Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Question How do I remove a windshield stain?

I bought my 03 S used and didn't notice anything until one day when the windshield fogged up.

There appears to be a very large stain "baked" into the glass where it looks like someone left something on the windshield without bothering to clean it. I don't know if it was a drink or egg or what but nothing I do has any effect on it.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions short of replacing the windshield?

Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #2

Hi,

What have you tried? There are several glass polishes on the market designed to clean with mild abrasive action, insufficient to mar the glass. Or you can use the tried & true method of cleaning the windscreen with Bon Ami Cleanser.

Unlike Ajax or Comet which use a pumice mix (which will mar the glass), Bon Ami uses Calcium Carbonate as the grit. This is softer than the glass and so won't scratch it. A solvent such as denatured alcohol or Prepsol may also give positive results, maybe even a combination of both.

But, you will have to do some considerable rubbing in any case, don't expect some miracle product to instantly lift it without some effort on your part, and be sure to use clean cotton rags to avoid them scratching the glass as well. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
bmussatti

Try to find something like this:

http://www.janvil.com/?gclid=CNbR7Zul0YkCFQg3Iwod2ht14A
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi,

That's not a bad system, I'm familiar with it, just overkill for what the Lister describes. Best to start with the low-tech, low-cost, approach. If that fails, step up to something like this...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #5

Another product that you can try, found in the grocery store, is called "barkeeper's friend".

It polishes the glass and won't scratch it. Bartenders use it to remove hard water stains from wine glasses, etc. My buddy used it on very old window glass in his 100 year old home and it made it nearly invisible.

Give it a try. It's under three bucks.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #6

Awesome, thanks for all the great suggestions. I tried the basic cleaning stuff and I had heard some people say if it gets cooked into the glass like that it pretty much has to be replaced. I'll definitely stop on the way home and try some of this stuff.

It's great to have a forum where the users are so helpful. Very much appreciated

Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote