Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 03:36 AM   #1

kchikchikchikchi but no vroom! engine won't start. pls help.

I have had my 1997 Tiptronic Boxster for two months now. It has done about 110000km prior to my purchase. The car started fine from when I first got it, although sometimes it takes quite a good few seconds of ignition key to get it started and when it did, the revs tend to shoot up to about 2000rpm for a fraction of a second. I am not sure if that's normal on a Boxster.

But lately, I have had 3 episodes of the car not starting at all after a drive. I haven't had any problems with it starting cold, but after a drive, whether long or short, the car would sometimes not start when turning the key. If the normal starting noise is "kchikchikchikchi.... vroooomm", then what I am getting is just "kchikchikchikchi......". As I tried repeatedly to start it, sometimes the car would appear to have started but would then stall straight away. The previous two episodes, I was able to get the car started after about ten minutes of doing nothing - of not trying to start it.

I find that the car would just ""kchikchikchikchi......" if I keep trying to start it. If I leave it for 5 minutes, and then try, it would "kchikchikchikchi...... vroom" but then stall straight away. If I leave it for long enough, it would start (the first two times at least). The third episode happened mid-night tonight. I couldn't get it started at all despite leaving it alone for 30minutes at a time. The car had to be towed home after being stranded next to at a petrol station pump for 3hrs. I am very frustrated.

My original impression was that the car starts when absolutely cold, but not when warm/hot. But I tried to start the car this morning after the incident, cold, the car wouldn't start, same problem... it now seems not heat related anymore.

The battery is fine, nonetheless I have already tried jump starting it anyway without success.

I have read something about a fuel pump is to blame? Or the engine "freezing" which basically requires a complete engine replacement. I really hope it doesn't come to this as I've only owned the car for 2 months.

Please help out. Many thanks in advance.

Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #2

Have you checked the battery voltage, at the battery. If so read the other post's about not starting.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=919

Very rarely does a motor stop [freeze], but for unusual circumstances.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #3

Doh Jinster!
That does not sound good. Good luck with solving the problem