Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 AM   #1

Befuddled yet Bewitched

My dream car has always been a porsche. 911 to be exact but financial fortunes being as they are I have been contempulating the purchase of a boxster instead. I have researched the car extensively and I confess that I am somewhat concerned about reliability issues with the car. I do like the Honda S2000 as well and have driven many examples of each car. I cannot decide on either direction. Could perhaps the good people of this forum be kind enough to offer their profound words of wisdom, assurance etc. It would be most appreciated. By the way I have looked into extended warranties, PPI etc.

Cheers,

dale

richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #2

I can understand your situation. I bought my 2001 Boxster three weeks ago. I was concerned, and hesitant, due to reading a lot about engine failures, rear main seal leaks... and all kinds of problems.

However, I also realize that doing 'research' on internet forums such as this, will 'over-represent' issues with these cars. Sure, you'll find people here that actually DID have some of the more widely known problems... but you'll also find a TON more people parroting about the problems, making them seem much more prevalent than they really are.

Given I was recently in the same situation, I'd recommend buying a Boxster. Look around, there are tons for sale. Get the newest and best condition car you can find. Look into getting a warranty on it. Have the car inspected by a Porsche mechanic.

So you know, engine failures in Boxsters seem to be from engine casting quality, and generally affects 98-99 models. 2000+ went with a different engine, and don't seem to be prone to the same type of thing. Rear main seal leaks still happen, but for the most part, RMS leaks are just an annoyance.

Most of us will never encounter any problems during the course of our ownership of these fine cars. Good luck with your search! I bet you'll love the Boxster if you end up with one!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #3

I think they are reliable, but the downside is the costs are high if you do have a problem

I would recommend buying new with a full warranty or look for a Porsche certified used that has a limited warranty and maybe ask to have that extended.

You will love the car, but its worth the effort to make sure it is covered just in case.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if anything breaks, on any car, fix it and move on. sure some may be more to fix than others, some may cost more than others to start with, but hey at the end of the day you are either driving a honda or a porsche. even with RMS and all that, ill still take a box over s2k, although i did consider one as well when looking into convertibles (they look awesome w a hardtop and are cheap to mod, well anything is cheap to mod compared to porsche)
good luck

and make sure u post the pocs of porsche...we all know ure gonn get one
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

so far free from detractors on this thread....well here is the deal, there are some that will claim you can't get an honest/valid opinon here because we own boxsters, well I purchased my boxster when I had every intention of buying a G35 coupe....it was just that much better of a car and experience to me....so I say get the boxster and leave the s2k and its gym shoe looks at the dealer....

my car has been reliable and the problems I have had are pretty consistent with previous convertibles I've owned....get a warranty and don't lose sleep over the RMS concerns, it will only get in the way of your enjyoyment....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #6

Dale,

I just read your post about your interest in a
Boxster.

I have had one since April. At the time, I also had
a Carrera 4S in Polar Silver, natural gray supple
leather, GT3 wheels... In short, the most beautiful
car I have ever had.

And sold it after getting the Boxster because I
just flat enjoyed the Boxster that much.

So much so, that I have ordered a new one and
am looking for a home for this one. I notice you
are in Texas, as am I, but we both know that
doesn't narrow it down too much.

I am in the Houston area, NW up near Magnolia.

But if you like, give me a call and I will tell you what
I know about the Boxsters in general and if you are
interested in mine in particular, I will tell you about
that as well.

My phone is 713 829 8000

Oh, my car is a 2001, silver with full leather Boxster
red interior (which really looks good -- I wouldn't have
thought so until I saw it), "sport package", 17 inch
wheels (not the twisty kind) and, get this...

less than 16,000 miles on it.

Anyway, if you care to call anytime.

All the best,

- Mark

PS: These are great cars -- can you tell how much we all
like them?
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #7

so far since owning it for less than a year, I've spent about $1200 on mods, $1800 on fix/maintanance (thank God for extended warranty) and $700 on set of 4 tires.....Do I regret it? NOPE...like what DJ said, at the end of the day, I still drive a Porsche

The only thing i regret is, I should have waited and buy the newest S model that I could afford soon, very soon........
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston C4S
Oh, my car is a 2001, silver with full leather Boxster
red interior (which really looks good -- I wouldn't have
thought so until I saw it), "sport package", 17 inch
wheels (not the twisty kind) and, get this...

less than 16,000 miles on it.

Anyway, if you care to call anytime.

All the best,

- Mark

PS: These are great cars -- can you tell how much we all
like them?
I saw look into this...personally one of my favorite color combos the silver with red, check out the pics of perfectlap's car on this board.....awesome color combo....and I'm with kraker should have got the S, never driven one but do I have to? I already know I want more horses!
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #9

It's all about risk and pain control. Ask yourself what's going to hurt you more in the next few years:
1. Getting the Boxster and going through RMS and/or other shenanigans with it,
or
2. Getting the Honda and looking back wishing you got the Boxster?

Pick the option that would produce the least amount of pain. Get the Boxster.

Z.

Last edited by z12358; 01-17-2007 at 12:33 PM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #10

Dale, I have your same story. Dreamed of owning a Porsche since I was a kid. Since you didn't dream of owning a rice rocket, why are you asking the question?

For me, there was simply no substitute. I owned an MR2, Eclipse Turbo, etc. and while these cars are nimble, it was not my dream car.

That's why I did not "settle" for another japanese car when my heart wanted a Porsche.

Their marketing department wasn't wrong... Porsche. There is no substitute.

PS - I have driven Houston_C4S's boxster and it's a beautiful car. Do consider buying it from him!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #11

I like Randall own a '97. It's an everyday driver and I love the car. When purchased I didn't know a thing about Boxsters and have I learned a lot! (thanks Randall) To summarize; the car was a garage queen, only 9700 miles at purchase. I have spent the following: tires - $1000, Towing $386.00 (bad radiator cap) $0 repair cost at dealer, $79.00 oil change, $800.00 Blizzaks for Winter in Colorado. I have driven over 11,000 miles so far and its been a blast. Starts in below 0 weather, OK in snow, and gets me to the airport every Monday. I've owned Lexus, Toyota's, and a variety of domestics and I think Porsche's sometimes get a bad rap for reliability. I have been so pleased with this car I am now looking at a 2002 C4 from the same dealership I bought this Boxster from. I don't want to give up the Box but 4WD is something I could use out here in CO. Porsche - I'm hooked!! Good luck!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #12

Dale,

Welcome to our Porsche community!

I, too, looked at an S2K prior to purchasing my Boxster S. My main reasons for buying the Boxster:

1. I've owned a '99 Boxster before, and it was awesome.

2. I've worked for a Honda dealer and have seen S2000s come through. Although reliable, they lack something the Boxster S has in spades. See #3.

3. The Boxster's got low-end torque. The S2000 must be revved to the sky to get anywhere fast. Handling is almost a perfect match for the Boxster, but they can't beat us in slalom speed, braking distances, or powering out of low-speed corners.

Ultimately, you'll probably end up spending more on the Boxster for maintenance, but the Box' will get you more smiles per gallon.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #13

I share your same thoughts. I lookes into various years of the 911 and then determined...a touch more than I was comfortable in spending for a second car.

I had also convinced myself the 911 would be more problematic and costly to maintain.

I looked heavily for awhile at the Nissan 350z but ended up not quite a month ago here.

Two things..I visited a local shop (not dealership) alot to talk about Porsche and models and they were high on the Boxster. The owner basically said his experience was they were reliable and not that expensive (keeping in mind we're talking German, and Porsche) to maintain.

I was still concerned about the maintenance cost and the closer was a comment from a friend. The Porsche badge will always get you a sale if you make a mistake and the Boxster will hold it's value and carry more prestige over the years.

I liked the 350, but the first time I saw one after driving the Boxster I knew I made the right choice!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #14

Hi,

Since debate seems to be stifled on this Forum, at least for the time being, let me just say that the Boxster is a fairly good car. It has it's warts, and is not really a great car. Those saying otherwise probably come from a less experienced base. But, not wanting to start an argument, let's just concede and agree, that it's a good car.

Maintenance is more expensive and failure rates on some components can be higher than other sports car offerings. Repairs are waay more expensive than many other contemporary cars.

You will find it underpowered (according to the majority here - budget an 'S' or Supercharger at least (don't forget the gauges whatever you do), with imperfect handling (again judging by the Wheel/Tire/Springs and other suspension mod popularities).

But, if you want a Porche Badge crossing your driveway 1st, than it's a good choice. There are lots of Boxsters, of all years, available in the Used Car Market (hard to believe that such an otherwise perfect car would even be let go by their previous owners, but, what do they know?).

In short, you could do a lot worse. That's not to say you could also do better, but that's just a matter of choice...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-17-2007 at 08:18 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
You will find it underpowered (according to the majority here - budget an 'S' or Supercharger at least (don't forget the gauges whatever you do)) with imperfect handling (again judging by the Wheel/Tire/Springs and other suspension mod popularities).
Jim, I think you just broke the record for offending the most forum members in a single paragraph. Is this a gift from birth or did you hone it to perfection over time?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jim, I think you just broke the record for offending the most forum members in a single paragraph. Is this a gift from birth or did you hone it to perfection over time?
Hi,

Who asked you? What's makes you such an expert on what may or may not offend forum members - your endless posts simply to boost your total? Trying to stir the pot? I have been offended by several of your posts, just too polite to rub it in your face.

