986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dragon Trip Details (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8981-dragon-trip-details.html)

RandallNeighbour 01-11-2007 05:21 AM

Dragon Trip Details

Here's the details!

We will meet on Saturday, May 5th at 7 am at a gas station near the crossroads of 28 and 129. On the Dragon map, it's called "crossroads of time".

Why so early? To avoid the traffic that gets very heavy on weekends.

Please arrive with a full tank of fuel... this little station is not a Chevron. Fill up here at your own risk.

The two wheel inn in Robbinsville -south of the map- (www.twowheelinn.com) did have rooms left for rental, and you can contact them to secure a bed. DON'T WAIT TO FIND A ROOM IN THE AREA. There are two bike rallies there the same weekend, plus the normal load of travellers.

If you can get a room there and will be alone, you may want to post a "roommate wanted" post here and split the cost of the room with someone.

Click here to see the map of our meeting place

If you plan to go, please tell us you'll be there so we can look for you!

Sammy 01-11-2007 05:43 AM

I'm pretty sure you mean May 5th... :)

Sweet! Sounds like Chills, bmusatti, NickCats, djomlas, jeffsquire and myself are headed down from the midwest. Hopefully we'll get some more seeing that we've only started to firm things up in the last day. :D

RandallNeighbour 01-11-2007 06:28 AM

Thank you Sammy... I just needed one more cup of coffee to get that right!

FrayAdjacent 01-11-2007 08:16 AM

I'll put it on my calendar, and do the rest of my road trip to DC from there after that weekend. Probably will need a roomate, as I'll be solo. The chicky-snack hates car trips...

Chills 01-11-2007 08:42 AM

I'll be solo as well. I'll room with you, Fray. We can split the cost of the room, too.

jpog 01-12-2007 07:07 PM

I go there frequently anyway (easy drive from HSV). Count me in and possibly +1.

JPOG

Mantis 01-15-2007 09:33 AM

I will be there with the wife, already have a room booked, looking forward to seeing y'all there. For anyone else coming up from Atlanta, we will be making the trip up on Friday (sometime)...

mtch 01-26-2007 08:25 PM

Sounds like fun. Count me in

bmussatti 01-30-2007 12:39 PM

Hey Guys:

Just an FYI. The Kentucky Derby must be May 5th because I can't get into a "nicer" hotel in the Louisville or Lexington area for Thursday night, May 3rd. I want to get at least 1/2 way to enjoy more daylight/sunlight top-down driving and make the trip a little easier and more enjoyable for the Wife.

Standard type hotels are requesting a paid-in-full rate with no cancellation 60 days prior.

Maybe I'll need to stop in Cincinnati that night.

Regardless, I expect a lot of cars on the road that weekend. So, people coming from my area, might want to re-think their travel plans, and plan accordingly for travel time & accommodations.

Can't wait! :)

FrayAdjacent 01-30-2007 02:31 PM

It does seem like there's a lot going on that weekend.. I wonder if the road will be packed!

John Y 01-30-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
It does seem like there's a lot going on that weekend.. I wonder if the road will be packed!

It will be, especially at that time of year; weekday mornings are a great time to visit the Dragon...

Sammy 01-31-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey Guys:

Just an FYI. The Kentucky Derby must be May 5th because I can't get into a "nicer" hotel in the Louisville or Lexington area for Thursday night, May 3rd. I want to get at least 1/2 way to enjoy more daylight/sunlight top-down driving and make the trip a little easier and more enjoyable for the Wife.

Standard type hotels are requesting a paid-in-full rate with no cancellation 60 days prior.

Maybe I'll need to stop in Cincinnati that night.

Regardless, I expect a lot of cars on the road that weekend. So, people coming from my area, might want to re-think their travel plans, and plan accordingly for travel time & accommodations.

Can't wait! :)

When it comes closer to the actual date I think I'll have a better idea of whether or not I can leave Thursday night. I'm thinking Cinci might be the best bet as it would allow us a definitive point to meet up with jeffsquire coming from Michigan.

This trip to me is as much about the journey as it is the destination. :cheers:

UroTrash 02-07-2007 07:02 PM

Can't vouch for the validity of this, but it was recently posted on FerrariChat:

"EVERYONE WHO GOES TO DEALS GAP------PLEASE READ THIS-----I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU ALL OUT"

posted by a State Trooper:

"Hey, just to give you a heads up for next season----we have a new captain in the Knoxville district which covers Blount county------he has already told us that we will put a stop to the "race track driving" up on the dragon this year------so far what they have said is that the speed limit is 30mph and "ANYONE" caught going 50mph and up will be charged with reckless driving and will be jailed and their bike/car will be impounded-----I am telling you this because i am trying to put the word out to everyone i know----or to people who know people that go up there-----I don't want to have to take people to jail for this---however I have bills to pay and I kind of like having a job---so never the less I have to do what i am told to do-----so the way i see it is that if killboy.com knows and you know and dealsgap.com knows and whoever else can find out can pass this along---it will benefit everybody--------feel free to copy and past this and let everyone know-------if you get caugh t up there it is only your fault because i am trying to pass the word along for everybody's sake-----we are not just going to come up from the bottom like in years past---they are gonna have us go through cherohala skwy in north carolina and come from the top down to the bottom----so no more free rides on your way back to the state line----they are gonna bring unmarked cars with radio's and have unmarked bikes up there----this will be a joint effort with blount county and the THP-----The entire THP motor unit will be brought in 2 people at a time(for a week long assignment) to be paired up with the local car----they plan on busting tail at least 3-4 times right off the bat---then they will sit back and see what takes place-----these orders came from Nashville Headquarters---we have a complete brand new higher ranking structure from the very tip top spot down----they have said we will work until the problem is solved----just wanted to give you and your friends a heads up..... .....SIGNED..........Trp Cagle with THP assigned to Blount County Division----(don't come crying to me if you get busted----cause I'm telling you now)"

RandallNeighbour 02-07-2007 07:11 PM

Oh joy. :cool:

My buddy has radios and I will have my V1 on for sure. Let's all remember that the cops would really like to bust the bikers doing 120 mph around the corners and killing themselves more than cars (certainly my opinion, but thought I'd throw it out there).

djomlas 02-07-2007 08:07 PM

damn thats messed up that they will bust up the party like that, but i do see where they are coming from.

anyone thinks this will make news?

BobMarley1 02-08-2007 06:04 AM

how far are you all driving to get there?

From DC, 9+ hours.

RandallNeighbour 02-08-2007 06:14 AM

I did some reading last night at dealsgap.com and the locals say that the local law enforcement is comprised of respected officers who seem to understand that the towns around the Dragon are doing well financially because of the tourism the dragon creates.

A biker commented that he has lots of fun doing 50 mph on the dragon and not to worry about it.

I still think we'll have a lot of fun!

bmussatti 02-08-2007 06:46 AM

I think we will have a great time too. I was not planning on doing 120...or 1/2 that speed.

Meeting some of the Forum members, breaking bread, and having a few fermented beverages will be the most vaulable take-a-ways from this mini vacation!

And Sammy put it best with his comment about the journey being as important and enjoyable as the final destination.

RandallNeighbour 02-08-2007 07:21 AM

Fermented beverages! Man that has a great ring to it! :cheers:

dmcutter 02-08-2007 09:54 AM

I like distilled better, but I reckon it's BYOBB-bring your own Boxster and beverage.