Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #1

Exporting Boxster to NL...

Well, work has told me I am on the move from the US to Europe (Netherlands to be precise). While many issues to deal with (family, assets etc) my MOST important question is this (don't tell them..) - can I take my baby? She is a stock standard 2000 986, no mods (even has orange side indicators lights etc.).

Has anyone reading this forum ever exported from US to Europe? Anyone aware of any modifications required to meet Europe standards (I am assuming there is none for a 986...)? My friend has a horror story of having to change his Jeep Grand Cherokee lights out to include a side indicator to the tune of $2k - he didn't realize until he got over there....

I looked up 986 price in Netherlands and for that age of car, shipping costs, and current exchange rate, it makes total sense to take it with me.... would be keen to get anything done on it before it goes on the ship.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #2

Hi there.

I bought my Box late last year which is a US car (2002 base). Although I live in Slovenia I understand that all EU has same regulations.

The guy I got the car from imports 3 or 4 Porsches every year from USA no problems. He says he makes no changes to them at all unless they need some fixing for roadworthy certificates.

He sells them all through the EU. I will get his email for you and perhaps he can assist with the shipping or let you know how to prepare the car or who to deal with. He is a very nice generous guy who would be happy to help.

If the car is post 1997 all they do is a thorough roadworth check to make sure everything is working fine.

Pre 1997 cars have all sorts of tests to meet emision laws and I believe they are very strict on these.

So you should have no problems with your boxster.

About preparing your car for shipping I have no clue.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
boggtown

When we shipped our miata from Hawaii to Missouri you have to completely take everything out. Everything. You cant have an air freshener, pens, cd's, maps, paperclips, anything in it. Really sucks too, because you could use your car to help ship stuff over there.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #4

I know that emissions standards in the US are higher than that of Europe, that's why many Euro spec models make more hp than US models

(ex: 343bhp e46 M3 as opposed to US 333hp)

So for emissions it should be perfectly fine.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #5

You need to look carefully at the tax issues with importing to NL, as well as the standards which can be found on the internet. The last thing you want to do is get your car over there and then have to get it out before the 6 month visitor limit ran out. Doing it correctly also would allow you to sell it in the EU, in general I found it would be cheaper to just buy one there as I was thinking of taking mine to Germany as I spend half my time there.

Good luck
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
You need to look carefully at the tax issues with importing to NL, as well as the standards which can be found on the internet. The last thing you want to do is get your car over there and then have to get it out before the 6 month visitor limit ran out. Doing it correctly also would allow you to sell it in the EU, in general I found it would be cheaper to just buy one there as I was thinking of taking mine to Germany as I spend half my time there.

Good luck
Thom, can you please expound on this? I may be moving to Switzerland this year. New Boxster prices there are at least $20k more then in the US (especially considering the discounts from MSRP one can get here). If I calculate the hit I'll take on selling my new Box here, and buying a new (or close to new) one there, the difference becomes even larger. Are you saying that, even with these large differences, it may still be cheaper to sell here and buy there, vs importing one from here?

Kiwi, I am curious to learn what you conclude on this issue, so pls keep us posted, or PM me with an update if you prefer. I know Switzerland is not in the EU but there must be similarities in how these cases are treated.

Steve, can you ask your Porsche guy how he imports US cars into EU (taxes, procedure, etc.) or maybe PM me his email?

Thx.
Z.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #7

Switzerland has a lower VAT than the Netherlands, but the tax calculation on import/export for non-necessities is generally the same. Tariffs are the same for most European countries, EU or not, currently 10% on passenger vehicles.

CIF (which is the cost/invoice value, insurance and freight)
Duty (10% of CIF)
VAT (7.6% Swiss, 19% NL - usually calculated on CIF + Duty)

So assuming (using round numbers for ease):
57K invoice on the Boxster S
3k insurance + freight

CIF = $60,000
Duty = $6,000
VAT = $5,016
Cost to you = $14,016

Assuming a CIF of $35K, Kiwi's cost would be @ $10,815.

Plus, the cost of bringing your vehicle in-line with the code, as previously noted.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 01-25-2007 at 10:02 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #8

Hi,

Excerpted from: http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/shipping/chapter/index.html :

If you do decide to ship your own vehicle, you need to gather the necessary paperwork to satisfy US and foreign Customs. US Customs needs to determine that a vehicle shipped abroad is not a stolen vehicle. As such, you need to present Customs with two copies of a notarized title. You'll also need a Shipper Export Declaration form and a Declaration of Dangerous Goods form. Stationary stores sell these forms, but only in $15 pads of one hundred. You'll have to deliver your vehicle and the proper documents at least three days before the vehicle's scheduled departure. For details, citizens of the US should contact the US Customs Service Trade Operations, 1301 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20229, tel. 202 927 0300. While inquiring about such issues, ask how you can get an oval nationality sticker for your vehicle: "AUS" signifies it's registered in Australia; "CDN", Canada; "NZ", New Zealand; and, you guessed it, "USA", the United States.

