Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Nip / Tuck - The Boxster saga

Well I had been wanting to update the look of my Boxster for the last few months, so I had started off with buying some skirts (Zender) and the bumper diffuser.

About to send those off to the body shop to be painted, when wife bought me the Aero I kit for Xmas, so I put the zender's back on the self since I now have the big new box from Germany with new bumper, skirts and back lid with spoiler.

Take it all down to the body shop to get painted / installed, we inventory everything to make sure all is accounted for, yeap all checks out per packing slip and install instructions.

I leave with the Box since we took the time to pre-fit and did paint matching (OEM for my year had two shades of Artic Silver and neither really matched 100%)

They call me a few days later to bring the car on in and I take her on in and drop her off, was nervous till I seen a very sharp Lotus being worked on next to where they pulled mine to.

I am told the better part of the day to install, so I get the wife to pick me up and go home to wait . . . .. .

I get a call that afternoon to come on down that they are just finishing up and will be ready by the time I get there . . .

As my wife is driving me over I get a frantic call from the shop on my mobile saying that they have an "Issue" and that I am going to have to look at it.... Oh no I think what the hell is going on...

I get there and a few people are all around my car looking and shaking their heads, and I walk up quickly looking at the car but see no damage and it looking pretty sharp, so I ask them what the issue is?

They ask me to give it a good looking over and again I stare and look over every inch of the car and still do not see any thing wrong, I mean paint matches perfect no gaps with the hood/bumper, tail and spoiler look great, skirts are . . . . . . . .

Damn!!!!

Skirts are two different versions!! drivers side is Aero I and passengers Aero II
And I was the one who opened the original box from Porsche and we did not catch it when we inventoried or did the pre-fit

So you guess it, back to the garage to get the Zender's

Now I wait again . . . .

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
damn man, that sux, but i tink ull get a much better look with zender side, to spice it up a little (even though it has to be this way)

post pics when done please
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #3

Travis, get the 986->996 turbo facelift conversion, its probably the sexiest modifcation for your boxster

replaces the front fenders, headlights, and front bumper with parts from the 996 turbo, looks absolutely gorgeous in my opinion, and is supposedly very easy to install. you should really consider it if you want to make your boxster really stand out. Theres only a handful of boxsters with the modifcation, and almost all are in europe.
Pharaoh Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #4

As I read your post all that I could hear is "Cha-Ching" and my wife's divorce attorney laughing

I really like the stock design of the 986, it just needs a little "nip & tuck".

I do like the way Jeph's turned out, but that would be out of my budget, for now just the Aero kit and later this week installing the litronics.

And of course when I burn off the rubber on my new tires I will be "forced" to upgrade to 18" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh Sphinx
Travis, get the 986->996 turbo facelift conversion, its probably the sexiest modifcation for your boxster

replaces the front fenders, headlights, and front bumper with parts from the 996 turbo, looks absolutely gorgeous in my opinion, and is supposedly very easy to install. you should really consider it if you want to make your boxster really stand out. Theres only a handful of boxsters with the modifcation, and almost all are in europe.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about the mismatched parts, bud! So you're going to have them put on the zenders and take off the Aero I and II skirts? Or, are you going to send the II back and get a I to match?

One thing everyone should know is that you should inspect all parts coming out of a Porsche box. I've had THREE wrong parts put in the right boxes now.

That's just sloppy distribution, ain't it?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
boggtown

Isnt the zender skirt the same as the aerokit II? Or is that the wierd one that comes up by the door?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #7

Randall - I had them remove both Aero skirts and paint / install the Zenders, that way I have both on hand to deal with Porsche if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Isnt the zender skirt the same as the aerokit II? Or is that the wierd one that comes up by the door?
I have attached the Aero I & II style skirts along with the Zender style.

The Aero II & Zender I think are quite close but not an exact match.

Aero I

Aero II

Zender
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #8

Be sure to post some pix of the car when you get it. I should have my skirts and rear diffuser on by Saturday afternoon, just in time for the PCA event out at the race track.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #9

You going to the race track on saturday for the Horses & Porsches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Be sure to post some pix of the car when you get it. I should have my skirts and rear diffuser on by Saturday afternoon, just in time for the PCA event out at the race track.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #10

Oh yeah. Wife is going too. She would love your wife's company, that's for sure! She gets tired of me yacking about Pcars for hours and hours on end.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
One thing everyone should know is that you should inspect all parts coming out of a Porsche box. I've had THREE wrong parts put in the right boxes now.

That's just sloppy distribution, ain't it?
I can second that, I just picked my car up from the body shop, they were suppose to replace the bumper with the Aero II, even went to the stealer to verify the part number before it got ordered, I get there and the car has the AeroI bumper on it. Not much I can do about it as they gave me the option to verify the parts before they painted but I was in Germany.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #12

thats very odd. my situation was similar.

i bought the zender skirts for the boxster and what i got was skirts for a 996.
i was sitting there for an hour trying to strech the skirts and fit them on the car....not a good idea. i call the dude that i bought them from, and he was so embarrased. he knew 100% that i had a boxster and the skirts were for a boxster. so back to the waiting game.......

but hey after all the issues, you are going to love the body kit. when i got mine put on, i forgot about all the issues i went throught.

do post pics please!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #13

Well I am starting to feel better now that I hear the stories of others

(better not say that too loud, BruceLee might start charging me for therapy)

Randall, My wife and I are also planing to go to the race track on Saturday, will confirm with you on Friday and we can meet up at the site.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #14

Travis, what did you do with the wrong skirt since it was alreadly painted? Did the supplier compensate or were you left holding the bag?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Travis, what did you do with the wrong skirt since it was alreadly painted? Did the supplier compensate or were you left holding the bag?
I will give you a hint . . . .

Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #16

Well . . . . .

Another bump in the road with the project, as posted earlier had brought the Zender skirts (f$%#berglass) to replace the mis-matched ones Porsche had sent with the Aerokit.

Well they had worked on them and painted and worked and then called me this morning to ask me to come down for a chat, the body guy (who is a nice guy and good at what he does) refused to put them on unless I told him in person to do so after I saw what they would look like.

Thank God he has good taste and called first, those skirts really were "RICER" and even though they worked to try to get the line straight, they would have to be mounted with new holes drilled (do not match up) and "Perma-Gluded" whatever that meant, but he said with them being fiberglass and rock chips that they would look like "Rice-Crap" in a few months.

So now they are detailing (without skirts) and will call this afternoon to pick up.
photos to follow

Oh Yeah, I have some real nice skirts for sale if anyone is interested
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Oh Yeah, I have some real nice skirts for sale if anyone is interested
lol. No way you can send back one of the skirts to get replaced since they sent you the wrong one?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #18

Travis,

Since the Zender skirts didn't work out, are you gonna give the Aero skirts a try ?

Were you able to exchange them for two of the same ?

Just wondering...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #19

I am trying to see if I can get an exchange, but first answer was "Sorry, but you should have returned prior to painting"

So if anyone out there has a Aerokit I drivers side skirt . . . . .
Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
boggtown

Why dont you just get them blasted and reprimered? That way they are back to "normal" condition.