986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Another newbie, another question... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8682-another-newbie-another-question.html)

huffmjr 12-19-2006 11:57 AM

Another newbie, another question...

Hello all,

Just brought home my first Boxster, 2002 model with 23K miles.

Anyway, couple of quick questions if anyone can help me out...

1) when i shut off the car and take out the key i get 5 beeps inside the car (not horn/alarm, more like seat belt reminder type beep). is this normal, is it trying to tell me something?

2) got issues with the remote not working, and am getting a lot of good info here on that but when i lock the car from outside using the key in the drivers door the alarm sets and i get the alarm armed blinking light on the dash. i also get a single quick blast of the alarm horn (i know that's telling me something's wrong, probably the aftermarket radio that was installed by the previous owner) but the lights don't flash. is this normal?

3) when i unlock the door using the key, if i don't put the key in the ignition within, say a minute or two, the alarm goes off (alarm horn, lights blink, the works). shouldn't unlocking the door with the key disarm the alarm as well, or is having to put the key into the ignition normal?

again, thanks for all the great info!

john

djomlas 12-19-2006 11:59 AM

are your lights off for the 1st problem?

huffmjr 12-19-2006 12:06 PM

Wow, talk about quick response!

Yes, headlights are out, but that is exactly the kind of beep that it sounds like. Every time same thing, turn the car off, take out the key and 5 beeps.

john

MNBoxster 12-19-2006 12:17 PM

Hi,

A Beep (it's all the same one) indicates that a latch is open or as you say, the Radio isn't compatible with the system. The lights may not flash for this reason (s/b 2 flashes on Locking, 1 flash on Unlocking). IIRC, the fix is to ground the stray wire in the harness left over from the aftermarket installation.

If you unlock the door (remote or manually with key), but do not open the door within 60 sec. or so (dealer adjustable from 4 sec. - 120 sec.), the Central Locking System and Alarm relock/rearm themselves. This feature is to prevent a stray signal from a CB, Garage Door Opener or some such unlocking the car inadvertently - you're still protected.

You can also try the Emergency Locking procedure, which is to turn the key in the Driver's door to the Locking position 3 times in succession and see what happens...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

kabel 12-19-2006 12:18 PM

perhaps the lack of the oem head unit is triggering the additional beeps, I seem to recall reading about a certain wire that needs to be connected / disconnected so the security system doesn't' think the stereo has been removed...

huffmjr 12-20-2006 12:28 PM

All,

Thanks for the great responses! Just got back from my local Porsche dealer, got some additional info. Just in case this helps anyone else.

The key issue (unlocking door with key doesn't disarm alarm, must put key in ignition) is normal behavior.

The "five beep" issue if more than likely a security feature of the aftermarket radio that was installed. Sounds right to me 'cause the beeps sound an awful lot like the beep you hear when changing radio functions.

Good news is he says it has a very clean warranty history, only a few minor things. The "biggest" thing was the dreaded RME, which was replaced on mine. Personally I view this as a good thing 'cause hopefully I won't have to go through this now.

Thanks again to all!