Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #1

Dirty Fuel Filter or somethind else?

Hello all.

I have an 02 boxster with 19k miles. My car started to "lose" power. In other words, when I start out in 1st gear it's fine, but then when I shift the engine "lags" a bit and the rpm's go from 2 to 3.5 with out much feel in power. Is this due to a dirty fuel filter. I did go almost to empty a couple of times right before that and noticed after I filled up. Also, when coming to a corner and pull out of the corner on 2nd I have to give it more gas than I did before or the car feels like it;s going to stall. Any input would be halpful.

Thanks

jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:22 AM   #2

I dont really know what is wrong with your car, but in a situation like that I would suggest if your not already using 91 or more octane you should consider it. Also if you are I might suggest using a fuel additive, ONCE(not continuously), with a full tank of super unleaded and see if that helps. Bad fuel or clogging injectors can sometimes cause results like what your experiencing.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #3

Thanks,
I dont know, I always use 93 octane. I was just on the highway and when in 5th gear I hit the gas, I notice the rpm's jump from 3 to 4.5 and hardly any acceleration then it kicks in , feels like turbo lag from cars i have had in the past.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #4

re: I notice the rpm's jump from 3 to 4.5 and hardly any acceleration then it kicks in ,

Sounds like an aging clutch to me - wheels not keeping up with the engine RPMs
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:35 AM   #5

Aging clutch huh? The car has 19,000 miles on it, I have had 5 rpevious stick cars and neither one of them have I had a problem with the clutch. Could this be possible at such low miles for the clutch to go, anyone have any similar stories of the clutch going so soon?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #6

I just stopped by the dealer and it is my clutch it;s going. The mechanic says the clutches avg. life is about 30K miles, I only have 19k and the car is about a 1 1/2 years old!!!! I dont even abuse or burn out my tires, my Pzeros lasted about 16K miles in the rear!!!! They said it isnt under warranty and about $1500 to fix. OUCH!! Is this the norm or is there anything I could do? Any help is appreciated. BTW MY car is always at the shop under warraty, evap cannister, repeated air valve, and sensors, had a suspension component wear prematurely etc. I am starting to hate this car, nothing but trouble.

If I do have to replace should I replace at an aftermarket porshce shop and install a performance clutch. What clutch should I go with, and what is the avg price for clutch labor or both.

Can I call Porsch of N. America and complaint othem about my clutch , would they do something for me.

Any stories, idea, thougths are reatly apprecaited.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:57 PM   #7

Jay,

I feel for you.

16K on rear PZeros is impressive - I only got 11K on my OE PZeros - fortunately I have 32K so far on the clutch.

Tire wear and clutch wear can be inversely related. The clutch slips when the tires are gripping and the tires can slip when the clutch is gripping. I'm not accusing you of clutch abuse - just thinking that long lasting tires doesn't PROVE you are easy on the clutch.

Will Porsche NA help? I wouldn't think so - clutch, brakes and tires are assumed to be wear items unless they actually break during use.

PPBB has a few stories of early clutch wear - your next clutch may last much longer. I suspect I'm fairly easy on clutches - I put 110K on the clutch of my Sentra.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote