986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Please help me decide (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8894-please-help-me-decide.html)

racer_d 01-04-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
i sold it for 26k

Wow.. 26? Guess what PT Barnum said was true. BUT. That was 1 year ago. Now you have a 8 year old car. And its still winter (not as good a season as Spring for local VA buyers getting the spring itch for a convertible.) Maybe you can find another "educated" buyer ;)

Apples to Oranges here, but I bought my MY2000 Boxster with 40K miles for $16,5 - Private party.

By the way, have you test driven either of the Benz's in question? I would have to think that even if their performance numbers are similar, they behave quite differently.

blkboxster 01-04-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
In your earlier thread entitled "im not happy" the estimated repair bill was $5000.00 (which seemed high for the work cited but who knows with dealers?) What else happened?

im not happy

$26K? Is that the trade-in value quoted or did you get that price in a private sale? If that's the price you got in a private sale, I'm going to let you sell my Boxster if I ever decide to get rid of it ;)

lol your right,i dont know why but 10k came in mind,your right it was 5k

blkboxster 01-04-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
Wow.. 26? Guess what PT Barnum said was true. BUT. That was 1 year ago. Now you have a 8 year old car. And its still winter (not as good a season as Spring for local VA buyers getting the spring itch for a convertible.) Maybe you can find another "educated" buyer ;)

Apples to Oranges here, but I bought my MY2000 Boxster with 40K miles for $16,5 - Private party.

By the way, have you test driven either of the Benz's in question? I would have to think that even if their performance numbers are similar, they behave quite differently.

i have driven a 03 s55 amg and WOW it was loud and really REALLY fast. after my test drive when i got back into my boxster it felt like **************** :mad: thats how fast it was! i havent drove the 600 yet.

jpog 01-04-2007 07:38 PM

I've owned a S500 designo and a C55 AMG, and looked at both the S55 and 600 during that time. The cars are far more different than you might think. The AMG is a tighter handling car, with visual and suspension bits that make it more athletic. Power is good. The 600 is more of a cruiser in look, suspension, etc. Much like my S500 designo. The power is different, too. I describe the power as feeling like you pushed a piano off of a skyscraper. A strong, steady push. Very much in line with the 600's cruiser status.

So, pick sport or cruise. After that, you really can't lose. Just make sure you get a couple of options that will raise the satisfaction level. Look for the designo package. Upgraded leather, suede headliner, extensive wood trim, wool carpets and mats, etc. Everything, and I mean everything is covered in leather. Dash, key surround, console, etc. Also, get the rear seat package. Rears recline out and are heated. Your passengers will thank you. Finally, rear climate control.

I bought mine off lease. Originally a bit over $100K in 2000. I bought for $46K in 2003. :woot:

Good luck.

SD987 01-04-2007 10:33 PM

Have you familiarized yourself with the cost of maintenance/repair on an S-Class, particularly if you're out of warranty anytime soon? Don't forget to call your insurance company before hand, less you get a rude surprise, especially at your age. There's also alot of nice late model SL500s at or just north of your price range as well.

jpog 01-05-2007 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
Have you familiarized yourself with the cost of maintenance/repair on an S-Class, particularly if you're out of warranty anytime soon? Don't forget to call your insurance company before hand, less you get a rude surprise, especially at your age. There's also alot of nice late model SL500s at or just north of your price range as well.

No kidding. Spark plug change = $450, 16 of them, platinum, and all the top engine dressing has to come off. :eek:

TriGem2k 01-05-2007 07:37 AM

Both cars push 493HP however the V12 Turbo has 590lbs torque while the S55 has 516lbs. I’ve driven both and the S55 is a COMEPLETELY different beast. Also the AMG with have a better resale value at the end although neither cars value will be high at all. As soon as the 2007 body style releases its AMG model the old models will see a big drop. MBZ does a HORIBLE job at retaining value.

We here have a 1997 S500 BB Value $8000(Bought new for 102k), a 2006 S500 AMG BB value $60000 (Bought new for 96K) and a 2007 S550 BB Value 75K (Bought new $121k). THEY DO NOT RETAIN VALUE and that’s why you’re getting a 100k-120k car for 50k. Plus they are a dime a dozen, who wants what everyone else got?

Perfectlap 01-05-2007 08:23 AM

Have you been reading Consumer Reports lately? :p

Merc got trashed. I believe they were the car make with most models to have so many cars make Consumer Report worst list. All of their convertibles, the SUV(shocker), CLK and even the new CLS. Probably Merc's worst showing in a decade.

An AMG like a RUF Porsche, is EXTREMELY expensive to insure. Although the two aren't really the same because AMG is wholly owned by Merc but that makes no difference to the underwriter, they'll stick you with a nice BIG surcharge.

By the way I have no idea how someone can drive Porsche brakes and give that up for what they put on Mercs. Braking is the most underated aspect of a car and I personally could never live with anything I have seen from Merc.
p.s.
I also feel ridiculous driving a four door sedan, like I should be wearing a chauffer's cap on my head.

Dr. Kill 01-05-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Have you been reading Consumer Reports lately? :p

Merc got trashed. I believe they were the car make with most models to have so many cars make Consumer Report worst list. All of their convertibles, the SUV(shocker), CLK and even the new CLS. Probably Merc's worst showing in a decade.

Yeah, my brother-in-law currently works for them and has been a huge Mercedes fan his whole life. He advised me against buying one and has said that he would not purchase any of the recent models himself. They are hoping that some of their initiatives improves their quality, but until then...

YellowPorscheMan2002 01-05-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
IM about to sell my boxster for the 2nd time.Im going to get a Mercedes 2003 S600 or a 2003 s55 amg.What one do you think is better,i love the way the amg looks but i also LOVE the Twin-Turbo V-12 that comes in the S600?
thanks

Dude:

Get yourself an SL55 AMG. Forget the SL600; for the same money your getting all the AMG technology in the breaks, suspension, etc. plus the panoshe if you will.

The way the SL's depreciate you can get yourself a sweet deal on a car that went over 120K new, and will outperform almost anything out there. Plus, you get comfortable seats beyond your dreams, and a retractable hard top.

Forget the S Class, too big and "clumsy." :rolleyes:

ElStevano 01-06-2007 12:37 PM

You could hang in there and save, save, save and get a Panamera perhaps...

djomlas 01-06-2007 01:07 PM

either one u get u cant go wrong, they are both great cars, its just what u prefer better...couse at the end of the day ure gonn be the one driving it.
but y not look into a used 911. that car looks and is all business, id love to pick one up later on sometime

good luck, and let us know what you decide to get

racer_d 01-07-2007 05:34 PM

One reason to ****************-can the Benzes? Um.. it was 70 degrees here (Northern Va) yesterday... TOP DOWN. Won't be doing that with a sedan ;)

blkboxster 01-08-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
One reason to ****************-can the Benzes? Um.. it was 70 degrees here (Northern Va) yesterday... TOP DOWN. Won't be doing that with a sedan ;)

thats true but i can put down 4 windows something you cant do with a boxster;)
i have also decided to get a S55 amg instead of the s600,The s600 was to much of a drivers car and i was really really quiet.The amg was way more sporty

Perfectlap 01-08-2007 02:29 PM

Incidentally I know you are coming from a 2.5 liter engine, but have you
driven the new 3.4 Boxster or the CaymanS? Not quiet the power of an AMG
but I'd like to see someone outlap either one of those cars in ANY car from Merc.
Ther's sport-y and then there's sports car. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Mercs I've seen at an autocross or track event.

But if you are after rear seats then I'd guess Porsche is a no go.