I'm just stating the obvious. Most of the posts here are how to increase power or handling, hardly the stuff of an already perfect car.

Don't cheer me. Read the majority of posts, including your own. If the Boxster is such a perfect car, why is everyone tripping over each other to change it? What is it I'm missing?

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-17-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #17

There's no need to curse at me, fellow forum member... the owners get all bent out of shape by it (glad you edited it out!). Sorry to ruffle your feathers... you just really seemed to have worked at the barbs in that paragraph to offend, not educate or enlighten.

To answer your question... Once the goal of ownership is achieved, there's not much to think about except making payments, insurance premiums, and fuel and maintenance costs. Modding the car to make it look better and faster or handle better always becomes the next logical thing to think about doing. Something like adding icing to a tasty cake. Could the icing make that cake look better or make it sweeter on the tongue?

Some mod out of boredom, others can't afford to buy a new S or a 997. For me it's just simple fun to see what I can do to the car to make it look and feel like it's unique and mine.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
There's no need to curse at me, fellow forum member... the owners get all bent out of shape by it (glad you edited it out!). Sorry to ruffle your feathers... you just really seemed to have worked at the barbs in that paragraph to offend, not educate or enlighten.

To answer your question... Once the goal of ownership is achieved, there's not much to think about except making payments, insurance premiums, and fuel and maintenance costs. Modding the car to make it look better and faster or handle better always becomes the next logical thing to think about doing. Something like adding icing to a tasty cake. Could the icing make that cake look better or make it sweeter on the tongue?

Some mod out of boredom, others can't afford to buy a new S or a 997. For me it's just simple fun to see what I can do to the car to make it look and feel like it's unique and mine.
Hi,

BS, you simply took the opportunity to bash my post. I'm not buying any of the other babble.

You can't have it both ways. If the Boxster is the 2nd Coming of F. Porsche, there s/b no need to modify it, except to send the Aftermarket owners' kids to college.

And since when did you have the authority, or the insite for that matter, to speak on behalf of the entire group at large? Cheap shot - that's how I take it. My expletive should have been PM'd to you privately, that's why I deleted it, not because you didn't deserve it... Don't bother replying, I'm through with this thread, I'm not gonna encourage this to escalate to an ego boosting platform.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-17-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #19

Jim, you're right. I'm sorry. I'll let the rest of the forum members speak for themselves if they took offense in what you wrote above. It sure hit me the wrong way though.

BTW, I don't think the Boxster is the perfect car and don't recall posting that I thought it was the way you are describing it now. I doubt I'd find any automobile to be without flaws or compromises in one area or another. It's just the brand I dreamed of owning since I was a kid... (not the model I dreamed of owning because it didn't exist way back when). But it's a fun ride for now and I am enjoying the additional performance upgrades and updated rims, etc. I am making.

Have a good evening. It's too late to keep posting and it's cold down here in Texas. Not like Minnesota cold, but plenty cold for South Texans!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #20

So just to get back to the original question, here is my view.

I don’t think Boxster reliability is worse than other P-Cars (okay I lurk in other forums!).

The Boxster is a blast to drive! I did try a 911 and I simply enjoyed the Boxster more.

I drove a S2000 (and an acquaintance of mine has one) again I simply preferred the Boxster.

The 350z is a good car but it is simply not a sports car compared to the Boxster and it did not do anything for me when I drove it.

So here is my advice, take a Boxster for a test drive on a clear sunny day (it does not need to be warm) over a variety of roads (including twisties). When you take the car out and let it warm up, drop the top, use the heated seats if equipped, don’t turn on the sound system, don’t let the revs get below 4K, try some fast corners, use those brakes & listen to the flat 6. Be prepared to write a check!

My view on mods: I have owned and modified a number of cars, not aggressive mods, some appearance, some performance and some handling. I do it because I enjoy driving my cars and modifying them. I don’t have many car friends (in person) so it is always fun to explain my mods to someone who likes cars (most people) and does not mod (again most people) and let them drive the car explain what a mod does and let them and feel the difference (my current Benz is a reasonable example of that). I don’t mod because the original car was bad, I mod because I have different specific tastes (for example most suspension mods I have done have improved handling but always compromise ride quality a little, a compromise I prefer) and I like to make my cars my own and I am quite proud of the mods. I have managed to sell cars with mods and get at least some money back (mods have low resale value) and I think this is because I have been enthusiastic about my cars and that rubs off onto the folks I have sold my cars to. Having said all that I have not done anything to my Boxster yet and there is a simple reason for that, the car is simply great out of the box and it’s limits are far ahead of my driving skills! I plan on improving my driving skills this summer so who knows what is next, I just know it will be fun.

2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote