Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Retrofit Glass window top on eBay...

I've been searching for a replacement top for my 97 and was planning to go with a fairly expensive GAHH top until I saw this one on fleaBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=320067252610

The seller emailed me a couple of times to tell me that he includes a written, 5 year warranty on the top, and at any time during the first year, the labor to replace the top is also covered.

He stated that if the glass window decides to separate from the top it will probably happen in the first three to four months of use.

Seems like a good deal to me. Anyone bought this top from this seller?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Looks like a good deal.

Tell you what, you buy it bring it on over and I will help you put it on, then if the window does not blow out in 2 months or the top does not tear I will buy one and you can help me put it on

I have been wanting to "De-Plastic" for awhile.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #3

I myself might be a Boxster owner here pretty soon, I wouldnt mind lending a hand
Blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatallic
I myself might be a Boxster owner here pretty soon, I wouldnt mind lending a hand

Hey more the merrier, I'll make coffee.

Of course they may taste like Bloody Mary's in the morning and Margaritta's in the afternoon
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #5

Randel, Just read your 10 things before buying a used boxster...gotta say that it scared the hell out of me
Blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #6

That's pretty nice! Probably $400 less than the GAHH? top with the glass window.

I'd put a black top on to replace my grey one if I could save that much money!

PLEASE post if you do purchase this top. When I replace my top (in the next year or so), I want one with a glass rear window.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #7

I've been eye ballin' that top too. Keep us updated. Seems like a killer deal.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've been searching for a replacement top for my 97 and was planning to go with a fairly expensive GAHH top until I saw this one on fleaBay:
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #9

Hi,

What does the manufacturer have to say regarding accessing the Engine Bay and putting the Top in the Service Position? Does it require dismantling like the GAHH Top does? I went to his FAQ's and was not impressed by the lack of Boxster specific information available...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #10

Got my top from Cabrio World ( who buys from Robbins Tops ) and it is great so far. Material looks identical to factory and the window is smaller than the plastic one. It has to be smaller so it can fold properly behind the seats. It is very difficult to put in the service position, not sure what to do when it really needs to be done.
Boxster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #11

Here's one big reply for everyone who asked questions...

Houston area Boxster guys: If you think I am going to install this myself you've been smoking too much weed (and not sharing it with me, that's for sure). I watched Hans do it once and it's a pain in the arse. Unlike the oh-so-pricey Porsche tops that come with all new hardware and aluminum support pieces glued on, these cheaper aftermarket tops (plastic or glass) require removing parts from the old fabric top and gluing them exactly in the same position on the new top with gorilla glue.

Hans spit and cussed and threw tools at the back wall of his garage when I was over there because he agreed to do it for Ethan (Ephidaboost).

We'd surely get something wrong. I just know it. Therefore, if I buy it Hans will do the install for sure! He's quoted me 4 hours for the job because he now knows what's involved. I think he took nearly 10 hours to do Ethan's but didn't charge him for all those hours. It would take us about 20+ hours and I bet it wouldn't fit right.

Jim, I am assuming this glass top version will not open fully just like the GAHH top won't open fully. However, my mechanic said it's 15 minutes to unbolt the thing on both sides when and if I ever have to have work done on the top of the engine. Lord knows I am not going to service the top part of my engine for any reason so I don't care and I am more than willing to pay him an extra $25 (1/4 hour labor rate) when and if he has to do it. This is a small price to pay for me to have a new top that closes properly (no guiding the sides into the grooves) and opens properly (I have to chop both the window and the fold above it because it was down permanently with a previous owner who had a hard top and the elastic is totally shot).

Jeff, the window appears to be the exact same size as the GAHH top. There's no way to have a larger window and it still fold up with the old-style factory frame. Not a big deal to me as the top is down a vast majority of the time. I only raise it to go into stores (if I absolutely have to park it in a public lot) or if the weather turns on me. I don't even take it out of the garage if the weather looks inclement!

Fray, I think he has other colors including gray. Check his other auctions.

Blatallic, I was a little pissed off at the world when I composed that... I need to edit it so that it doesn't scare off potential boxster owners, huh? That's what writers do when they buy a POS and then live with it.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-03-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
There's no way to have a larger window and it still fold up with the old-style factory frame.
Yes there is. The window can be split into two parts with a fabric hinge in between. The window can then be larger and the top can be fully folded for engine service. There would be a blind spot in the center of the rear window but I've driven pleny of cars with spoilers that have the same effect with no real impedence on visibility. The top manufacturers simply haven't caught on yet.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Yes there is. The window can be split into two parts with a fabric hinge in between. The window can then be larger and the top can be fully folded for engine service. There would be a blind spot in the center of the rear window but I've driven pleny of cars with spoilers that have the same effect with no real impedence on visibility. The top manufacturers simply haven't caught on yet.
Seeme like a "folding glass window" would just cause issues, A fabric hinge would be a real weak spot.

That said, I thought the smaller window on my GAHH top would bug me, I got used to it so fast I never even thought about it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Seeme like a "folding glass window" would just cause issues, A fabric hinge would be a real weak spot.

That said, I thought the smaller window on my GAHH top would bug me, I got used to it so fast I never even thought about it.
It's no different than what happens with the top material and glass seams now.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #15

I've had my GAHH top for a year now, and really like it. Cabrioworld tops are GAHH tops. I am due for my 30K service. Do they need to access the engine for this service?
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #16

I paid Cabrio World for my top, it was drop shipped from Robbins Tops direct. Tops from Gahh have a rubber/plastic molding around the glass. Robbins Tops are flush. See mine......
Boxster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #17

That's the view I want when I look at the back of my boxster this summer! What on earth do you do with all the spare time you have now that you don't have to get out and chop the top?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #18

That's funny I was just looking at this top on fleabay the other day. As some of you already know I ripped a 7 inch hole in mine. Due to my dumbass forgetting to chop the window before opening! Anyway let me know if this is a good item and how many hours of install it will take if I bring it somewhere professional to do it. I live in Walnut Creek(San Francisco area) California. So if anybody knows of a person or shop that can install this for me??? Thanks in advance guys!
Tiptronic, Sport Package, 18's
1998 Red Pontiac Tran Am
9.46 sec @146 mph
2005 Black Jaguar X-Type
Navigation, Subs, rims
BlueBox2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 AM   #19

My GAHH top has no rubber molding around the window..it is flush. When I called Cabrioworld last summer they said they get from GAHH, however that may have changed now as you say.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #20

I don't like the quote "If it separates it will happen early." Makes it sound like all they have are the old bad ones from GAHH. I haven't heard of once instance of the new GAHH tops separating. Make sure if he is going to warranty the top he will also pay for a 2nd installation if it goes bad. If not you'll end up paying more money than the GAHH and have a real pain in the ass.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote