Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #1

Cooling upgrade suggestions

Hey guys, I recently took my car to Rocky Mountain National Park and for the first time ever I saw my engine temp gage start to creep higher and higher. I was driving up a mountain road at a constant 30 mph on a very hot day (about 90f).

I feel like this is something the boxster should be able to handle, so it's annoying that it couldn't.

I've already got a new water pump and low temp thermostat waiting to be installed, and I have a stock center radiator because I bought an S, but since I'll be draining the coolant and want to make my car as reliable as possible I'm curious if there are any other reliability mods I can do while I'm in there.

I've already cleared the radiators of debris earlier this year and I added some wire mesh to the bumper cover to prevent new debris from getting into the radiators, but I'm considering upgrading to a thicker unit. Any suggestions on known, reliable brands I should consider?

Old 07-21-2024, 05:18 AM   #2

Check to make sure your coolant overflow tank does not have oil in it. It will be a milkshake consistency if it does.
If that’s in good shape, I suspect you have air in the system and your planned maintenance should resolve your issues.
You can add some water wetter for extra insurance: https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter
Old 07-21-2024, 07:58 PM   #3

Garage
You are luckier than I was in the park!
My coolant tank cracked in the middle of the park at the highest point. That was a $500 tow. I should have realized the week before when temps were climbing as we drove out of Beartooth Pass and down the Bighorns.
So I would say yours is about to go.
It isn't a hard job and just takes some time, but should be done proactively if you don't have a history on it.
And be sure to get a Porsche part. Many have been bitten by the cheap Chinese copies.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:24 AM   #4

Reply to Thread - Cooling upgrade suggestions

Yo, sounds like your Boxster’s got some overheating issues going on. Climbing mountains in hot weather can definitely test its limits. You've got the water pump and thermostat on deck, which is solid.
Upgrading to a thicker radiator is a good move, check out brands like Setrab or CSF for reliable options. Since you’re already cleaning debris and adding mesh, you’re on the right track.
If you're keen on extra reliability mods, maybe consider upgrading the coolant hoses and checking the radiator cap.
Keeping things cool and tight is key to avoiding future headaches.
Frasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasta View Post
Yo, sounds like your Boxster’s got some overheating issues going on. Climbing mountains in hot weather can definitely test its limits. You've got the water pump and thermostat on deck, which is solid.
Upgrading to a thicker radiator is a good move, check out brands like Setrab or CSF for reliable options. Since you’re already cleaning debris and adding mesh, you’re on the right track.
If you're keen on extra reliability mods, maybe consider upgrading the coolant hoses and checking the radiator cap.
Keeping things cool and tight is key to avoiding future headaches.
Thanks for the reply. I've struggled to get consistent/reliable information on the thickness of the OEM vs aftermarket radiators. Do you have any firsthand experience with either of those brands?