Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
thi is a video of top gear bashing on that thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqhuPYv-Jw

it only looks nice...
Ha - that is a great vid.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #22

I saw a Alpina Z8 at the BMW dealership a few years back. It had a sticker of about 125K. Nice looking car, but I can think of better ways to spend that kind of coin. 911 turbo comes to mind.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #23

I know what I'd get for $120k, Callaway C16. 620hp in a track monster that's not rear-engined. Maybe a little rougher around town, but dear god just rev that engine...

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
thi is a video of top gear bashing on that thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqhuPYv-Jw

it only looks nice...
Hi,

I couldn't disagree more, we all know where Jeremy Clarkson is coming from. What he doesn't know about cars would fill a library! Remember, the Z8 Alpina did equal the Lap Time of the Lamborghini Murcielago on the track - hardly the stuff of a confused Boulevardier. Here is an except from one review of the car:

"The Z8 held BMW's production car performance records for several years, and many journalists praised the car, but some of the UK motoring press took umberage at the car's LDH only configuration and chose not to lavish the praise the car received in Europe and the USA. Most notable amongst these was Jeremy Clarkson, who whilst reviewing the Alpina edition of the Z8 on Top Gear (Series 2 Episode 3), described the car as having terrible handling and being an example of a car that never knew what it was supposed to be (supercar or roadster), but then again this is the same man who said the Lotus Elise couldn't handle until he was shown that it was his driving skills that were at fault, not the car."

While I didn't have the opportunity to take it on the track, on the street, the Z8 Alpina is more than adequate and certainly worth the price tag.

While engine HP was reduced from 400HP to 375HP with the Alpina variant, torque was greatly enhanced to 383 lb-ft. from the original 363 lb-ft. which was readily noticeable on the street. The Automatic is actually BMW's own Steptronic, far better than Porsche's Tiptronic S.

The owner and I actually swapped cars for the afternoon and we both came to the conclusion that a Boxster/Z8 offspring would offer the ultimate driving experience. The power of the Z8 is something Boxster owners can only dream of, and looks? With that long Hood & Boattail ? - Get outta town!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-01-2007 at 07:06 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i like the way that car looks, but for what you get for that kinda money, (if i was considering spending that much dough), i would not even put that car on my list at all...

but damn Jim, tell that guy to come here to chicago so we can swap cars for a weekend lol
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #26

I just have to repeat two things I've said before:

1. I didn't find the Z8 body appealing but I always gain a new appreciation for a car when I see it nicely detailed in black:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-2DR-6-SPEED-MANUAL-CONVERTIBLE-LEATHER-POWER-TOP_W0QQitemZ300074763297QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36470Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But I still think the Boxster looks better, more classic, and will age better.

2. What TF is the tach doing a yard to the right of the driver?

Z.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #27

rare because it is ugly. i have driven one, and did not like it. the speedo was the only cool thing in that car. really over priced, i'd rather buy a ferrari at that price.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #28

Funny that some of you say it is not worth the money.

This car began production in 2000 I think and went on to 2003.

The cars STILL sell for 100k at least. Why? Because they were limited production vehicles.

That's the same reason Ferraris hold their value (despite the fact ferrari over-produces their F series for the last 15 years)

It's not because a Ferrari is the greatest car in the world and uses such extreme technological advancements that it sells for so much. True, they are great cars, but their value is based primarily on their limited network and production.

It's a very simple economical concept I can explain in detail if anyone likes.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #29
boggtown

But you know whats crazy is that a 1996 993 turbo can go for over 100K, while an 03 will go for 70K. Whats up with that?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
But you know whats crazy is that a 1996 993 turbo can go for over 100K, while an 03 will go for 70K. Whats up with that?

Supply and demand.. MANY more 996TTs made (and therefore available) than the aircooled 993TT. The only 993TTs that I see going for more than 100K are the "S" models... extra hp and very limited availability to begin with.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #31

"MNBoxster"

I actually saw the episode with Clarkson driving the Elise and found it hilarious.
I would suggest anyone interested check out the link on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qNdsRT_qA

That said I would bet that he baulked at the Stig taking the Z8 around the track after his trouncing because he knew it would have been a stark contrast...and amazingly it was. Not much attention paid to that result either...5 min of the clip dedicated to the horrible performance and feel and 20 seconds on the actual outcome on the track.

Although I enjoy the show, he has proved himself time and time again to be something closer to an entertainer than anything else.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear

Last edited by Boxter; 02-01-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #32

I've driven several Z8 models including the Alpina, they are incredible vehicles, you should look out for "mushrooming" shock towers, BMW has just released a strut tower brace(very time consuming to install)which prevents the mushrooming.
it is a on a different level than any Viper, i think some are comparing apples to oranges. An Aston Martin is a better comparison.

Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote