Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

Baby = Bye Bye Boxster

Well June 13 is my baby's due date and I hate to say goodbye to my Boxster (especially since it's paid off), anyone know the rules of baby car seats in Texas? if it's illegal to have a baby strapped to a carseat in the passenger side then I will have to trade my Boxster in for a Mitsubishi Evo or a Sub STI. What do you guys think? Getting another beater car is kinda out of the question since I already own a beater 92 corolla.

hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Well i think any other those vehicles would be fine... look up the crash test ratings and then go for a test drive with both of them and decide which you like better.

You should move to California... apparently we allow babys to drive SUV's ex: Britney Spears

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
bmussatti

Children are awesome! This link will help you:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/Public_information/pr090705.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
Well June 13 is my baby's due date and I hate to say goodbye to my Boxster (especially since it's paid off), anyone know the rules of baby car seats in Texas? if it's illegal to have a baby strapped to a carseat in the passenger side then I will have to trade my Boxster in for a Mitsubishi Evo or a Sub STI. What do you guys think? Getting another beater car is kinda out of the question since I already own a beater 92 corolla.
I know we can have the baby upfront in illinois....it appears from the link here you can have them in the front in texas, just have the airbag deactivated and keep the box, especially if its paid off....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #5

Congrats! I don't know the car seats rules there in Texas but why would you trade in a "paid off" car esp. it's a Boxster to the dealer? The dealer might lo-ball the price value of your Boxster.
I don't know your financial status, but IMHumbleO...I would keep it and get a family car or sell it and then use the money to buy a family car. If you are going to sell it, wait till probably around April or May so you could get more money out of it

I give you a pat in the shoulder for thinking/preparing ahead about the new addition to the family.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #6

Hi,

Since it's paid off, throw a blanket over it and give it to your child as a College Graduation Present in 25 yrs. It will be much appreciated! They can drive it, or sell it and pay-off a substantial portion of their Student Loans...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Congratulations on the impending birth! Depending on model year, there are two methods used to deactivate the passenger airbag, neither very inexpensive. There are postings where other Boxster owners have created their own belt buckle to deactivate the airbag in the older Boxster. While their technique seems to be technically sound, I just didn't want to take a chance; the cargo is too precious.

I live in Fort Worth and we ride in the Boxster whenever we can. The experience has created some of my fondest memories and I hope it's the same for the kid. It would be great if you can keep the Boxster but do what's right. There will be other chances for cars.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #8

Thanks to all, I'm alot safer driver then I used to be so I'm going to keep the boxster and de-activate the airbags. I really don't want to get into another debt if I don't have to, preparing for my baby is changing my life pretty drastically. I need to sell my house to build a bigger one so I have to save dinero where I can. Funny, my boxster used to carry girls home from the clubs a few years ago, now by next year it will be carrying a minime around.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to all, I'm alot safer driver then I used to be so I'm going to keep the boxster and de-activate the airbags. I really don't want to get into another debt if I don't have to, preparing for my baby is changing my life pretty drastically. I need to sell my house to build a bigger one so I have to save dinero where I can. Funny, my boxster used to carry girls home from the clubs a few years ago, now by next year it will be carrying a minime around.

good call....I will have mine set up once the kid can ask for a ride in it....she'll be two in March so that day I'm sure will be coming soon....congrats!
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #10

There is no state that says it is illegal to have an baby in the front.

HOWEVER,

1) you will need to get an airbag-deactivation set-up, likely from the dealer

2) It is NOT RECOMMENDED for a REAR facing child seat to be near an airbag (but the deactivation kit should solve that concern)

3) This is all a bunch of hype by people who want to tell you how to run your life. Yes, the "safest" place for a baby is the "middle" seat of the "back" seat of a 15,000 lb behemouth, but only if you are on your cell phone

Point is, the goverment can't tell you what kind of car to buy (at least not yet). You think people in "texas" with 2 door bench seat pick-em ups sell them to get a "family car"? BS.

Keep the Boxster (heck, it is paid for). I also assume its not the only car in your home. if it is, well, then maybe you would need to sell so you can take wife AND kid AND you AND the stroller to the mall to keep buying more baby crap.

4) Do check local county and state rules. Most will tell you kids under a certain age/weight need to be in some kind of car seat, but that is all they should tell you.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #11

Hate to sound like a complete loser here but you better check with the wife first...the law may allow it, however the REAL law (childs mother) may not...I had a seat and deactivation kit lined up to be purchased from a forum member and had to kindly back away from the purchase...the absolute best place for a child is in the back seat.

That being said, keeping the car is a good choice. My son and I find a lot of ways to enjoy it together and is a really good/easy bond with the him. I bought him a matchbox Boxster, so he has his and daddy has his, and we always talk about who's is faster...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Well what year is your Boxster. If you can resell it for atleast 28k, you could buy a 996 and they have back seats.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #13

I'm going to buy the airbag deactivation kit, my box is a 98 so no such luck on a 996, my wife is cool with me having the box because I bought her a 04 volvo xc90 (the suv one) back in 2003 so we have her volvo, my 92 corolla in case of emergency and my box. if i ever sell my box i think i'm going Evo.