Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Peter Egan's Latest

I received March issue of Road & Track several days ago. Did my usual back to front flip-thru. Savored Peter Egan's "Side Glances" column (interesting piece on demographics - among the tidbits someone decided Porsche owners are Republicans. Then left the mag in the Master Throne Room for future perusal.

Man! Today read a piece that I had not noticed that Egan had penned. "Drive the High Country." It documents his 190 SLR drive of the Colorado Grand, a non-TSD road rally. A few old Porsches - mostly 356 Carreras - draw mentions. But this article is a masterful story of old classics on the road in a scenic wonderland.

The issue is worth an immediate trip to the news stand if you are not a subscriber.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #2

On my way. Thanks for the heads up.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #3

He should have titled it "Drive the High Country ... If You Can Afford It". Last I heard the entry fee was circa $5,000, plus having the right car, of course.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #4

I noticed R&T has already posted the latest "Side Glances." But not the Colorado Grand.

Ronzi's right. Most of us won't be participating. But with marques like most participant's, $5k is chump change. Beats the $20k to run that mini-Cannonball wanna-be. Can't remember the name of it. NYC - Chicago or maybe Detroit?
PCA since 1970
Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Hi,

I have a friend with an '85 Lamborghini Countach QV, and I got to navigate with him in the Running of the Bulls 3 yrs. ago in Cali. This was officially sanctioned with CHPs all along the routes. Speed Offenders were ticketed with the fines going to charities (per preagreement). It was interesting watching the CHPs time the speed runs with their radars, while another CHP wrote out the tickets for the speeds clocked a half mile down the road. That event cost some participants in excess of $20k, depending upon how fast, and how often, they chose to exceed the posted limits. My buddy dropped about $7500. In total, I think over $250k was raised. Good fun for a Good cause...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi, I have a friend with an '85 Lamborghini Countach QV, and I got to navigate with him in the Running of the Bulls 3 yrs. ago in Cali. Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Yeah, thanks Jim. I think that is probably what I was trying to remember. The one I was trying to recall is the Bullrun and in 2006 it ran from NY City to Beverly Hills. Entry fee was $14k. Didn't see anything about charity, but over 400 tickets and $100k in fines were generated.

More info if you wanna run next year at:

http://www.bullrun.com/template.php?id=1

PCA since 1970