Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 AM   #1

Question '99 Boxster

I have a '99 Boxster. Ii now have a smell of radiator fluid inside the car and the windows are fogging up when i use the heat. I have been told that Ii need a new heating coil, without anyone having looked at the car. My experience with the local Porsche dealer has been very poor. Ccan anyone give me a liitle insight to the issue? Is this a costly issue, and where can I get parts?

albiemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #2

That does sound like the heatling coil and it IS expensive. Porsche parts can give you a quick answer on the cost issue, labor, I haven't a clue. Again, the dealer can give you an estimate, etc.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #3

Hi,

Yep, it's definitely the Heater Core (or as Porsche calls it, the Heat Exchanger), classic symptoms.

But, it's not quite as bad as Bruce describes. I've owned cars where the Heater Core had to be literally cut out of the housing, replaced and then the housing welded back together.

On the Boxster, the access isn't too bad, some of the Wiper system must be removed, then the Core is just Plug and Play, refill and bleed the cooling system and you're good to go. Maybe 3 Hrs. for a DIY (generous estimate).

The PN# is 996.572.129.00 and an old ******************************************** Catalog lists it for $195, so I'd figure $225-$250 + the cost of the coolant - check several sources, Pelican Parts, Suncoast, etc. for best prices. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
that doesnt sound like an expencive fix
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #5

Yup, sounds exactly like what happened to my father and I in a 1981 Buick Skylark. We were driving along and all of a sudden the window fogged up (harder than heck to wipe it clean) and the distinct smell of coolant filled the passenger compartment. Replacing them are a PITA, but with Porsche service costing an arm and three legs I personally would find a way to do it myself. If you don't have one already, pick up a maintenance manual (Bentley) for about $50 from Amazon.com. I would imagine that it has a step by step procedure for replacing the heater core.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote