Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #1

Carrera GT Poser

Wow, this is pretty damn funny or maybe the better word is 'pathetic'. He converted a boxster into a Carrera GT, or at least tried to.

What inspires people to do this kinda stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/carrera-gt-rebody-custom-Boxster-exotic-Ferrari-looks_W0QQitemZ170075157406QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6015 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #2

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I mean, at least he used a Porsche and didn't try to stretch a Fiero. Besides, where do you want to draw the line on modding? Using GT3 bumpers are ok, but... Using hardtops that are Caymen-like are ok, but... Why should it matter what someoneELSE does to a boxster? I'm sure it is much more affordable to insure and a person would feel more comfortable using the replicar as a daily driver rather than a garage/track queen "real" GT.

Last edited by cfos; 02-02-2007 at 09:22 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I agree with cfos. This car is ugly, poorly constructed (check out how non-symmetrical the wheel wells are), way out of proportion (look at how small those 19" wheels look on it!), and the guy is obviously lying about everything (he's owned 8 Boxsters, Ferrari, Lambo, and has the writing style of a child), etc., etc., etc.,

HOWEVER .... I can't roll my eyes any more at him than I can at someone who upgrades their seats, lights, wheels, etc., things I may do someday. It's all personal preference as to where you draw the line between "ok" mods and "not ok" mods.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I agree with Yellowjacket and cfos. I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't do that with a car, but it looks like he did quite a bit of work on that Boxster. And at least he didn't rice it out. The car is tasteful, IMHO.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #5

Body kits, etc., are an acquired taste, I guess, but the thing that would bother me is the wheelbase has apparently been STRETCHED by a foot, according to the endless description that accompanies the ad. I can only imagine what this would do to the finely balanced handling of the original car, not to mention chassis ridgidity..
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #6

If the CGT didn't exist, I would be all over that.

But the fact it is trying to fool people into thinking it's a CGT would make me not want it.

But it is hot.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
and has the writing style of a child
LOL - too true

I think the car looks pretty good. Not something I would do myself, but I like the look of it.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #8

My post isn't implying that it is not OK to modify the car. There is a big difference between doing mods for personal taste and trying to turn a car into something it isn't. THIS car has a Carrera GT badge on the back. His efforts to modify this car were strictly based on creating a 'poser' of another car. Same as the BMW 325i owners who debadge then add an M Badge they bought off of e-bay.

I'm all for modifications, I am planning to do some myself, but I'm certainly not going to turn my Boxster into a Ferrari Modena.

....and I think the car looks horrible, it doesn't seem to be correctly proportioned and if you went over 100mph pieces would probably start falling off.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea thats rice in my opinion, even trough somewhere doen there there is a porsche.

instead of getting thumbs up, u get the other way around, even after all the money that was dumped into it. <--- i think i found my new definition of rice
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

On the + side, I like that you can actually access the engine.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #11

At least he didn't add a 'Type R' badge.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #12

Doesn't look bad to me...this is a better version of it...The white one has the second set of humps that makes it look horrific.

...not for me, but interesting none the less.

Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #13

and don't overlook the Lambo doors, what supercar would be complete without them...lol

Last edited by Boxter; 02-02-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #14

I'm not having some of the issues (I guess) other people are having. I don't find it the replicar THAT ugly. Likewise, I've had my fair share of issues with digital pictures so debating whether or not proportions are "correct" is really moot, especially without seeing the car in person (or seeing very many "real" ones in person, up close with my handy protractor nearby so I can write down measurements).

Having said that, I'm not going to buy it. But, if the issue is about "pretending" to be something that it isn't... I still don't have any problem with it. Am I missing something here? I mean... if you came across someone with, oh I don't know, "augmented" breasts come to mind... are you going to berate them for trying to be something they are not? Do you really care? If it makes people happy and it isn't hurting anyone, who gives a f?

In some ways this is the same issue where owners of manuals berate owners of Tiptronics because "sports" cars are "made" for "sticks", especially when people say "you-don't-really-have-a-Porsche-since-it-is-an-automatic". I find it especially funny when the people that say this drive a used Jeep Chereoke as their only car (sorry, personal rant).

But, since we are discussing replicars, one day, I think I would like to own a Speedster replica -- I like the ones made by Beck:

http://www.mybeckspeedster.com/BeckSpeedster/Default.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #15

I can't see the car in the link ( ebay is blocked here at work ) but IMHO the black one posted here doesn't look half bad...

Just my $0.02,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #16

http://www.kitcar.cc/
pics can be found here...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #17

Here's my opinion on replica's, if you're going to make one at least make it the correct size. The CGT is a big car whereas the Boxster is not. It's like the people who make Countachs on a Fiero frame and don't stretch it or anything, looks ridiculous. Another thing that really gets to me is people that make replicas of cars that are super rare. For instance there's a guy here that has a 288GTO replica, I mean come on that car is a million plus if you can find one. What are the chances that you'll ever see one, pretty much noda.

The only Porsche replica that stands out in my book as a cool car is the Beck replicas and that's more of a reproduction than a replica. Everything on that car is to specs of the original. Although the 356 widebody is a cool looking car to me.

I remember back in the early to mid 90's there was a 500SL replica built on a Lebaron chassis. Always made me laugh, so you get a German looking car on a crappy American chassis. Cool.

That black Carroxster looks ok but, it's nothing I'd do to my car.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #18

FYI
They did stretch the boxster frame 12" to match the wheelbase of the CGT here...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
At least he didn't add a 'Type R' badge.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #20

Hi,

The thing which would concern me the most (aside from someone I knew actually seeing me in that thing), would be how fragile it would be. It's unlikely that the CF is very heavy and able to withstand a few bumps and bruises.

Just try and find this guy when a replacement part is needed, or convince your insurance Co. that they should pay for non-standard parts...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote