Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2024, 12:04 PM   #1

Garage
03 986S engine into 00 986S chassis

I'm wondering about the difficulty and pain associated with installing a 2003 986S engine into a 2000 986S chassis. I realize the engines are different mainly due to the upgrade from variocam to variocam+ but what other problems might I encounter? I would have the newer car's ECU and any other parts as it is a wrecked car. Is this fairly straight forward or too many differences that it will become a mess? Mainly I'm worried about compatibility with other ECU's and similar issues.

Also, is the 6 speed transmission the same exact model in both years? I ask because I am also hoping to use the two to make one working transmission so I'm basically asking if the internal gears, synchros, bearings are all the same parts and interchangeable? Yes, I know what I'm asking but maybe someone knows.

And I assume a 2003 engine will be the smaller single row IMS bearing, correct? Is that certain or are there still double rows floating around in 03?

Many thanks and hope everyone's projects are coming along well....

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 12:12 PM   #2

The IMS will be the single row.

Good luck on the swap; the fuel system is different, the DME is different, the 03 is 100% CAN bus communication between the control module and the DME while the 00 has little if any CAN bus communication capabilities, the wiring harnesses are different to accommodate things that were common in 03 but didn't exist is 00, etc., etc.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:35 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The IMS will be the single row.

Good luck on the swap; the fuel system is different, the DME is different, the 03 is 100% CAN bus communication between the control module and the DME while the 00 has little if any CAN bus communication capabilities, the wiring harnesses are different to accommodate things that were common in 03 but didn't exist is 00, etc., etc.
Thanks, JFP, that's what I needed to know and had no idea even existed. Oh, well, and so the Boxster shall sit for yet even longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Or I might just throw it together with what I have now and hope for the best. It worked with my Alfa Milano 15 years ago and it's still revving happily to this day..... (knock on wood!)
Arrgghhh!
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
Old 08-31-2024, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
It worked with my Alfa Milano 15 years ago and it's still revving happily to this day..... (knock on wood!) Arrgghhh!
Nuvolari, would you mind sharing some pictures of your Milano? I sold my Verde a few years ago and I miss it dearly..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 11:10 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Nuvolari, would you mind sharing some pictures of your Milano? I sold my Verde a few years ago and I miss it dearly..
Ha, please don’t expect a garage queen, my Milano is a well weathered beater that has survived 3 collisions (none my fault) and a few hit while parkeds but i still absolutely love that car, so much that i have crazy dreams of being done with the misery of our beloved M96 engine for a nice 24 valve Alfa Busso V6. Please consult the chart below:

Known Issues Resulting in Catastrophic Engine Failures:

Porsche M96: 31 (too many to list)
Alfa Romeo Busso V6: 1 (timing belt)

See, it’s clear!

Anyway, lemme find some pics and Porsche fans will appreciate the obvious German connection I’ve installed on my Milano. Paint fans will notice the even more obvious failure of the clear coat.
Stand by….

Last edited by nuvolari; 09-06-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:43 PM   #6

Garage
Sorry for the delay but here are some pics of one of the most loved Milanos in the world in all its grandeur and beauty....

First, a couple on Piuma Rd in Malibu, Los Angeles canyons at their finest.

Then one in the Valley before the move to Tennessee and the car's first ever winter with lots of snow and lots of below zero temps. The Milano was unimpressed, as was I.

And now a Momo wheel with a proper Alfa horn button and an extra engine I have waiting for, well, not sure exactly but it is pretty!

My Milano has a 2.5 liter V6 with Alfa Romeo S cams and a center and rear Ansa exhaust, not exactly fast but decent enough. And it revs nicely and best of all, sounds incredible.

And of course, Porsche 15x7 Phone Dials with 205/50-15 Nitto NT05 tires. I managed to find one of the only sets of wheel adapters and having always thought that Porsche Phone Dials would look great on a Milano, it was an easy decision. Prolly could have gone with 16" but I also have a set of those on my Scirocco so there might be a time when the wheels get switched between those cars. Strangely enough, I have Cup 1's for my 951 although at the moment I have my Boxster wheels on the 951 and the Cups on the non running Boxster due to tire issues.

87 Alfa Romeo Milano

Last edited by nuvolari; 09-04-2024 at 01:51 PM.