Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Todays Mod/Hack;Instrument Gauge Rings

Well today was the final addition to my interior,the instrument gauge rings. A board member sold them to me a for a price I couldn't resist. Let me state this now,these do absolutely nothing performance wise and I have no clue why they cost so much for so little. Installation was super easy,cut up some double sided tape and installed. It matches nicely with my other interior mods and finally I'm 100% done with some aspect of the car!

List of my interior mods;
-Installed the option XMU - Gear shift knob/hand brake grip in combination with aluminum/leather,$100
-Porsche emblem steering wheel crest,$15
-Artic Silver dead pedal,door trim by handle,"c" clips and airbag,$100
-"Boxster" door sills,$85
-gauge rings,$80
-rear spoiler switch,$35 + $5(custom made harness)

Stereo mods,it's not the best sounding but enough for me and enough to compliments on how it sounds;
-MB Quart component tweeters,$80
-OEM rear speaker kit,$180

I attached some pictures.
1st is of the first change I did,the handbrake and shift knob.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/DSCF0718.jpg

2nd if of the interior w/o the gauge rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0106.jpg

3rd is of the instrument cluster w/o rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0109.jpg

4th,interior done(too dark to do the car justice,I will take another in sunlight)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0345.jpg

5th,instrument cluster w/ rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0339.jpg
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house

Last edited by blinkwatt; 01-30-2007 at 12:45 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Registered User
 
ohioboxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Akron
Posts: 793
That looks really nice! I have often wondered why they are so expensive too.
__________________
2002 TT
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
looks nice man, very nice.
yea i dont know y they are expencive either, i just painted mine, same thing to me, as long as they are silver, i am actually thinking of redoing them in matching ocean jade, im not sure if ill go with it or not yet.
heres what the painted ones look like
http://i5.tinypic.com/2lmxs83.jpg
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
Looks much better with the other silver accents. Your steering wheel badge seems a little off center to the right to me though.
__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kenner, LA
Posts: 23
Send a message via MSN to jteixidor
Speaker kit

Where did you get the rear speaker kit for $180


Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Well today was the final addition to my interior,the instrument gauge rings. A board member sold them to me a for a price I couldn't resist. Let me state this now,these do absolutely nothing performance wise and I have no clue why they cost so much for so little. Installation was super easy,cut up some double sided tape and installed. It matches nicely with my other interior mods and finally I'm 100% done with some aspect of the car!

List of my interior mods;
-Installed the option XMU - Gear shift knob/hand brake grip in combination with aluminum/leather,$100
-Porsche emblem steering wheel crest,$15
-Artic Silver dead pedal,door trim by handle,"c" clips and airbag,$100
-"Boxster" door sills,$85
-gauge rings,$80
-rear spoiler switch,$35 + $5(custom made harness)

Stereo mods,it's not the best sounding but enough for me and enough to compliments on how it sounds;
-MB Quart component tweeters,$80
-OEM rear speaker kit,$180

I attached some pictures.
1st is of the first change I did,the handbrake and shift knob.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/DSCF0718.jpg

2nd if of the interior w/o the gauge rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0106.jpg

3rd is of the instrument cluster w/o rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0109.jpg

4th,interior done(too dark to do the car justice,I will take another in sunlight)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0345.jpg

5th,instrument cluster w/ rings
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0339.jpg
__________________
Joshua
2001 Boxster
2.7 , 30K miles
jteixidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
Did you have the console painted blue also or did it come that way?
__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Your steering wheel badge seems a little off center to the right to me though.
The steering wheel is slighty turned that's why it looks like that.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Did you have the console painted blue also or did it come that way?
It was an option that the car came with.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteixidor
Where did you get the rear speaker kit for $180
I bought it from Mid America off of eBay.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Looks good, Blink, now you just need a good vacuum for those mats!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 644
Nice job Blinkwatt! Looks really nice!!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
Registered User
 
KevinH1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,367
Nice job - we must have similar tastes. I added the same gauge rings and Porsche crest.
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver/Black, Hard Top, On Board Computer
PNP Rear Speakers, HAES 6-channel amp, Avic Z140BH,
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top and Frame
Homelink transmitter integrated in dash with Targa switch
Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated seats, litronics, painted console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-30-2007 at 10:54 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Hi,

Robt. - looks nice. I'm curious, do you have issues with glare when installing these trim rings?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
I put the trim rings on mine as well. There's no daylight glare problem with them in place at all. What I find cool is that at night, they give off a little extra reflection off the background gauge illumination.

__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
No glare problems yet Jim. Now here is a pic of what it looks with lighting,very nice!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/blinkwatt/PICT0348-1.jpg
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 373
Blinkwatt,

Glad they made it safely. They look much better than without. Take care,

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,052
Looks good, man! I like the upgrades. One thing though--Porschekid is right--your badge on the steering wheel is definitely a little too far to the right. It doesn't line up with the center of the steering wheel.

Also, is it just the photos or are your seats turning brown? They look like they might be a bit dirty is all.
__________________
2005 Seal Grey Boxster S
987 Amberectomy
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Also, is it just the photos or are your seats turning brown? They look like they might be a bit dirty is all.
I noticed thats how the seats look unless they are in direct sunlight when pictures are taken with my camera,but they are still definitely the way they are supposed to be=not brown.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page