Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

The 100th "Will These Wheels Fit" Thread

With my snows mounted on the Classic IIs that came with my Boxster, I have been looking for another set of wheels for some summer tires. I haven't found anything that looked good and was reasonably priced. If price was no object, I would buy some HREs, but who in there right mind would pay $5k for a set of wheels the ave person would think might be worth $1K? I've looked at the usual sites (Wheel Enhancement, Wheel Dynamics, etc), but nothing strikes my fancy.

Today I ran across a site that listed ACE Spyders for $220 ea. Nice looking wheel and very reasonably priced. However, they only listed the following wheel size as being available for a Boxster:

18 x 8.5 52mm

I have the std 18s on my '01 S:

18 x 7.5 50mm 225/40 front
18 x 9 52mm 265/35 rear

So I have these questions:
1. Will there be clearance issues on the front with an addl 1"?
2. Will the 52mm offset pose a problem on the front?
3. Will a 225/40 work on an 8.5" wheel? (I haven't bought the summer tires yet)
4. Will a 1/2" smaller wheel cause any problems on the rear?

BTW
Last fall I ran across a nice chart from a past thread that listed all the wheel / tire / offsets for Boxsters and I can't seem to find it now. Anyone know where it's located?

Thanks

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #2

1) If I did the math correctly, wouldn't the new rim would sit 1" closer to the inside of the car.. ie closer to the strut/shock.
(the stock wheel offset is 50, the new wheel offset is 52. Offset being the distance between the center of the wheel and the mounting plane of the rim).

2) A 225 on an 8.5 in rim would be a little "narrow". IIRC, most manufacurers state 8" as the maximum for a 225 width tire (225mm=8.8inches). A 245 would fit better on the rim. So, now you have a slightly wider rim and tire than stock trying to fit up front.

3) you don't mention if you have made any changes to the cars suspension (ride height, lowering spring, replacement adj. coilovers etc...

4) The rears would work fine, but may look "smaller" than your current rims.

Why does it matter what people think you paid for a set of wheels? HREs, Fiske, BBS, Speedline all make fantastic wheels that cost alot because they are so well made. I would be more inclined to run "snows" on "cheap" rims, given their exposure to sand/salt potholes etc.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

8.5" front and rear? I wouldn't do it. Front tires are going to be all stretched out while rears will be all compressed on the wheel. 8.5" is not an approved width for a lot of 265s. For AX, some guys run 8.5 front and rear 245s all around, but that's not what you're talking here.

FWIW, I like your Sport Classic IIs a lot. You can probably get another set for $1K.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
boggtown

I like my wheels and they were around 1,200. Fit great and look good. Dont know if your into the style though. If money were no object you should want fiskes, lol. Those are the baddest ass wheels out there.