Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #1

Remote Keyless Starters? Good idea??

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a keyless remote start put on an 03 Tiptronic Boxster? I have had one on every car I have owned up until now. I have a trust-worthy guy that does all the dealers work that can do it for $300. I think he is going to hardwire it (where you dont have to have a key in the ignition). It is a great thing. I had a Chrysler 300m that I did it on and you could start it from inside the house and in order to put it in gear, you had to insert the key and turn it (otherwise the car would shut off).

MrBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i got that for my mom as a gift, as she leaves the house at 5am, so its always cold in the car, so she leaves the heat on full blast and on widshield, and turns it on 5 mins or so b4 she leaves, and she said its the best gift ever.
good in summer or winter.

my friend has a z4, and his install was pretty expencive, but has an option to put the top up/down, windows up/down, and even lights on/off. kinda cool but not that usefull, other than the top up/down
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I have one on my Isuzu Trooper and it's great!

There is a lot of wiring to be done!!! I would not let a neighbor hood alarm place install it, find someone that has actually installed one in a Porsche.

Might be some warranty issues....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #4

Heck, since it's an automatic, GO FOR IT. If my daily driver were an automatic, I'd do it.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
the only thing that is not good about them in chicago....if a cop sees one started up they will give you a ticket....something about crime of opportunity bs, even though you need a key to get a car moving
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Mine starts the car and immediately locks the doors. If you touch the brake pedal before inserting and turning the key to the "run" position, the motor shuts off.

I have been paged a few times since it also turns the parking lights on while it's running...."There's a gold Isuzu in the parking lot with it's lights on".
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #7

So...

So does anyone actually have a keyless remote start installed in their Boxster? I see a lot of people on here talk about it but have yet to hear if anyone actually has one.
USSValor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #8

Ok let me be the one decenting voice here. (comming from a mechanic) I hate these things, yes it is a nice feature but be prepaired for trouble down the road. They can cause starting issues or lack of starting issues. I have also been working under the hood, doing eletrical problems and have had them start. The quality of install has alot to do with the functionality of the system but, I have removed more of them than I have installed. I will also tell you that if I get hurt as a result of one of these systems malfunctioning I will own you and the installer. This has been proven here in Va already.
If it is too much of an inconvience to walk out to start your car a few mins. before you leave the house you may want to look at your priorities.
This is all my opinion but I would recomend not installing one.

Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote