Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #1

My dilemma...

Hi everyone, newbie here. I currently have an '03 Jaguar X-type with 38,000 miles. SO that means the warranty is getting ready to run out (gulp). I can get an extended bumper to bumper for 4 additional years or 22,xxx more miles for $1,050 through my credit union. OR, I can purchase an '02 Boxster Cab with 18,510 miles for $23,000. It has heated seats and hi-fi audio with in dash CD, which I assume is better than stock? But, my credit union wants $3000 for the same warranty, which is 4 years from the date you sign the warranty or 60,000 total miles. Just looking for some input about the '02 Boxster. One other thing, I live in Chicago, so no garage, just an open parking space off the street. Don't know if this would cause problems with the top, etc. Thanks for the input.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Hi everyone, newbie here. I currently have an '03 Jaguar X-type with 38,000 miles. SO that means the warranty is getting ready to run out (gulp). I can get an extended bumper to bumper for 4 additional years or 22,xxx more miles for $1,050 through my credit union. OR, I can purchase an '02 Boxster Cab with 18,510 miles for $23,000. It has heated seats and hi-fi audio with in dash CD, which I assume is better than stock? But, my credit union wants $3000 for the same warranty, which is 4 years from the date you sign the warranty or 60,000 total miles. Just looking for some input about the '02 Boxster. One other thing, I live in Chicago, so no garage, just an open parking space off the street. Don't know if this would cause problems with the top, etc. Thanks for the input.
Those are two very different cars. Neither are terribly practical, but if you are an enthusiast, they both sound like good choices. Have you driven the Boxster yet? I would suggest you drive the Box and then decide if the loss of space will be worth the larger grin when you drive.

Both cars have their maintenance issues, but since you are looking at a warrantee, you should be in good shape.

Good luck – I don’t think you can make a bad decision here. They are both great cars. Let us know what you decide and why.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
hi, I'm in chi too.....my sister has a jag x type and I have a boxster.....she envy's my car! her ride is very similar to my parents hyundai sonata much to the chagrin of my brother in law.....

go with the box, and just don't make enemies.....either car is too nice for the street.....the box will warm up especially with heated seats.....get snow tires and you won't regret the decision once you drive it
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #4

Shaman,

I live in Chicago as well ( suburbs ), and I traded in my 2004 X-Type for a 1999 Boxster in April :

New Owner – Yeah !

There is not one day that has gone by that I wished I had kept the Jaguar

You will LOVE the Boxster !

As soon as it warms up, drop the top and take a cruise down Michigan Ave or LSD.

Life does NOT get much better

Good luck...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #5

I just had the dubious honor of driving an X type (3.0?) Enterprise rental for a week on a business trip. I have to say that the performance wasn't bad for a luxo-sedan, it moved briskly and handled surprisingly light and well, but that interior was horrendous. It's pretty clearly the interior of a Ford and who thought that green would be a good backlight?

Don't mean to diss anyone's ride, present or former, but it was...sad.

You're going to have trouble with your window regulators parking your box or any other convertible outside in freezing precipitation. Auto-adjust when opening or closing doors no workee well when the windows are frozen shut.

Aside from needing winter tires and wear to the plastic rear window you should be fine.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 12-21-2006 at 08:58 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well...i think they are both good cars, but they are too different kinds of cars for us to be decinding which one you need.
it would have been the same if you asked if you should keep a lifted up pickup truk and a lowrider....too different.
just my .02
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #7

Hi,

Anyone dissing the X-Type clearly lacks a thorough understanding - maybe the greatest sleeper of the past 25 years! Looks, Fit & Finish, Provenance, Reliability, great warranty, and moderate Performance for slightly more than the cost of an optioned Taurus.

But, it is literally in a different class than the Boxster, so comparing the two is like comparing a Frosty Malt to Hagen Das, completely different animals.

If you want a Sedan with some Panache, keep the Jag. But, if you want a drop top roadster, get the Boxster...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Anyone dissing the X-Type clearly lacks a thorough understanding - maybe the greatest sleeper of the past 25 years! Looks, Fit & Finish, Provenance, Reliability, great warranty, and moderate Performance for slightly more than the cost of an optioned Taurus.

But, it is literally in a different class than the Boxster, so comparing the two is like comparing a Frosty Malt to Hagen Das, completely different animals.

If you want a Sedan with some Panache, keep the Jag. But, if you want a drop top roadster, get the Boxster...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
thats what i was trying to say...but no ice cream on my mind at that time
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies everyone. After researching for about six hours last night I am going to start test driving after I get back from the holdiays. I have come to the conclusion that I might as well do it while young (30) and have some expendable income. And the Jag has been a nice car, but I had quite a few minor cosmetic and one major problem that was covered by the warranty. I was at first hesitant about the Boxster because I thought that a mid engine foreign sports car would be expensive to maintain, but then I learned that new brake pads on all four corners of the Jag would be $650+! For a Ford product! To the Chicago guys, do you recommend a Porsche dealer to have the PPI, and the name of any salesperson that you have dealt with? Thanks again everyone, I want one just to be a part of this board! I have lurked on other car forums and usually everything breaks out into a pissing match. Not here. Happy Holidays.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. After researching for about six hours last night I am going to start test driving after I get back from the holdiays. I have come to the conclusion that I might as well do it while young (30) and have some expendable income. And the Jag has been a nice car, but I had quite a few minor cosmetic and one major problem that was covered by the warranty. I was at first hesitant about the Boxster because I thought that a mid engine foreign sports car would be expensive to maintain, but then I learned that new brake pads on all four corners of the Jag would be $650+! For a Ford product! To the Chicago guys, do you recommend a Porsche dealer to have the PPI, and the name of any salesperson that you have dealt with? Thanks again everyone, I want one just to be a part of this board! I have lurked on other car forums and usually everything breaks out into a pissing match. Not here. Happy Holidays.
Sham1204, for sure do a PPI!!

I have been to all of the Porsche dealers in the Chicago area. There are about 5. Porsche Exchange in Highland Park always has a great selection of new cars. Westmont Porsche always has a great selection of used cars.

Have fun test driving.

Go to the Chicago Region PCA web-site and start reading "The Scene". This is our local region's publication. You can get a good feel for the events usually held in the Chicago area. www.pca-chicago.org.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that I might as well do it while young (30) and have some expendable income.
Excellent. I am not sure about your family situation, but you can always go with a sporty 4 door sometime down the road while a 2 seater doesn't always fit well into the mix. Do it now while you can.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #12

Shaman,

Joe Rizza Porsche in Orland Park has been good to me...

Paul Amato ( one of the salesmen ) has been a pleasure to deal with.

Hope this helps !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #13

I haven't read the other posts yet, but...

Quote:
I would look over the fine lines of any extended warranty. I bought a warranty *sucker I was, I guess* and I was not covered for many items such as RMS leak and they even had a deductible of $75 for any warranteed claims. Look over the fine print. In my experience I have found that it's better to pay after as opposed to before, unless you have a fully comprehensive warranty, which will likely cost you more
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #14

I have a 04' Jaguar XJR with a new pully on the supercharger. Has about 450 horsepower. The car is a rocket. Much fast than my '00 Boxster (non-S).
The car is more comfortable, has a much better sound system, NAV, BBS wheels, etc.

And when I have a choice on which car to drive:

NO QUESTION, I DRIVE MY BOXSTER

You just have to drive one to know why.

Look Luck

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #15

Guys, esp 'Teacher', I hate to be the one to point this out, but some of the threads you've been responding to are almost 2 years old.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb
Guys, esp 'Teacher', I hate to be the one to point this out, but some of the threads you've been responding to are almost 2 years old.
Thanks, bigb, but new owners may want to know this information too

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote