Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Your Cleaning Regiment

Before my Boxster, car care to me was taking a drive to the local detail shop - give 'em a few bucks, and pick her up later. Now that I own my Porsche, it's different.

I've learned a ton from reading multiple threads regarding the various products you all use to keep your rides shinny and new, but in lieu of current threads regarding car care, I wanted to ask you all what your cleaning/up-keep schedule looks like.

Wash and wax, wheels, radiators, plastic window, top, interior, etc.... How often do you do them, are there products you use for cleaning versus maint (i.e. plastic window - plexus versus novus system).

Basically, any info that would help new Boxster owners with a basic understanding of when and what to do regarding car care would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #2

my car is parked outside all the time so I clean it often. Luckily its silver so it always looks clean. I listed my regiment by the frequency of each type of detailing function. I never spend more than 15 minutes for anything other than when I have to get out the electric polisher. I think if you do the job fast you'll be more encouraged to do it often.

washing
My regiment is simple and fast.
I wash with Optimum No Rinse one ounce in a bucket of warm water. I use 4 or five towels constant flipping) and one foam sponge(for dirty areas like under nearth, wheels wells,etc.). I use a Meguiar's Wheel Face brush to clean the wheels with the remaining water in the bucket.
While the car is still wet I spray a plain over the counter spray wax to lubricate the drying. I dry with a waffle weave towel. After washing I use a quick spray FK 425 which inhibits dust and water spots after rainfall. Creates a teflon seal of sorts.
I spray Michelin Tire dressing (matte finish) on the wheels.
Inside I use the FK 425 on the dash glass and black plastic. And 1Z leather cleaner every other month. I wash the carpets in a sink using wool lite and a Meguiar's carpet brush.

top care
I rinse the top at least three times a month and clean it once a month with Raggtopp canvas cleaner and an oxo feahter tip brush. Renovo on the window every other week and plexus once a week.

Waxing
Once a month I use an acyrlic paste wax FK 1000P and in between washes I use an anti-static spray FK 146 with a little more cleaning bite than 425. For a darker color I would be using Duragloss Aqua Wax chased with 425 to restore the anti static barrier. But before doing any type of waxing or polishing of paint you should ABSOLUTELY clay bar the paint imediately after washing. Then wash again or at least rinse the paint after claying to clear off the paint of remnants.

Polishing/sealing
a couple of times a season I break out the polish and sealant, for me its Werkstatt Prime Strong and Carnauba Jett. But from my many years of experimenting I can tell you that all the high end brands do an equally good job: Klasse, Poorboys, Zaino, Menzerma, Clear Kote, 1Z, FK1.

The best advice is using the best towels you can buy. I only use silk bind towels from poorboysworld.com or detailcity.com I get them by the dozen.
Never touch paint that is dry, always spray something, anything. This applies in cleaning and in laying down any form of paste or liquid wax. Once it hazes spray some more to lubricate the removal of the wax.
For drying I use an absorber towel (pepboys) on the top and glass and waffleweave towels(also from poorboys) on the paint. Cheap towels will ruin your paint. I'd rather use a cheap polish or wax and expensive towel than the other way around. And antistatic sprays like 146 and 425 have made the biggest dent in keeping the car clean. If they didn't sell direct I'd sell the FK stuff door to door.
Buy a microfiber detergent for your towels as well.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Thats what I like about you perfectlap...you have a plan...a routine....and a bloody shiney car!!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #4

Perfectlap, where do I buy the FK 425?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Collinite waxing weekly (sometimes even more than that). #845 for most waxings, and #915 once a month or so.

Raggtopp cleaner once every two weeks. Raggtopp protectant once or twice a year.

Bick 4 leather conditioner on the seats.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Perfectlap, where do I buy the FK 425?
Randall, click on his link in the signature.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #7

FK1 only sell direct from their website or 1-800. Actually they sell mostly to professional detailers who buy in bulk. I buy in bulk to save a few sheckels.
on their website go to the profesional section instead of the consumer.
They only charge $5 no matter how heavy your order is, so I usually order a gallon of 425 an 146. If you call in the order ask for the samples of their other products, although they started charging $5 for each recently and they also raised the price of 425 by a few bucks. The 1000P high temp wax would be a good choice for a sample because they only sell one size, this enourmous 1 pound can. The antistatic interior and anti static polishes like 217 are very popular but I haven't tried either...maybe I'll ask for the samples on the next order.

Oh and if you are using 425 for the first time over your preffered wax, buff the surface well before using, making sure the wax you are using has been evenly distributed. 425 tends to magnify your finish or flawes so if you have some lumps or uneven patches it might come through. And I wouldn't use 425 as a stand alone wax, it's shiny but more of a extender/repellent.

Finishkareusa.com

p.s.
Chemicalguys.com is another good site for detailer who buy in bulk. Very good products for very low prices. I haven't tried their anti-statics yet.

p.s.s.
The guy who started Fk1 used to work for Meguiar's. He hold the anti-static patent with the PTO office.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-08-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #8

I've had mine for a month.. Are you supposed to wash 'em? Maybe this spring
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #9

I guess the 'Porsche thing' wears off by the time you've made it to Porsche #3.
Although I'd probably never wash a 911 either, I think they used to be badged as the VW's or was that the 914?

p.s.

here's a good website with allot of good tips
http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com/

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-08-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Although I'd probably never wash a 911 either, I think they used to be badged as the VW's or was that the 914?

p.s.

Don't get me too wrong.. I appreciate a clean car. I just hate doing it myself and I am too cheap to pay someone else to do it
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #11

What do you fellas use to clean the steering wheel? Rest of the interiors?

Thanks again - C
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i actually enjoy cleaning/washing my car. the end result is just amazing, i guess i like to see results rightaway
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #13

I haven't started my regimen for the Boxster yet, since I've had her a month, and the weather has been pretty crappy.

When I get a nice, sunny, warm weekend, I plan on

Wash (Mr.Clean AutoDry... I love that thing, it really WORKS)
Clay bar
Clean top with Raggtopp and treat with protectant (need to order the stuff and a brush)
Wash again
Clean the wheels
Wax - 2 coats with NXT spray on, since I have about a full bottle

Normally, I'd just wash with plain water to remove dirt and large stuff, then wash with soap and a different sponge, let it air dry, then do a coat of spray on wax. I'd like to do this about once a month, but I live in an apartment, and there's no facility here to wash and wax cars. In fact, they specifically forbid it... So I have to go down to my 'rents house, or to a friend's house.

And the Boxster is a daily driver for me... it's got some scratches and a couple very small chips. Comes with the territory, I guess. I want it to look good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going for showroom floor good, just clean good.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #14

Your Cleaning Regiment?

I have the guys from the local National Guard Armory come over once a week to wash my car.

It's regimen guys.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

p.s.

That is Charles' site. I got to know him on SUV World when I was doing the SUV modding. He has amazing skills, he regime is the one I have used for three years. I vary the products: Poorboys, Four Star, Clearkote.

Towels are very important. I have three types, waffle weave to dry, a microfiber for regular qick details, nicer ones for polish removal, sealant and wax.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorman
I have the guys from the local National Guard Armory come over once a week to wash my car.

It's regimen guys.
So I suppose they have easy access to Armory All, then?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
I got to know him on SUV World when I was doing the SUV modding.
SC986,

What type of SUV(s) did you have? What type of mods?

Thanks,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote