Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
my GF used to laugh at me for wawing at someone, or if they wawe at me untill this one time we were driving around and a fellow benz owner wawed at her, shes like this is kinda cool that they notice we drive similar cars and i understand now. hehehe, good experience

i think its kool, especially since we dont drive as common of a car as a honda, i wonder if everyone that has a honda wawes at a nother honda driver , i think there wold be too many accidents

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #22
bmussatti

I give a thumbs up and wave!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Mnboxster, I'm not sure where you are seeing all these boxsters in the twin cities b/c I am certainly not. Pretty much don't see any over the winter and maybe one a month in the summer.

...and I do wave and actually get excited to see another one.
Hi,

There are tons of Boxsters here in MSP. I live on River Blvd. in St. Paul and this is one of the scenic drives many sports car owners in town frequently make, I see them going past the house all the time (as well as many others). Around the Lakes too. Certainly not so many in winter, but there are 5 other Boxsters alone within a 6-block radius of my home. A Black one, Navy, 2 Arctic Silver and another Guards Red, as well as at least 10 911s of various models.

MSP is the only city in the US with the size population it has to have two Porsche Dealerships, and these existed well before the Boxster or the Cayenne were introduced. Traditionally, this area is high for Porsche Ownership, especially by Mid-Western, limited Driving Season, standards.

I suspect you haven't had yours long enough, or driven as thoroughly through town, to have noticed. See if you don't agree with me by this time next year...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Enough with the Psycho-babble, it's not negative at all.

I bought the car - not the nameplate or the so-called Community. It doesn't matter one whit that it's a Porsche to me. Give me the same car, styling, handling, with a Yugo badge (or any other) on the hood and I'm there (except maybe for the China-Doll engine).

I've owned several equally, or even more prestigeous, Hood Badges in my time. To me a Porsche isn't a Porsche, it's just a car. There are numerous Porsche models which i have absolutely no desire to own.

Granted, the same may not be true of all others. Many (I suspect even many here) bought the car exactly because of the Community, the Nameplate, what it says to others about who they are. That they wanted to be included in such a percieved group. Also, it's been my experience (not just now, but through the years) that as a group Porsche owners tend to know a lot less about cars than owners of several other performance marques. Certainly not all, I'm not making that assertion, but many more than I've found in Jaguars, Ferraris, Lotus, maybe even Mustangs and Vettes. That's OK too, not positive or negative, just OK.

But, if you must know, I am on these forums because I chose to be. To learn from and others and help others learn about these cars. Not because merely owning this car somehow obligates me to buy into other people's sense of Community...

Most of your response is gratuitous...So I won't even respond.

You could just as well be on a forum for cars in general or sports cars in general and serve the same purpose. However, you relate to the people here because of the car you have, and for that, you joined in the community.

Keep thinking you are the exception...
Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Most of your response is gratuitous...So I won't even respond.

You could just as well be on a forum for cars in general or sports cars in general and serve the same purpose. However, you relate to the people here because of the car you have, and for that, you joined in the community.

Keep thinking you are the exception...
Hi,

It's not at all gratuitous. You're the one who keeps putting labels to it. For your information, I do belong to several other Car Forums, both general and marque specific. In fact, I'm a moderator on two of them.

And you keep discounting the fact that my presence here was my choice, not some obligation. If you wanna wave - fine. But, don't chide me because I choose not to wave back...

Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Hi,
If you wanna wave - fine. But, don't chide me because I choose not to wave back...

MNBoxster is one of those owners who doesnt waive back. :chicken:
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #27

For God's sake... if you have to psychoanalyze returning a wave, you have a lot more problems than someone wanting to feel like part of a community. It's pretty bad when you have to consciously make a decision to be unfriendly.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #28

I see no reason to wave to other boxsters, I do wave to other motorcycle riders when im on my bike, but just is not the same in a car.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
For God's sake... if you have to psychoanalyze returning a wave, you have a lot more problems than someone wanting to feel like part of a community. It's pretty bad when you have to consciously make a decision to be unfriendly.

Hi,

It's not at all unfriendly. You guys are the ones who are overanalyzing things labeling those not similarly inclined to return your jesture as unfriendly.

They may not see you, may be concentrating on driving (as they should), be listening to the radio, feel no obligation to respond to a stranger, or simply not give a ******************** (you realize that this is OK too right?).

It seems it's you who have the problem with that, not the other way around. Let it go...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-14-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #30

I wave to everyone blessed with the same good taste as mine. When I walk down the street with my fiance and I see a guy with a hot girl, I wave. When I hear someone order the same entre I ordered at the restaurant, I wave. When I see someone wearing the same shoes as mine, I wave. Most of the time I get these blank stares back, but I don't care. People can be so unfriendly sometimes.

Z.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #31
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosxter7
I see no reason to wave to other boxsters, I do wave to other motorcycle riders when im on my bike, but just is not the same in a car.
I have actually gotten several waves and thumbs up from motorcycle guys...especially Harley riders!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I have actually gotten several waves and thumbs up from motorcycle guys...especially Harley riders!
Same here. I think it's the love for the twisties that connects.

Z.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Hi,

It's not at all unfriendly. You guys are the ones who are overanalyzing things labeling those not similarly inclined to return your jesture as unfriendly.

They may not see you, may be concentrating on driving (as they should), be listening to the radio, feel no obligation to respond to a stranger, or simply not give a ********************.

It seems it's you who have the problem with that, not the other way around. Let it go...

I don't expect people to wave back. If they do... cool. If not... I could really care less. I understand not everyone see's you waving, knows why you are waving, or has time to react. But if you see someone waving, know why they are waving, and have made a conscious decision to not wave back... you ARE being unfriendly. That's like someone complimenting your car or giving you a thumbs up and purposely blowing them off. To have to justify not giving a small gesture of good-will when given the opportunity is pretty messed up in my opinion.
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Hi,

It's not at all gratuitous. You're the one who keeps putting labels to it. For your information, I do belong to several other Car Forums, both general and marque specific. In fact, I'm a moderator on two of them.

And you keep discounting the fact that my presence here was my choice, not some obligation. If you wanna wave - fine. But, don't chide me because I choose not to wave back...

You just made my point. You go to other forums to serve your purpose, yet you still come here to a group of people which you have a common ground with.

No one said that it was an obligation, nor did they even suggest that.

All I am saying is not to act like you are the exception here and you aren't here for the same reason the rest of us are.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #35

My all time favorite acknowledgment while driving my car top down (stuck in traffic Jam on The Garden State Parkway):

A guy who looked very similar to Samuel L. Jackson to boot but not driving a Boxster:

"YEAH!! THAT'S WHAT I"M MOTHER *#$&'^@'g TALKIN' ABOUT! HELL YEAH!!"
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
My all time favorite acknowledgment while driving my car top down (stuck in traffic Jam on The Garden State Parkway):

A guy who looked very similar to Samuel L. Jackson to boot but not driving a Boxster:

Wow... How do you respond to that one? lol
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

Moments like that are priceless.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #38

In Iowa everyone gets the same "farmer wave"....no matter if you are driving a Porsche or John Deere or Case or...........
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #39
bmussatti

I wave to farmers all the time. They are always good for a wave back. Gotta love those farmers!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #40

Where's Iowa? Two quick headlight flashes is good for me!