Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2024, 03:24 AM   #1

coming out of hibernation after 15 years..

Ok my 2002 RHD 986 is out of storage and I have problems.....

New battery
New Key fob battery....
New Fuel
Was put away after full service
Only covered about 10-12,000 miles

Time to bring it back to life....

a few weeks ago
Turned the engine a few times to get some oil round....

Would not fire....
Sprayed "Easy Start" into rear vents, fired and ran for a few seconds....
Thats it...

Current status...
started to check things like
Fuel pump relay, works off the car...(think if it started but not run could be fuel)

but been so long.... my car messing days were a long time ago... but hey' its just an old car witha few electric bits...

So which is teh fuel pump Fuse?
Is it possible to hear the fuel pump when you turn on the igntion (I can't hear anything...

But now I have a few other issues....
the light flashes on the key fob, but it no longer opens and closes the doors or engine/front bonnet. Have disconnected and reconnected teh battery...
Once the alarm went off and the key would not switch it off

The red light above the Radio flashes all the time

suggestions?
(I was going to see if teh fuel pump pumped fuel, but I think there are new fauts...)

Bigv twin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:39 AM   #2

Well you may have a 20 year old thatcham immobiliser in there. In full fettle it cuts the fuel pump, ignition and starter but could it just be cutting the fuel pump.

I’d be going over all the connections with connection cleaner and especially the earth. I’d probably have a brush to that too. My other mess around cars have been old Alfas and Mazdas and they are champion and going haywire with electrics through a bad earth.

Any mice where you stored it. They often eat the insulation off the wires.

Did you change the oil in it? I’d be doing that fairly soon. And the coolant. And the brake fluid and transmission fluid.
Porboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:15 PM   #3

The fuel pump can be heard when you turn the key just before start. It's a short hum and click and resonates from the right side behind the glovebox. Also, have you tried a new battery in the key for yet? Good luck!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:34 AM   #4

Well it was in a nice dry garage, no mice or anything else....
New key fob battery (good one) new main car battery
As I said it did start and run for a short while on Easy start

I cannot hear the fuel pump - that is my suspect problem I think...
easiest to take out and check I guess....

I am going to get one of teh remotes checked over by a key speciaist.
but these early cars are a simple RFID chip so don't think that....

Ok short update, following Beelzy's comment....
Went out to the car,
first thing opening it with the key, alarm goes off (fob flashes but does not disarm), only stopped by key in ignition...
I make sure everything is turned off, fan radio ...
Luckily it iis very quiet...
and hey..... (remember everythig is the other way round as we are RHD) I can hear as you say humming, but no click....
What I have noticed is... New battery was fully charged and the battery is quite low leaving it for a week without doing much...

once I get it running it will have a full service and change of fluids...

Last edited by Bigv twin996; 03-30-2024 at 09:27 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-2024, 01:02 PM   #5

Assuming it started and ran for a few seconds using easystart. Think 20 years has the fuel lines full of clogs? Disconnect at both ends and see if you can pressurize and blow fuel through. Think injectors are clogged?
Old 03-30-2024, 03:00 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My bet is the fuel pump is dead. 15 years sitting static in the tank with moisture from condensation and a bit of old fuel will corrode it enough to seize it. I've seen it happen from cars sitting three to five years.

The alarm and locking/unlocking from the key fob is not directly related to the immobilizer. There is a transponder in the key fob that is interrogated by the car, but a dead battery in the remote will have no effect on that.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:33 AM   #7

My thoughts are fuel pump...
Storage was dry and no real humidity....

which is the ouput line of teh [pump so I can see if it pumops fuel...

I would like to thank those offering advice...
I was into cars big time 20 years ago and closed the doors and walked away, the fun had gone (was more into classics)
got back into them a couple of years ago and teh fun and great people seem to be back, or is it that the other have moved on...
No if you have a classi Lotus from the 1960s I can hep you...
but these modern cars lol are somehing new...
Old 04-01-2024, 06:19 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There are a few places that you can access the output from the pump. At the engine the fuel line connects at the right rear. There is also a Schrader valve on the fuel rail about mid-way on the right side.
1999 cable throttle engine pictured, but right side of the fuel rail is the same on a 2002.

The 2002 and later cars have the fuel pressure regulator integrated into the sending unit in the tank, so there is no return line on yours.

The fuel filter is in the middle on the car in the tunnel with the radiator hoses. You will need to remove the plastic belly panel to access it, but it is not hard to disconnect and flow fuel from it. Picture from this article: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter.htm

The fuel sender and pump are located under the battery. I have drained fuel tanks by directly connecting a hose to the output and powering the connector with 12V. This article discusses replacing the fuel pump and has some good pictures:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump.htm

In one case I had a good pump, but the hoses in the tank had become brittle and crumbled so the fuel was going nowhere.