Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #1

Question No start - but have electrical

I have a problem that comes and goes.

Every once in a while my "key less" remote does not work.

Once I enter the car using the key in the traditional manor, everything work - except the starter will not "turn over" or even make a noise.

I wait a day or two, then everything works again!!!

I heard ignition switches were an issue on early models (mine is a 99) - could this be the issue?

It just so weird that the remote entry does not work either ..... ugh.

One of those things I am sure will not occur once I tow it to the dealer.

Help!!!!!

Let me add more details

It resets (or what ever it is doing) after about 12 hours.

The two problems - no start and no remote working ALWAYS happen at the same time.

And right now, for the first time, In addition to the can not starting the power windows will not roll up.

The car is a manual. I checked all the fuses. I will try and Jump Start it tonight and try and roll start it if jumping does not work.

ANY ISSUES WITH ROLL STARTING (PUSHING IT FAST AND ENGAGING THE GEARS)?

Last edited by sturgedm; 07-03-2003 at 08:02 AM.
sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:14 PM   #2

Initial thoughts on the remote is a dead battery in the key. However, once it is in the idnition, it should still start the car. I do not beleive they are related problems.

1) key/battery and (2) ignition switch. Sounds like a trip to Dr. Porshce.......
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:52 AM   #3

Could your impression of the "sometimes works" remote operation be after 5 days or more not driving the car? If so, you may be encountering the "battery saving" feature of the security system (turns off the remote "standby" after a few days to save power).

I just did a little experiment to help me think this through - removed the battery from my key (Panasonic CR 2032 / 3V, BTW) and could open (of course, manually) and start the car. So it appears there is no "magic" with the key talking to the ignition system, etc. relative to starting the car. So the key's battery health shouldn't matter.

You don't mention if you have a tiptronic or manual tranny - but the clutch switch is another suspect if you have a manual. If not fully engaged or working properly, the car won't crank. Similarly, for the tip, there is a sensor or interlock for Park/Neutral relative to starting which would operate similarly. If I were debugging my own car, I'd probably check these out next - they should be easier to get to and check out than the ignition key switch.

-Don

BTW, you may or may not know that you only get one shot at cranking the engine without having to turn the key all the way back to the left... unlike most american and japanese cars. We had some "fun" with this when a friend stalled my car in traffic - it "wouldn't start" repeatedly... until turned *all* the way off. And then the steering locks, so you don't want to be rolling, like we were at the time...
Old 07-03-2003, 08:04 AM   #4

I added some more details above

If my dealer was not such a con man, I'd take it in but since he is ....

Thanks for all the help, but still can get it to crank ... see above for more details.:ah:
sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:25 AM   #5

Smile Hey Donv!

Quote:
you only get one shot at cranking the engine without having to turn the key all the way back to the left
That really perplexed me when I first got the Boxster. I had a hell of a time starting it a lot of the time. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. My wife never had a problem with it, I felt like a real dumbass. I also did not realize at the time that unless you have the clutch depressed ALL THE WAY, it won't start either. Things you learn the hard way.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:04 PM   #6
Forum Contributor

Mjbliemel,

... Funny, I am experiencing the same problem. The car has not fired twice when I tried it and every time my wife has started it ... no problem! Do boxsters have a preference for female drivers???

Was your problem just the clutch? Mine is a tiptronic I wander if there is something stupid that I seem to be doing when the car doesn't start???

DB
devboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #7

You are going to have to be hooked up to the PST2 to find out what is going on.

My guess is a flakey control unit under the drivers seat. That will cause the remote not to work, not start, and a window problem.

I was first thinking of the ignition switch. As you say this is a problem on many years until Porsche just changed the design. But this should have nothing to do with the remote not working.

If you have a good remote then I think it is going to turn out to be the control unit.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
Forum Contributor

I've had kind of the same problem in that after I've left the top down and set the alarm, when I get back in I cannot get it to start right away. This has happened to me three times in the past two weeks. After a few minutes playing with the stick, alarm, and key, it finally turns over. Never happens with the top up.

Is there something special to be done with the top down? I know it disables the IR sensor, but does it require some other technique upon re-entry?

Does anyone know when Porsche changed the iginitions?

atomichead is offline   Reply With Quote