Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #1

anyone else think their car needs lowered?

I was looking at my car a lot today and it just looks like it could use 1/2" - 1" of lowering. I think it would really add to the overall appearance.

There is a big gap now between the tires and the fenders.

Even when sitting in the car it doesn't feel nearly as low as other cars in its class.

Has anyone noticed this or read about lowering their 987s?

I can't comment on 986s because I haven't seen enough of them to tell if they need lowered.

Post thoughts

Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #2

I saw a lowered 987 after a recent Mavs game I was at. It was astonishing! I cannot believe how cool it looked. Until then, I was never really a fan of lowering, but it made me want to lower my car. It was so smooth and subtle. I really wish I had a picture of that.

Post a clear side view shot of your car and I'll lower it for you in Photoshop so you can see what it'd look like.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

I have a 97, I want mine done soon.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
id like to do mine, but since its daily and gets driven in winter...it already scrapes everywhere

in general, most cars look better lowered
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 01-15-2007 at 08:49 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
boggtown

Damn son, you gotta get yo'self dems air ride suspension. You can be driving with one wheel in the air and bounce around and thatd be da illest stuff ever. You could let it be high for curbs N stuff, and drag it fo da ladies.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
air rie suspension is great actually
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #7

Thanks. I'll post a side pic tomorrow when I get to school w/ my camera.

I DO NOT want to compromise performance. That wouldn't be worth it to me

Does lowering compromise performance or does it depend? What does it depend on?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I think it always improves it... unless you live in an area of poor road construction quality, then it might be a nightmare driving around town.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Thanks. I'll post a side pic tomorrow when I get to school w/ my camera.

I DO NOT want to compromise performance. That wouldn't be worth it to me

Does lowering compromise performance or does it depend? What does it depend on?

On smooth pavement you will noticed enhanced performance. On ****************ty, potholed riddled NYC roads, you will notice enhanced Kidney pains

The lower the car, the less suspension travel (typically) to absorb impacts. Also, since the travel is often shorter, the compromise is to run stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out. Thus, a stiffer ride.

On the plus side you will notice even sharper handling and roadholding due to a lowering of the vehicles center of gravity.

Everything has a trade off. What do you want to live with?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
On smooth pavement you will noticed enhanced performance. On ****************ty, potholed riddled NYC roads, you will notice enhanced Kidney pains

The lower the car, the less suspension travel (typically) to absorb impacts. Also, since the travel is often shorter, the compromise is to run stiffer springs to prevent bottoming out. Thus, a stiffer ride.

On the plus side you will notice even sharper handling and roadholding due to a lowering of the vehicles center of gravity.

Everything has a trade off. What do you want to live with?

I can live with bumpiness in the name of tighter handling!!!

Now this is an area I've done ZERO research on and never touched. I will get to reading some about it before I choose a product.

Are there lowering kits that help you lower the oem suspension or do you have to replace parts?

I bet my car will look 5x better. I'll get pics asap guys!

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Hopefully handle better too
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #11

New springs aren't expensive, but the labor is gonna kill you. I was quoted $800 if I supplied the springs at $350... Ouch!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #12

You will need to replace parts.

I am not too familiar with PASM, but if your car has PASM, it may impact the type of replacements you can choose from.

Ideally, remember that Springs AND shocks work as a system. While you can certainly go with just "lowering" springs, I would encourage you to do it "right" and get matched shocks. Why tear the car apart twice, afterall.

Eibach and H&R are popular brands/products.

Bilstein makes a well regarded PSS9 kit that replaces shocks and springs with stiffer, lower and adjustable components. JIC and Cross are some other brands to look into.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
I was looking at my car a lot today and it just looks like it could use 1/2" - 1" of lowering. I think it would really add to the overall appearance.

There is a big gap now between the tires and the fenders.

Even when sitting in the car it doesn't feel nearly as low as other cars in its class
Post thoughts
________________________________-

Do you have 18" wheels on yours? We'll need to see a picture first.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #14

Yup I have 18" 'S' wheels.

What's a ballpark figure for the shocks and springs? I can install it myself (w/ my friend)

This is something I really want to do.

