in the leather.

"Full leather", where you get every little bit done in leather is probably a waste of money.

WIND DEFLECTOR

Makes a difference. I feel a lot more wind on my hands on the steering wheel when I don't have the wind deflector in place and the girlfriend's hair goes wild.

I have some further suggestions for you:

Heated seats - worth the money!

Sport steering wheel - I wish I had one, and it's a cheap option. I'd get it!

Short shifter - if you have a passenger, you'll probably be hitting them in the thigh/knee when shifting into fifth or sixth, unless you get the short shifter. Both shift nicely though.

Sport chrono - I have it, it would be the first option I'd leave out next time.

Nav system - Nice, still buggy like the stock stereo though. With the way these things are getting so cheap nowadays, it may be more cost-effective to just get the base stereo system without nav and use all the money you've saved to get a touchscreen nav/DVD system installed with upgraded speakers/amp. That way you'd even get the extra cubby space behind the seats where the stupid Bose "sub-woofer" would otherwise sit.

Sport seats - There's no lumbar support in the standard seats... this is annoying.

Last edited by eslai; 02-20-2007 at 09:33 AM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #14

This thread is turning into "must-have" options or "S vs Base".

If it's all about "must-have",
Forget 18/19, 17 is fine. Forget Bose, Xenon, Full Leather, PASM. Forget S too.
There is no such a thing like "must-have".
Base Boxster with no options is the best value.

If it is about "recommendations",
No doubt I'd get PASM & Sport Chrono over 19".

I just saw eslai's post below, very good reviewer on options.
Check out his other thread about options too.

Last edited by jinijazz; 02-20-2007 at 10:09 AM.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Driving fast is different than driving quickly.
Driving quickly leads to fast driving. You have to assume he does neither. Shrug.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 02-20-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #16

Good point by Eslai, get the sports steering wheel. Something I overlooked but wish I had.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #17

...and yet another consideration. Dependent on what color you go with the option to get the roll bar in the exterior color can be very cool.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
bmussatti

Sport Steering Wheel is option code #435. Cost $250. Got one...love it!

This is a 3 spoke steering wheel with a smaller diameter and contoured rim.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Sport Steering Wheel is option code #435. Cost $250. Got one...love it!

This is a 3 spoke steering wheel with a smaller diameter and contoured rim.

Agree. Initially it wasn't on my list but the car I got (from the lot) had it and I really like it. Good bang for $ option.

Z.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #20

yeah I'm pretty pissed I don't have the sport steering wheel. the reason I don't have it is because it wasn't on the interior options section of the porsche configurator online. It was listed in the LEATHER OPTIONS section that I completely ignored.

Had I seen it I would've ordered it. Bastards.

Now if I want it it costs like $1000+ because of the airbag module.