Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2024, 06:22 PM   #1

Top not working.

Last night I couldn't get the top to go up. This morning I tried again and it worked just great all day. After driving for awhile with the top up and the A/C going, I tried later to lower the top and it wouldn't do anything. Ignition on, parking brake on engine running or not, latch unlocked, I pushed the top down button and nothing would happen. WTF. I really hate intermittent problems. Anyone experience this or is my car possessed? Or did I forget to do something?

Cheers, Elliot

Elliot Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 07:19 AM   #2

Top not working.Reply to Thread

Man, intermittent issues are the worst, right? Sounds like your Boxster's playing games with you. If the top worked fine earlier and then just stopped, it could be a couple of things.
First, check if there's any obstruction in the top mechanism. Sometimes even a small thing can mess it up.
Also, inspect the fuses related to the convertible top—sometimes they blow without warning.

If it’s none of that, it could be a faulty switch or a glitch in the top control module. Sometimes these things just need a reset or a quick visit to the dealer for a scan. Just make sure you’ve done all the basic checks like ensuring the top’s fully latched and the parking brake’s engaged.
Frasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 09:12 AM   #3

Hey Elliot,..Not sure which year you may have...my 02' has a switch around the base of the emergency brake handle ( hidden by cosole) that if it's not operable will not let the top drop,..it's only happened to me twice,..but with a few tug's on the brake handle,..seem to fix my issue hasnt happened again in a few year's..How's that 914 !....Frank

Last edited by flmont; 07-23-2024 at 09:25 AM.
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 07:41 PM   #4

I watched a video about this same problem. I found the top control relay above the fuse box. I removed it, tapped it on the floor a few times, re-installed it and it now works perfectly. Apparently the relay can get stuck and you have to unstick it.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:23 AM   #5

Ahh,..Nice I didnt know about that one
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Ahh,..Nice I didnt know about that one
It happened again today. Top didn't work. I pulled out the top control relay. Tapped it on the floor of the garage a few times. Worked great. Looks like a new top control relay in my near future.LOL
Old 08-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #7
New Boxster S owner

There are some top mods out there that involve jumping pins on that relay. Maybe one of those will help. A new relay is $250. A smart top relay is $500.
madtown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 02:25 PM   #8

I bought a new relay and now the hand brake switch isn't working!!!!