Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2024, 11:23 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
JFP, this photo makes me laugh every time I see it. That girl has a body for working on Porsches.
Good, it was meant to

And just a by-the-by, I have owned and used the same mirror you purchased for many years; it is always the one I reach for when trying to see something that is behind something else............

Old 04-27-2024, 12:08 PM   #62

When last I checked in, I was facing pulling the vent again and reinstalling the speed nut that had fallen out onto the floor mat. Still haven't done it yet, but there's a good reason for my procrastination. I was fiddling with the lights and found that I had only low beams, apparently the result of jockeying the vent around. I started to check the connection to the light switch, but then I said to myself, "You might get the switch working again, but why take a chance? As long as the vent is out anyway it would be a good idea to also replace the light switch." I always heed my advice.

I figured the light switch would cost about the same as the ignition switch ($15). I was wrong. Utterly, drastically wrong. Porsche wants $241 for the real McCoy. That's Porsche for you. Fortunately, Amazon carries an exact replica of the OEM version for $79.50, one-third the cost of OEM. It'll be here Wednesday. In the meantime I also ordered a set of Torx screwdrivers, magnetized. They'll be much more convenient than the kludge of Torx bits and extensions I've been using that don't fit into certain places, such as in the tunnel for the Torx screw under the knob for the lights.

.So I'm treading water until Wednesday.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 05-03-2024 at 08:11 AM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:14 PM   #63

The $79.50 special from Amazon. Looks just like the $241 job from Porsche.

5-speed manual
Old 04-30-2024, 05:38 AM   #64

I always try to save a few bucks whenever possible. BUT, having said that I'd bit the bullet and install the Porsche branded part due to the difficulty and time it takes to install the part. Not to say any part could be defective right out of the box but I'd hate to take a chance that I might be UN-installing then re-installing. The $161 dollar difference is "negligible" ....but it's not my money, so easy for me to say.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:45 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
I always try to save a few bucks whenever possible. BUT, having said that I'd bit the bullet and install the Porsche branded part due to the difficulty and time it takes to install the part. Not to say any part could be defective right out of the box but I'd hate to take a chance that I might be UN-installing then re-installing. The $161 dollar difference is "negligible" ....but it's not my money, so easy for me to say.
Well the headlight switch is easy to replace and the cheaper part will most likely be fine. I replaced one with a used on from low mileage car a few years ago and it and it worked great.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
The $79.50 special from Amazon. Looks just like the $241 job from Porsche.

Please keep us posted regarding your experience with the Amazon switch. I had a problem with my headlight switch a few years ago. Based on information from this forum, I resolved it by soaking the switch with electrical contact cleaner. It has been working fine, but I will probably replace it the next time it gives me a problem.

The price for the OEM Porsche part does trigger sticker shock.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #67

The new light switch is installed and the lights now work perfectly. However, the vent is not back in the dash, because all the speed nuts were sprung (which is why one fell out onto the floor mat). It's crucial that they stay in place in order to secure the vent with the Torx screws. My patent-pending solution:

Actually, there are three speed nuts, but you get the idea. As for my solution, you know what they say — necessity plays with the Mothers of Invention (or something like that). I'll let my invention do its stuff overnight and then I'll wrestle the vent into place tomorrow. (BTW, I wish the stripes in the Porsche crest on the hood weren't cloudy, but the price for a new crest is one arm, one leg, so I guess I can live with this one a while.)
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 05-02-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:59 AM   #68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ameMlSYYE04

Replacing the old crest doesn't look too difficult. The only tricky part concerns fastening the speed nuts that hold the crest in place. I have found that my fingers, small parts and tight spaces are not a good combination.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ameMlSYYE04

Replacing the old crest doesn't look too difficult. The only tricky part concerns fastening the speed nuts that hold the crest in place. I have found that my fingers, small parts and tight spaces are not a good combination.
Not too worried about the difficulty of replacing the crest. Compared to replacing the ignition switch, which involved breaking loose obstinate set screws I couldn't see, it's a walk in the park. I AM concerned about the cost. An OEM crest from Porsche costs $173. Amazon has one for only $20, but the workmanship looks crude. Anyway, thanks for the YouTube link, Kevin. It might come in handy if I find a crest for a price that won't blow my hair back.

In the meantime I'm going to look for a magic potion (rubbing compound?) that will get rid of the cloudiness in the stripes.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 05-02-2024 at 09:25 AM.