Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #1

Why Block your License Plates when posting a Pic on this sit

I have been a cop for over 8 yrs. and find it a little oddthat people either cover or write over their license plates when posting on sites. The problem is that no matter what more people see your plate on the road and the other thing it really doesn't matter cause most of the people on this site put where they are from ( state) any way. I just kind feel it's useless to cover a license that is seen by people while your driving . Just opinion .

Last edited by clb0099; 12-31-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #2

I agree, but, I think it's a privacy issue. Say for example, someone really pisses you off on the board, or worse yet, wants to "borrow" your car. As you know, it's quite easy to run plates and obtain the registered owner and address.
USA

:troll:
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #3

The thing with running plates you would still have to go to your local police department and even at that they could not release any info. Also there is really no privacy issue to be honest. You have no privacy to your license plate since it easily viewed by the public. I just feel it's useless not only on this site but in general no added protection . More like a mental thing

Last edited by clb0099; 12-31-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
I have been a cop for over 8 yrs. and find it a little oddthat people either cover or write over their license plates when posting on sites. The problem is that no matter what more people see your plate on the road and the other thing it really doesn't matter cause most of the people on this site put where they are from ( state) any way. I just kind feel it's useless to cover a license that is seen by people while your driving . Just opinion .
I hear you and agree. Maybe it's paranoia? Some don't like posting VINs either... it's not a social security number. VINs are just as accessible as license plates -just a little harder to read.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 12-31-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #5

I just figured that I was the only one confused by it .. cause on ebay some have it covered then others don't.. when it doesn't either way
Old 12-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i find it useless as well.

even if i covered my plate, how many of this color will u see in IL? hehehe

so i really cant piss anyone off, on site or while driving (new yrs resolution)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 01-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #7

clb0099 wrote:
> I have been a cop for over 8 yrs. and find it a little odd
> that people either cover or write over their license plates
> when posting on sites.

Well, I don't even understand why people here choose to hide behind pseudonyms -- just like yourself, "clb0099" How silly isn't that..?!

But then again, I'm European -- so what do I know..?

-- peer
Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Ok, you start then -let's see a shot of your car with the plate uncovered.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
Well, I don't even understand why people here choose to hide behind pseudonyms -- just like yourself, "clb0099" How silly isn't that..?!

But then again, I'm European -- so what do I know..?

-- peer
No pseudonym here. In fact, I've seen a couple of board members use there full name for their screen name.

Personally, if I am protecting anything of mine online, it's my main email address.

-- Jeph
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:

Sgt.,

What do NJ police officers think of Porsche's without a front license plate?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Speaking of plates...

Anyone run with those clear plastic license plate covers? Thinking it will keep plate in good shape, but maybe it'll look tacky? Opinions?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Old 01-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #12

This is to the person who is interested in my name... Those are my initials Clb0099... your point is not valid ... I mean come on if your going to attack me at least come with something better. Plus I was stating the fact of blocking plates in the United States not outside of it but heck you stated something that was a personal attack. Now does that answer your question since my post name has been my AOL name prior and my email address is also shown on here no need to hide it not something that someone could get a credit card with or get a loan with LOL. Oh well I guess your point went no where. Now back to the topic that was posted. There is no reason to hide your license plate when you drive on public roads...

Last edited by clb0099; 01-02-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #13

I have both plates uncovered on my car ... Nothing to hide and no I don't have police plates or anything on my car. I was simply stating a known fact that I have been seeing on sites for years now. When I get my car out of the body shop and it's done I will post a picture for those curious to see my uncovered plates... LOL...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Sgt.,

What do NJ police officers think of Porsche's without a front license plate?

I have never personally written a driver for not displaying a front plate but I can not speak for other departments in New Jersey . I don't think it answered you question but very hard to speak for other cops in this state.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Anyone run with those clear plastic license plate covers? Thinking it will keep plate in good shape, but maybe it'll look tacky? Opinions?
I use the covers from Weathertech. I like the look much better than uncovered. Since I have to have them in WA.

Covering your license plate makes perfect sense to me. If you have never had your identity stolen, you may still be somewhat naive about it. I find no sense of paranoia bout it. I always say, lock it up, keep the dumb thieves out! Same goes for personal info. If Iwanted plates run, I know i could get them. I might have to pay a little, but that's all.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #16

Haha, 8-year police vet suggests Boxster owners not worry about plate privacy. Perhaps you should mention this in the "How fast have you gone?" thread

Just kidding, it's a fair opinion. But at the end of the day...why not go the extra mile?

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #17

clb0099 wrote:
> your point is not valid ... I mean come on if your going
> to attack me at least come with something better.

Attack you?! Just because you don't see the irony between you "attacking" those who block their license-plates on-line and those who choose online acronyms for their names..? Is that it?

-- peer
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 AM   #18

The "why block the plate" was a general opinion unlike your comment where it had my posting name included . I could careless if someone saw my plate something that has nothing to do with privacy. Like I have stated before if it's seen in public then really not something that would need to be protected from people's eyes.

Closed Thread