Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #1

Question Tip shift removal

Has anyone removed a Tiptronic shift knob and if so was it a bear or relativlely easy? Mine has a few scratches and worn spots that I could touch up with a spray can if I could remove the shifter without too much ceremony. Any suggestions?

986geezer

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Has anyone removed a Tiptronic shift knob and if so was it a bear or relativlely easy? Mine has a few scratches and worn spots that I could touch up with a spray can if I could remove the shifter without too much ceremony. Any suggestions?

986geezer

Hi,

The Tip knob is very easy to remove. The best way to do it is to take a small right angle Allen Wrench, insert it under the Selector Button from the bottom. Then you pry the bottom of the Selector Button out of the Shift knob and remove it. Underneath, you'll find a Conical Spring and a Spring Clip. Remove these and the Shift Knob will lift off the stalk. Installation is the reverse, but note the position of the Conical Spring when removing it and reinstall it in the correct orientation. See attached images to visualize the procedure. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, I take it the spring tension is what holds the button in place and prying up overcomes this to allow removal? Once the button and spring are out will the knob just slide up and off or are there any other screws of clips to be removed? Diagrams like you sent are the greatest and thanks again.

986geezer
Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Thanks Jim, I take it the spring tension is what holds the button in place and prying up overcomes this to allow removal? Once the button and spring are out will the knob just slide up and off or are there any other screws of clips to be removed? Diagrams like you sent are the greatest and thanks again.

986geezer
Hi,

The Spring provides the resistance against pushing the Selector Button. The Button is held onto the knob just by a slight compression fit and by a small bracket molded onto it's backside which slips over the little Bar visible in the 2nd image just above the Spring Clip. Remove the Spring Clip shown in the image, and the knob will just lift off the stalk...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-31-2006 at 08:45 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #5

Smile

Ahh yes, I see what you are saying and thanks again Jim. Actually the button section of the knob is all I have to remove as that is what I want to repaint. Mine has a few worn spots that are down to the black and I think I can do a nice job of respraying to spruce it up. Good bunch of guys on this list and a Happy New Year to all.

986geezer