Only thing I'm thinking about is speed bumps...but I don't think 1/2" will change that much.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #15

Quote:
What's a ballpark figure for the shocks and springs? I can install it myself (w/ my friend)

This is something I really want to do.

Only thing I'm thinking about is speed bumps...but I don't think 1/2" will change that much.
Springs: $250-300-ish
Shocks: ?

My quote to lower was $660 + parts + alignment (RUF Auto Centre). That's another thing, you'll require an alignment when you're done. From my understanding, the rear springs are difficult to do yourself. There's a lot of disassembing to do back there.

I read about lowering Boxsters somewhere that said, when looking for a place to lower it, look for a place that has experience with your specific car. Even places that tune suspension (race shops) may not know the tricks involved for, say, a Boxster specifically.

I don't doubt the ability of you and your friend, It's just my understanding that it's a process more elaborate than a simple spring swap. I'd hate to see anything bad happen to such a nice looking 987.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #16

The fronts are pretty straight forward. The rears, in the pics I've only "scanned" in the Bentley manual, indicate that entire rear hubs and axles and other components need to be disassembled before you can get the shock/springs out of the car. Labor is the killer. I'd imagine a shop would charge 8hrs of labor to do the whole job. Then you will need an alignment (figure $150-250).

Springs - $250-400?
Shocks - Lots$$ (Shocks could be, just a guess, $100-200 each)
Alignment - $150-250
Time spent - figure a whole day or weekend if trying it yourself for the first time (or say 8hr shop time X about $80-100/hr)

Please don't take these numbers as gospel. Just a regurgitation of what I've read elsewhere, plus the personal experience of redoing the entire suspension on my 911 a few years ago.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
The fronts are pretty straight forward. The rears, in the pics I've only "scanned" in the Bentley manual, indicate that entire rear hubs and axles and other components need to be disassembled before you can get the shock/springs out of the car. Labor is the killer. I'd imagine a shop would charge 8hrs of labor to do the whole job. Then you will need an alignment (figure $150-250).

Springs - $250-400?
Shocks - Lots$$ (Shocks could be, just a guess, $100-200 each)
Alignment - $150-250
Time spent - figure a whole day or weekend if trying it yourself for the first time (or say 8hr shop time X about $80-100/hr)

Please don't take these numbers as gospel. Just a regurgitation of what I've read elsewhere, plus the personal experience of redoing the entire suspension on my 911 a few years ago.
Hi,

I agree with your estimates. One might be able to lower them slightly by prudent shopping or having say a lift, but in general, your's are good numbers...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #18

if you are going to do a suspension mod...do a suspension mod.

if you have the means go with a full kit, new shocks and springs. On an expensive car like this I wouldn't consider anything other than coilovers which allow you to adjust the ride height. If you pass up on the coilover kit you are stuck at the ride height which you may not like at all.

I had a very experienced mechanic I once used refuse to install a set of eibach springs on a previous sports car on principle. He said there is no point in having to do all this labor, re-align the car and then face the possibility that the ride may be all wrong. You need to do some proper driving in a similar car with the exact set up you are considering before you pull the trigger.

Also, lowering a car that is often driven on public roads, particular one on 18" wheels and higher, is going to take a toll on your car. All the joints and connections through out the car will slowly start to loosen. The car will start to rattle and before you know it things are starting to break. If your car is a Sunday driver with few miles clocked in a year its probably safe. But if you drive that thing allot know what you are doing. Lowering a car is not a cosmetic adjustment, its a performance mod. Needs to be tested on the road before you make a change that you will be stuck with or have to pay allot of labor to undo.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #19

Not lowering a car is like not putting braces on your kids teeth when they have big gaps.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Go with coilovers. Yes just adding springs will give you the better look and a slight increase in performance, but adding coilovers will be a night and day difference in ride quality and handling.

I spend just under $4k out the door for Cross coilovers, installation, alignment, corner balance, and tax. Well worth it in my opinion.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #20

That sounds a bit high. How much did you pay for the CC's?
You can get a set of Bilstein PSS9's installed for under $3K with alignment--
and if you're lucky they'll let you sit in it during the alignment.

I'm definitely going this route when it comes time to swap out the shocks and springs.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote