986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Battery problem... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8578-battery-problem.html)

oranje 12-12-2006 04:35 PM

Battery problem...

Hi there - didn't use my Boxster (2005 987) for a few weeks and then had trouble starting it, it only just cranked. So I thought, let's drive it for a while and recharge the battery.

Next day, same problem - could hardly start it. So I took the battery out and tried to recharge it. Unloaded voltage was only around 10.8. Charging seemed to go way to0 quickly, an hour or so. After charging it showed 12.9V unloaded, but dropped back to 10.8 over night.

I checked the fluid levels, and they're all above the min, and below the max. However, shining light through the cells and knocking the side of the battery, I saw gas bubble up in all but one of the cells. Suspicious I thought... dividing 12.9V by the 6 cells is 2.15V per cell, times 5 bubbly cells is exactly the 10.8V it dropped down to...

So I decided to unscrew the vents and have a look (wearing safety glasses, of course!). Again, the bubbly cells all looked the same inside. The quiet cell looked different. A picture is attached. The one on the left is a bubbly cell, with the plates covered in dark stuff, the odd one out has the plates clean.

It appears I have a bad cell. Is this fixable? Is this my fault for not driving for only a few weeks? (seems quick for it to go bad) Is this a warranty issue?

Many thanks!

Jan

Paul 12-12-2006 07:02 PM

Probably a bad battery, sometimes the dealer will replace it under warranty, if not you can buy one elsewhere for less than $85.

MNBoxster 12-12-2006 07:57 PM

Hi,

The Battery is sulphated. Unfortunately, not a warranty item according to a TSB. The problem was probably created when the Battery was discharged.

A total discharge is very bad for a Wet Cell Battery. Tests have indicated that a Battery loses at least 15% of it's ability to accept a charge with each discharge. This means that it doesn't take too many to render the Battery seriously compromised, or even useless...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

oranje 12-16-2006 11:15 AM

thx

Thanks for the info.

Got a new DieHard battery at Sears, in case you need to know, it's the "48 size international". Has a little exhaust hose to get rid of kaboom gas.

Installed it and it fits perfectly and my baby starts up fine again. Cost $120 or so

Now I'll see if I can get anything back from the dealer... as a cell shouldn't die after 18 months of use in a warm weather area...

Brucelee 12-16-2006 12:37 PM

Costco, $52. Install it yourself.

bmussatti 12-16-2006 12:47 PM

Hi Oranje, you should read pages 10 and 11 of your Warranty Book. Pay particular attention to the area title; "YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR NORMAL VEHICLE USE". It states in here that you need to drive the car at least 6,000 miles per rolling 12 months. If not, they highly recommend using a battery maintainer. :cheers:

So, I don't think the dealer will warranty your dead battery. Sorry.

Get a battery maintainer for about $55...or drive 'er more!!

oranje 12-16-2006 12:50 PM

hmmm

I'm ok with that rule... I've got 14,000 miles since August 2005. Was my daily driver until the weather changed and I felt sorry for her... so it seems that 2 weeks of not driving killed the battery.

I'll see what I can get.

bmussatti 12-16-2006 01:15 PM

Hi Oranje, here is what you need my Boxster-loving-Porsche friend:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =98061198100&Category_Code=987cc

Ask Santa for one!

Brucelee 12-16-2006 02:22 PM

My local dealer will replace the battery under warranty IF the car has been driven at least 12K per year.

wanna986 12-16-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
My local dealer will replace the battery under warranty IF the car has been driven at least 12K per year.

No such requirements for the Costco battery, I take it.
If I recall correctly, there's a 3 year free replacement on them.

Brucelee 12-16-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanna986
No such requirements for the Costco battery, I take it.
If I recall correctly, there's a 3 year free replacement on them.

I believe you are correct.