Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Passenger Headlight

Something odd keeps happening with my passenger headlight. The light somewhat slides out just enough to lose contact with the plug from the car causing it to have the light go out. I then get out of the car and push the headlight back a little bit and it stays for a couple of days but then slides right out again.. When i say slide out not much that the naked eye would be able to notice but enough to not let the connectors meet. I checked all the clips and doesn't seem like anything is broke. The driver's side is solid no problems anyone ever have this happen?

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #2

Never heard of that. When you lock it in place, does it seem pretty firm, or does it have a little play?

My first guess was that maybe the connectors on either the headlight or headlight retainer has been pushed back.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #3

Hi,

It's not properly clipped into place. You'll need a 5mm socket w/ extension or a 5mm Nutdriver. Pull the rubber plug from inside the trunk and insert tool. Rotate clockwise until you hear/feel a loud click. Be sure Headlamp is properly seated and pushed all the way in. See attached diagram to visualize this. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #4

The problem is that driver's side is put in the same way and does not move i will try it but i almost sure that it is something else cause i tried your method
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #5

I've read before that sometimes the plastic part which holds the electrical connector for the lamp breaks or gets damaged...... it's the bit inside the fender not on the lamp assembly.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
The problem is that driver's side is put in the same way and does not move i will try it but i almost sure that it is something else cause i tried your method
Hi,

It cannot be an electrical connector or such because this is not what holds the headlamp in place. The thing that locks it in place is an eccentric rod which the socket/nutdriver attaches to. This rod enages the Headlight and locks in place. The Headlight also slides into a mounting plate and if it's not in those slots, the eccentric rod cannot fully engage or lock. Take the headlight out completely (it'll just slide right out), then carefully line it up with the slots on the mounting plate inside the fender. Now push the Headlight so that it engages the electrical connector and while keeping it under tension, twist/lock the eccentric Rod with the wrench until you hear/feel a crack. This is the eccentric locking into place.

If this still doesn't work, remove the headlamp and with a flashlight check the mounting plate and electrical connector for damage or debris which would prevent the headlight from inserting far enough into each and the fender for the eccentic lock to engage. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

along these same lines....

My passenger headlight has a sunken look because it's a little lower than the driver's side light. How do you raise the mounting plate to counter this?

jsmithdmd is offline   Reply With Quote