Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #1

top hack, one touch (like windows)

does this link work?
It just freezes on my PC. These guys are selling these DIY hacks to make the soft top lower with one touch. beats the heck out of spending $300 on a Smartop relay.

http://learic.com/boxster/onetouch.zip

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
dead link for me
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
ok heres how you do it. just type http://learic.com/boxster/ into your internet explorer address bar. when the file list appears, click on "onetouch.zip" its a 40+meg file.

If you dont mind, please send your first born to beacon st sp ca.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

It looks like a video, but i dont have sound to hear whats going on. Can anyone tell me if this person in the video is giving part numbers so i can go get this onetouch hack done?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 12-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
It looks like a video, but i dont have sound to hear whats going on. Can anyone tell me if this person in the video is giving part numbers so i can go get this onetouch hack done?
They are showing the proto-type for their upcoming plug and play harness. Very cool though.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #6

this has been on the rennlist for awhile. many are waiting for them to get it done to buy.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #7

Aw that sucks, i thought someone came up with a handy DIY for the one touch, Maybe someone who buys it will be so kind to open theres up and tell us what is inside.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Aw that sucks, i thought someone came up with a handy DIY for the one touch, Maybe someone who buys it will be so kind to open theres up and tell us what is inside.
Carlos, due to the way the way the device is constructed any kind of attempt at disassembly would destroy the circuitry. The device is fully encapsulated for reliability and so it is insulated.

We have a running list of people who are interested and are currently assembling and testing our initial batch of modules. Anyone interested in getting on the list (we are not taking money until we are ready to ship the devices out) can e-mail us at onetouchtop (at) hotmail (dot) com

The price, including shipping, will be $99.00.

Last edited by John V; 12-17-2006 at 04:50 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Carlos, due to the way the way the device is constructed any kind of attempt at disassembly would destroy the circuitry. The device is fully encapsulated for reliability and so it is insulated.

We have a running list of people who are interested and are currently assembling and testing our initial batch of modules. Anyone interested in getting on the list (we are not taking money until we are ready to ship the devices out) can e-mail us at ontouchtop (at) hotmail (dot) com

The price, including shipping, will be $99.00.
Questions---

1) Are you an actual company? Based on your email address you are not. BTW--I am assuming you mispelled your e-mail address above
2) Do you have insurance in case something goes wrong in somebodys car or will you just disappear? Warranties???

Not trying to cause trouble...just that people need to realize why inexpensive isn't always good. The purchasers of your product will obviously have no recourse if something happens...or will they...do you have liability insurance? If something happens I would hate to see you personally liable. Food for thought...
Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 AM   #10

Thanks for pointing out the error in the e-mail address. I fixed that in my post above but you're right, it was supposed to be onetouchtop, not ontouchtop.

I think your questions are valid. I would not call us a "company." We are two guys with a significant amount of experience in electronics and were really trying to design something for ourselves when we got the idea (from talking to some locals actually) that it might be something other people want.

We are offering a 90-day warranty with the device which will be to protect the purchaser against infant mortality issues. For what it's worth, we both have had them in our cars for much longer than that with no issues. Due to the construction of the device it would be impossible for it to cause damage to the car unless there was malicious intent on the part of the installer.

As for us running away if there are issues, not gonna happen. There are enough people on these boards that know where I live.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #11

Thanks for the info...best of luck...I think many people will be interested in your product.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #12

Thanks. We appreciate your comments and welcome other questions. We really are just a couple of owners trying to do something cool!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #13

At long last our One Touch Top units are ready to ship. The price is $99 shipped. If you would like one, drop us an email at onetouchtop (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Several of you have already expressed interest and given us your contact information. We'll be contacting you soon.

Instruction manual:

One Touch Top Installation Manual

Regards,
John
Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #14

excellent! instructions look first rate.
I might change that warning about not lowering the top at 20 mph.
Anything faster than cruising speed (5 mph) is risky, a simple wind gust can take the clam shell out of alignment and then you've got a trip to the stealership.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:59 AM   #15

Looks like a great product. I personally don't think if you have the pin 18 relay hack done that this should be put on your car. I can just see someone cruising down the highway at 70mph when their passenger bumps the soft top button and doesn't know how to stop it which could easily cause a bad accident. I'm going to seriously consider picking one of these up though. Any chance someone could put up a video of this thing in action from outside of the car?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #16

Just curious, other than nose-picking, what esle would one be doing with the freed-up finger for the 15 seconds needed to open/close the top?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Just curious, other than nose-picking, what esle would one be doing with the freed-up finger for the 15 seconds needed to open/close the top?

LOL....

I read on another forum that some folks with plastic rear windows plan on setting the top in motion, then jumping out to perform the infamous top-chop.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Looks like a great product. I personally don't think if you have the pin 18 relay hack done that this should be put on your car. I can just see someone cruising down the highway at 70mph when their passenger bumps the soft top button and doesn't know how to stop it which could easily cause a bad accident.
It's not terribly likely that it would be actuated on the highway, because you have to have the parking brake pulled up a click or two in order to operate the top. This allows you to start driving while the top is lowering; however the light on the dash is a reminder than the brake is engaged slightly.

I'll try to take a video soon of the unit working.

It is in fact very handy for those that have a plastic window. The motion is slow enough that you can hit the button, get out, chop the top, and get back in before the motion is complete.

Regards,
Ken
kenkamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #19

myth: all plastic windows need to be "karate chopped".

The only time I ever have to perform the chop is when the temperature drops below 60. So basically I rarely ever have to do the chop.
During the warmer months the top needs no chopping and my window is crystal clear. If you give the top a chance the plastic develops 'memory' and will correctly bend at the right spot each time. During the cooler months I just make sure to blast the heat for 10 minutes then I pull over to lower the top. Wards off cold stretching the canvas too.

I find it quiet annoying to have to sit there with my hand extended on the button while the tops goes down so slooooowly while I stare at the red light waiting for it to go out. My friend's quick action S2000 top lowers in such speed it's embarrasing to me. If it were up to me I would have made the top 100% manual, less weight and no expensive repairs.
With the one touch you can hit the button, then fasten seat belt, adjust mirrors, plug in your pone, put on your bluetooth, etc.
I agree not a cruicial convenience but many have paid $300 for those smart top relays that do essentially the same thing as this $100 unit.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
myth: all plastic windows need to be "karate chopped".

The only time I ever have to perform the chop is when the temperature drops below 60. So basically I rarely ever have to do the chop.
During the warmer months the top needs no chopping and my window is crystal clear. If you give the top a chance the plastic develops 'memory' and will correctly bend at the right spot each time. During the cooler months I just make sure to blast the heat for 10 minutes then I pull over to lower the top. Wards off cold stretching the canvas too.

I find it quiet annoying to have to sit there with my hand extended on the button while the tops goes down so slooooowly while I stare at the red light waiting for it to go out. My friend's quick action S2000 top lowers in such speed it's embarrasing to me. If it were up to me I would have made the top 100% manual, less weight and no expensive repairs.
With the one touch you can hit the button, then fasten seat belt, adjust mirrors, plug in your pone, put on your bluetooth, etc.
I agree not a cruicial convenience but many have paid $300 for those smart top relays that do essentially the same thing as this $100 unit.

Since I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere in my Box, I actually find it quite meditative and zen-like to do nothing for the 15 seconds it takes to open the roof. Makes me think about and savor the twisties I'm about to take ahead.

Z.