Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #1

Disabling the passenger airbag.

I have a 2002 boxster S and would like to install a switch to allow disabling the passenger airbags in the event a small rider comes along. I know that porsche makes a seat that will plug into a special dealer installed buckle for this purpose, but I allready have a seat and In a pinch if I need to give a kid a ride I would like to be able to disable the bags. Does anyone have any ideas?

funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #2

I believe you still need to go to a dealer to get their "kit". I am also looking into this procedure for my car.

The issue isn't so much the car seat used, but the sensors to disable the bag. In new cars those sensors are built in. I can't recall what year porsche introduced the "key" portal on the side of the dash to disable the bag. Therefore, in addition to the computer getting re-programed, you need the manual interface (some kind of bar and belt latch) to shut off the airbag. And I have heard it costing anywhere from $200-1000 depending on the usual BS.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #3

From what I can tell he dealer kit is a bar with a buckle that the porsche childseat plugs into. That buckle has two wires going to it and is the only sensor that deactivates the bags by sensing that the childseat is buckled in. It's basically a switch that can only be turned on with the use of their buckle. I,m speculating that it could be replaced with a toggle switch. The bar part of the deal is part of the anchoring for the specific Porsche seat I'm pretty sure.

funster is offline   Reply With Quote