Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #41

I am sure it's gonna be a blast!! Take pictures please!!

Unfortunately, I can't make it.....It' s my dad's birthday and I have family coming from San Diego! Would have loved to have taken the trip from NY since I haven't taken my car out for a long trip yet! It would have been excellent timing since I know a few folks in the area of Memphis that I could go and visit afterwards.

Anyway, enjoy!!

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #42

Send a message via Yahoo to ageranger
well got the bad news today. wont be able to make the trip being as i will now be in the desert instead. yeah so much fun. no driving for me for the next 6 months. i allways seem to miss out on the summer driving. well anyways hope yo uall have a good time out htere and maybe i will be around for next year if we do it again.
ageranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #43

Porsches on the Dragon

For those of you that cannot make our May trip, the Palmetto Region ( SC ) PCA will be hosting a trip to the Tail of the Dragon April 20th – 22nd :

http://www.pcapalmetto.org/newsitems/dragontailapril07.html

( from March 2007 Panorama )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 AM   #44

3 weeks from Friday !

Can’t wait to get out of Illinois…

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #45

I sent out an email to everyone who sent me their info as requested.

If you are planning to be with our little group of 15 so far and you have not emailed me your details, please do so today.

A bunch of forum members have indicated their plans to come, but have not let me know.

If you can't remember if you sent me your details or not, then just look in your email box for a private email from me with some details about Saturday the 5th. I do not believe I left anyone out accidentally, but if I did, send me an email at randall (at) touchusa dot org and I'll add you to the list and send you what I have thus far.

The trip is coming up sooner than you think, so if your car has not been checked out for a long trip, this weekend's the time to do it! I'm having my windshield and serpentine belt replaced and my brake fluid replaced. What do you need to do?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #46

Ran the Dragon Today

I ran the Dragon today with the Palmetto Region of PCA. It was pretty incredible. We actually ran the entire loop of the Dragon going out and the Cherohalla Skyway returning.

We started out at Deal'sGap and ran the Dragon's Tail. It was 20 min of the most intense driving. I live in a mountainous area and drive curvy roads often, but I was still very surprised. I've also done autocross and some DE's, but it doesn't compare. Changes in elevation, camber, and radius of the curves makes them more challenging than any parking lot or road courses. Not all, but many of the curves are blind, which is not typical on road courses, and the curves are one after another, really close together. That also make it more intense, plus, the stakes are higher because if you lose it, you're not taking out cones. Also, there are no shoulders on the Dragon's Tail and it's full of bikes, scooters and Toyota Camrys and Ford Tauruses trying to take you out.

After the 20 minutes or so, you come off the mountain and it's 30-45 minutes of 'normal mountain road'. During this period you go through a couple of small towns and restaurants. Eat up and gas up here if you need it. We went back on the Cherohalla, which is fairly long. The Cherohalla is more enjoyable. There are some great sweeping curves in which you carry tons speed, and there are really tights turns which slow you down in a hurry. The views are also better and you can see farther ahead.

That sums it up, but doesn't give the trip justice. We drove from 9:30 to 4:00, with a 20 minute detour because we missed a turn. It was a ton of fun and the group was a great group to drive with.

Some Thoughts:

1) I didn't see many cops while burning up the mountain roads, but getting there and back I saw a few.

2) It's good to leave early, but not too early. The mountains and overhanging trees do a good job of blocking out the light during-mid day, so early morning or late night might be tough.

3)If you are uncomfortable driving fast, then don't. The roads make for some great driving, but are unforgiving.

It was a ton of fun. I can't wait wait to go again.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #47

The following forum members have emailed me with their info and preferences thus far:

dmcutter
JWILSON95
Sammy
NickCats
MANTIS
derb
bmussatti

With guests, it looks like we will be a total of 15 to date.

If you do not see your screen name above, I am assuming that you are not able to go. You will be missed, we assure you!

However, it's not too late to email me with the information requested above and get on the list. We'd love to have any forum member who can be there.

We now have some Saturday morning driving plans under consideration, various options for dinner together Saturday night, and DOOR PRIZES to give away after dinner Saturday night (compliments to bmussatti who contacted sponsors for very cool stuff to give away).

I can't wait to meet you all and see your cars and meet your friends, spouses or significant others... like you all, I do dread the two hard days driving that will be required, but I have my ipod all loaded up and the V1 ready, plus a 2 way radio for me and my buddy who is driving his car, so it won't be too boring.

See you guys in a couple of weeks at the base of the Dragon!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #48

mtch,

Great write up ! I agree with your observations 100% ( I did the tail 2 years ago on the bike ! )

Can’t believe we leave a week from tomorrow

Looking forward to seeing ya’ll down there…

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #49

Well, my wife fell down the stairs, broke her ankle in two places and ripped her ligaments to shreds this Sunday .....but we're still coming!! What a trooper!
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #50

I hope she has some pain pills for the runs up and down the dragon... she might feel a bit uncomfortable getting thrown right and left for hours at a time with a bum ankle!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #51

I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight. Too excited about the trip! My buddy Tom and I head out tomorrow at 9:30 am, bound for Jackson, Mississippi where I must work for my meal and bed. I am speaking at a church and staying with a pastor. I just couldn't beat the price... free!

Remember, feel free to call me tomorrow on my cell phone if you get bored on the road. I will probably be bored too!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #52

How was it? I understand it rained all day.

I had planned on going, but things got in the way...

Jim
(MY00S; 51k)

MemphisJim is offline   Reply With Quote