Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #1

2003 Boxster oil overfilled

I just bought this jewel 10 days ago (50,000 miles) and about 5 days ago I noticed a CEL (cylinders misfiring) and the digital and dipstick reading were to the top. I drained 2.5 quarters of oil until finally got it reading in between the marks. I'm noticing too much smoke at startup for like 40 seconds and dissipates. It will smoke very bad at next startup if it sits for more than 30 minutes. Reading all the posts here I think I only need to replace the oil separator. Hopefully the engine did not get stuck for excess of oil. Do you think I will need to do something else? I will appreciate any advise from you guys. This is my first Porsche and this one really I love it. The dealer doesn't know when and where was the oil last changed. I run this engine maybe like 300 miles before I noticed this problem. Do you think I need to do more than replace the separator?. The engine missfire a bit some times but still very strong. Help will be very appreciated, Thank you

dgtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #2

I don't really have any input on your situation, but I had noticed when I got my preowned Boxster over a month ago that the digital oil gauge showed all segments illuminated (over fill). When I changed my oil a few weeks ago, I put in 9.5 quarts before I thought about it - I should have put in about 8.5, then let it settle and probably run the engine for a few seconds. Then see what the digital gauge reads, and add oil accordingly.

I think what I might do is remove the filter cannister and dump it, reinstall it and then see where the meter reads.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I don't really have any input on your situation, but I had noticed when I got my preowned Boxster over a month ago that the digital oil gauge showed all segments illuminated (over fill). When I changed my oil a few weeks ago, I put in 9.5 quarts before I thought about it - I should have put in about 8.5, then let it settle and probably run the engine for a few seconds. Then see what the digital gauge reads, and add oil accordingly.

I think what I might do is remove the filter cannister and dump it, reinstall it and then see where the meter reads.
Hi,

An easy way to correct an overfill is to get some tubing and a MityVac and extract the excess oil through the dipstick tube. This works quite well, ask me how I know. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #4

Smile

I have a MityVac and love it.

Comes in handy for these kinds of situations also.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

An easy way to correct an overfill is to get some tubing and a MityVac and extract the excess oil through the dipstick tube. This works quite well, ask me how I know. Good Luck!...

Hi,

Oooh No, wait, you don't have a dipstick tube! Oh well, looks like you're going underneath the car then. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #6

Smile

It is a sad statement about the Germans that they are going in this direction.

Sorry, I trust their electronics about as much as I trust my first wife!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

Seriously, it's very frustrating that they got rid of the dipstick. Add the electronics, but keep the deepstick as a redundancy. Oil level is THE most important fluid level for the car and no one wants to have any doubts about it. What a stupid move.

Z.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Seriously, it's very frustrating that they got rid of the dipstick. Add the electronics, but keep the deepstick as a redundancy. Oil level is THE most important fluid level for the car and no one wants to have any doubts about it. What a stupid move.

Z.
Could not agree more!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Could not agree more!
Darn it, you better be joking.
If not, I reverse my previous statement.

Z.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #10

Thanks for your response

I just drained it from the bottom thru the drain plug, not big deal.
My concern is really if the engine is damaged or just needs an oil separator because it smokes like hell at startup but just for few seconds then stops. Misfires a little bit, I have a CEL (P0300 thru 6) every often. I just erase the last one 2 days ago. I also put some mistery oil in the gas tank to clean the fuel injectors, it sounds smoother now but smokes at start.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtal
I just drained it from the bottom thru the drain plug, not big deal.
My concern is really if the engine is damaged or just needs an oil separator because it smokes like hell at startup but just for few seconds then stops. Misfires a little bit, I have a CEL (P0300 thru 6) every often. I just erase the last one 2 days ago. I also put some mistery oil in the gas tank to clean the fuel injectors, it sounds smoother now but smokes at start.

Thanks
Hi,

I would never add Mystery Oil to a modern Fuel System. It's just Snake Oil. Mostly made up of Mineral Spirits, Naptha and chlorinated HC's (think Brake Cleaner). While it's not likely to hurt the engine (though prolonged use may), it certainly doesn't do it any good either. See their MSDS Sheet for details: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/MSDS/marvel_mystery/marvel_mystery_oil.pdf ...

Old 02-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #12

Smile

What's up with the German engineers, locking drain plugs so that we can't check OR change our own oil?

Old 02-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Oooh No, wait, you don't have a dipstick tube! Oh well, looks like you're going underneath the car then. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Jim, he has the tube and a dipstick. They didn't do away with that until 05.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Jim, he has the tube and a dipstick. They didn't do away with that until 05.
Hi,

My mistake, I keep thinking it was '03...

Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #15

Thanks for the advise
Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #16

Guess what....I fixed it. Replaced Oil separator ($135 from local dealer). Smoke free!!. I did it myself. All work done from the top. No more CEL. Only noticing little stall at high acceleration with down shifting, it looks like spark plugs.
Thank you 986forum.com
Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtal
Guess what....I fixed it. Replaced Oil separator ($135 from local dealer). Smoke free!!. I did it myself. All work done from the top. No more CEL. Only noticing little stall at high acceleration with down shifting, it looks like spark plugs.
Thank you 986forum.com
Good job, glad to hear it!