Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
I'll be doing this mod in a near future (the earlier the better) need soem help

this is the mod im talking about
http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1067764&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

i know the length of the pipes as indicated there, but what are the bending measurments and how does the large exhaust tip install on the modified exhaust tip?
anyone got any info on this, i have no clue how to reach the guy that did the actual mod.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
boggtown

Thats the same thing as my bypass valves, except itd cost a lot in labor, itd involve taking out your muffler, its irreversible (Pretty much), and there is the chance you wont pass inspection now that your bypassing the muffler (not for sure). Why do you prefer this method?

As for the tip, there are 4 welds keeping it on. Dremel those and take it off. Buy a new tip and cut it to the same curve as the stock one and weld it on. I did, I like my new tip. I think I did a post about it, cant remember.

Last edited by boggtown; 01-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #3

well....i prefer this method because its pretty much free, just cost of pipe and bending them
- i dont worry about emissions
- i know its ireversable
- i know it involves taking out the muffler which i will do
- it will cost no more than couple of bux to just buy the pipe and bend it, im not worried about velding
- and there are no inspections that im worried about

also, ill see how i can make some kind of a 'cap' to slose off the outlet that goes into the tip for emissions when time comes for that, so its not a big deal. 2 months ago my inspection was on another car, they just plugged it into the computer and that was it, so i dont think it effects anyhting with exhaust anyways (but 100% not sure)

and for the tip, i have the Eisenmann tip on there now on top of the stock one, but after the pipes go there i dont know how it will fit, maybe some dremel action?

so wait, u think its gonn b more or less than what u paid for parts and install? i read it and its still confusing, sorry

Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
boggtown

I dont think parts will be much money. But unless your doing it yourself its gonna cost a chunk of change for them to drill, bend, and weld it. I assume it will cost about $100, but there will be permanent resonance. I love the way mine sounds, really I do, but its pretty harsh around town unless im jacking around driving fast. Thats why I keep my valves shut unless im wanting to have fun. I think that when my valves are 1/4 open itd be equivelent to those bypass pipes... and while it may sound awesome, it will be hard to talk to the person next to you. As a daily driver you'll get sick of it. I had an illegal race exhaust on my BMW and it was loud, mean, and fun. But after a couple months you just wish you could turn it down some or have it be normal for a bit. If you could just take a drive with me youd see how great itd sound, and also how itd be annoying. If you do it you gotta take video so we can compare.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #5

i had straight pipes on my LS1 camaro, no exhaust whatsoever, so i kinda know what loud is (and im sure the box wont be louder than that, no way), and that is music to my ear, and my GF loves the sound of engine compared to some music on radio (we barely ever listen to radio while driving so its kool).

i think that the way i can control this is by the size(diameter) of the pipe used / the size of the hole, but of course u can never go back if u make a bigger hole and want to go smaller.

the work will be done by me and my friend, so all the $ aspect of it will be bending the pipe and cost of actual pipe, so im thinking $50 range or so, wouldnt you say?

i gotta actually get ahold of my friends dad, he has his own pipe company, so i may just get this mod virtually free i hope hehehe

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #6

If you haven't already figured out how to determine the bend angle might I suggest you buy a roll of wire or solder and use it to estimate the routing (I prefer the solder). Once you have a "mock up" you can use it to measure the bend angle and ballpark the desired radii. I would also suggest you keep the tubing long until after you bend it. It's easier to cut tubing than weld more on...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #7

thx sammy, ill be doing exastly that.
i was trying to find a way to do this, i knew there was gonna be a simple way.
thx again