Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2024, 09:44 AM   #1

1998 Boxster camshaft adjustor solenoids -- help!

Greetings! Recently my 1998 Boxster has shown "check engine" codes -- sometimes P1531 and other times P1530, which my mechanic says are caused by faulty camshaft adjuster solenoids. He said the codes indicated that both solenoids were bad, but was hesitant to do the job because the solenoids are roughly $900/each, and he could not guarantee that the problem isn't caused by something else -- like a bad seal or something.

The mechanic (whom I trust) said that the car could be driven regardless, however I have read that this could cause engine failure. Does anyone have any advice on (1) what could be causing these engine codes, (2) places where I could find less expensive parts, or (3) whether continuing to drive could harm the engine? I don't really have $2,000 to get the job done, unfortunately.

THANKS!! -- Jon

98BoxsterNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BoxsterNY View Post
Greetings! Recently my 1998 Boxster has shown "check engine" codes -- sometimes P1531 and other times P1530, which my mechanic says are caused by faulty camshaft adjuster solenoids. He said the codes indicated that both solenoids were bad, but was hesitant to do the job because the solenoids are roughly $900/each, and he could not guarantee that the problem isn't caused by something else -- like a bad seal or something.

The mechanic (whom I trust) said that the car could be driven regardless, however I have read that this could cause engine failure. Does anyone have any advice on (1) what could be causing these engine codes, (2) places where I could find less expensive parts, or (3) whether continuing to drive could harm the engine? I don't really have $2,000 to get the job done, unfortunately.

THANKS!! -- Jon
The codes indicate that either you have a wring problem going to the Vario Cam units, or the adjusters themselves are bad; but as it is unusual for both to go out at the same time, it may be a harness issue. You need to find a shop with a Porsche specific scan tool (PST II, PIWIS, Durametric) which is capable of testing each actuator individually.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The codes indicate that either you have a wring problem going to the Vario Cam units, or the adjusters themselves are bad; but as it is unusual for both to go out at the same time, it may be a harness issue. You need to find a shop with a Porsche specific scan tool (PST II, PIWIS, Durametric) which is capable of testing each actuator individually.
Do both various cam units do essentially the same thing, so can I drive with one working?
98BoxsterNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:09 AM   #4

Not advisable.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
A Durametric is a nice tool to have.

Last edited by tommy583; 06-02-2024 at 07:08 AM.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster , camshaft , p1530 , p1531 , solenoid