But what about foreign Customs? Customs documents, issued in accordance with the terms of the UN Customs Conventions, are still required by a number of non-European countries in order to avoid the payment of the often substantial deposits demanded for the temporary importation of a vehicle (whether via a land-locked point of entry or a sea port). If you're a member of your national motoring club, the international organization it belongs to—either the AIT or the FIA will extend to you such a document, the "Carnet de Passages en Douane", that, in lieu of deposits, guarantees foreign governments that the organization will pay any Customs duties and taxes required if you don't re-export your vehicle. But before providing this document, your club will require you to place a deposit with them; the idea being that it's better to leave your deposit with someone you trust rather than in the hands of some capricious if not corrupt foreign government. But to repeat, European countries do not require such deposits or guarantees. Nevertheless, contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country you're shipping to and ask for copies of any mandatory forms and instructions for getting cargo through their Customs. While you're at it, ask how long it takes to clear their Customs and what steps you must take to export from their country.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #9

Thx SD and MN. Kiwi, sorry to hijack your thread, but thought it may be related.

Looks like importing a car to Switzerland is duty and tax free as long as you've already owned the car for 6 months and you don't sell the car within the first year of stay. Makes sense. The website has gobs of other related info.

http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/immigration/relocation/vehicles/importing.html

Vehicle owned for more than six months
If you've owned your vehicle for more than six months, it is considered to be part of your personal effects. You simply have to fill in a clearance request form for moving purposes and it will be exempt from import duty and VAT. You have the right to drive your car with foreign plates for a maximum of one year. The car is reserved for your personal use and cannot be loaned, rented or sold to a third party in Switzerland for a period of one year from the import date. If you do not comply with this condition (by selling your car, for example), customs will charge you retroactive import duty. The amount is determined on a sliding scale according to the age of your vehicle. Make sure that you are legally insured to drive in Switzerland during this period.

Z.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Thx SD and MN. Kiwi, sorry to hijack your thread, but thought it may be related.

Looks like importing a car to Switzerland is duty and tax free as long as you've already owned the car for 6 months and you don't sell the car within the first year of stay. Makes sense. The website has gobs of other related info.

http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/immigration/relocation/vehicles/importing.html

Vehicle owned for more than six months
If you've owned your vehicle for more than six months, it is considered to be part of your personal effects. You simply have to fill in a clearance request form for moving purposes and it will be exempt from import duty and VAT. You have the right to drive your car with foreign plates for a maximum of one year. The car is reserved for your personal use and cannot be loaned, rented or sold to a third party in Switzerland for a period of one year from the import date. If you do not comply with this condition (by selling your car, for example), customs will charge you retroactive import duty. The amount is determined on a sliding scale according to the age of your vehicle. Make sure that you are legally insured to drive in Switzerland during this period.

Z.
Hi,

Cool - moving to Switzerland (CH) eh? Where? I was raised in Lausanne, went to school in Montreux, until I was 16 when we moved back to the States. Wonderful country, but the people aren't the most friendly in W. Europe...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Cool - moving to Switzerland (CH) eh? Where? I was raised in Lausanne, went to school in Montreux, until I was 16 when we moved back to the States. Wonderful country, but the people aren't the most friendly in W. Europe...

Jim, Zurich. Sent you a PM.
Z.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #12

Thanks...

Thanks all to have contributed to this conversation.

I'm actually working along the same lines as Z. I have owned the car for 2 years, and don't intend to sell it when I get over there. Otherwise, as in Switzerland, you are exposed to Duty & VAT. I will be over there on a work permit vs. a visitor visa, so it will be considered to be part of personal effects that I import.

As SD indicates, this definitely is not worthwhile undertaking unless you can get exempt from duty and VAT. As an aside, when I saw the sticker prices over there, I thought maybe I could take another couple of cars over to make some $$.... the Duty and VAT kill the deal. Along with my wife....

So thanks to all - I'll keep you posted.

Sincerely Kiwi

PS - I wonder if I would have time to install Ohio's supercharger before I go.... (this is one of the best diy posts I have read in years!!)

PPS - actually, this does beg the next question - what should I get done before I go? Was going to get an early 45k service, maybe some new tires... as I figure these types of things will be more $$ over there.

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote