Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Thanks for the info! Nice work guys on your calipers! I am thoroughly impressed that you (Bob) didn't have to take the assembly apart. It looks easier than I thought. Were you able to access the back without taking them off? Any pitfalls to spraying vs. brush work? With spraying, it didn't look like you had any paint runs? And for the brushwork, I couldn't see any brush marks?
The masking didn't take THAT long. I just used newspapers and painter's tape so I wouldn't get residue on anything. But you do need to be careful and make sure everything you don't want red (or yellow) is covered. It's not necessary to take off the calipers. You can get to the back of them without removing them. That is, if you WANT to get to the back of them. Its only cosmetic so if you miss a little bit, it's not a big deal. I did the best I could and without taking them off to inspect them I don't know if I missed any places or not!

As far as runs.. just apply several light coats and you won't need to worry. Chips can be a problem down the road, whether you're using the brush method or the spray method. My plan is to use some brush-on product (testors?? ugh or I'll see if duplicolor makes a brush on red that matches) and see what it looks like. The chips are so small though, they're hardly noticable unless you're really looking, or changing the pads.

I decided to use the spray method only because several other posters on several other boards had complaints about it. But, if you're careful, I suppose you can get equally satisfying results using either method.

And in case you didn't know.. the decals are available at www.xenonmods.com
for something like $10.

Good luck with whichever you choose. Show us the results.

Bob

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #22

Thanks for the info! Won't get around to it probably until the Spring. Might just do them simultaneously when I do my rotors. But, I will certainly let you know what happens when I do.

BTW, sorry BoxsterRS....I kinda' highjacked your thread here. Good luck with your calipers and please post your results when you're done, especially pics from your autoshow in P.R. Would definitely like to see how you do and what you decide on.

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote