Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
So they are track accepted...generally speaking?
First things first. Sign up for membership to your local pca.org chapter. Then sign up for a Driver's Education event with them next spring. Depending on high tall you are and what the rules are for the local chapter you will figure out if you satisfy the track requirements. Typically if you pass the "broomstick test" (a broomstick resting on the roll bar and the windshield pillar cannot touch your head with a helmet on it) you should be fine. I'm 6ft tall and I pass with no problem.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #62

Garage
120mph on the back straight at Mid-Ohio; Had the 99 up to 120 on an interstate before I started doing DE's--none of that anymore.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #63

top down, 146
hard top, 154
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #64

130mph before I lost my nerve. What was more fun was sustained 105-115 on winding Interstate through about 20 miles of foothills. Middle of the night with no one around. The car was just planted around the corners. Yes, its time for PCA DE's.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #65

138 with top down, but then I had a flashback of Steve Austin's vehicle disintegrating at the start of The $6 Million Dollar Man, so I backed off
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #66

I do 230 every day to school usualy only for 2 minits or so . still nothing to the 305 I do on the bike. lol mine seams to have a very bad shake from 146-170 after that its good any one else have that problem? all speed in kph
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #67

120 mph, then shut it down. I was surprised I was able to hit that speed in a very short distance. Open highway bridge with no cars, felt it was safe if anything went wrong it would just be me suffering.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #68

i drive slow so the ladies see me

fastest I have gone is 135. the car feels very confident but the front end feels light and so its scary.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #69

well it started when i took my car at work and in the middle of the day it start pouring hard and wasn't ready for it and wasn't planning to get the porsche to touch the rain. So what i did is , I drive so fast that the rain don't even had a chance to get my windshield wet...hehehehehe!

Oh Mah bad...that was in video games

Boxster= I've driven it 110mph till I hear my wife screaming.
Audi S3 2.0 T = 130mph on open highway with my son holding the camera.
MB C230 1.8 S/C = 120mph (for a few seconds) on the way to work. got meeting with the big wigs

*can't wait to put my hands on SRT-4
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #70

I had my '99 Boxster up to 132 on a totally deserted road in southeastern Idaho. I had just competed in a two-day autocross event and the car had been thoroughly inspected prior to the event. It was rock-steady, but really wheezing over 130. I ran out of straight road so I didn't push it.

I haven't had my '00 S over 85 yet. I didn't want to risk breaking anything after I bought it in AZ since I had to drive it home to Anchorage. I really don't have any inclination to go really fast in it, either. I think I've outgrown the need for speed.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #71

125 mph ( so far )

Car ran smooth as silk, but I was afraid to go any faster...

160 mph on a GSXR-750 is my record.

Oh, to be young and stupid again

( it's a miracle I made it into my 30's )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 AM   #72

I had my 2002 Boxster up to 130 mph last summer on Route 95 South going from MA to CT. The car's alot quicker from 60 mph upward than from 0-60......Agree with the other posters that said the curves are what brings the most pleasure. For raw speed I drive my C32 AMG.
YellowPorscheMan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #73

Top down 130 in the Boxster and seemed rock solid with no vibrations or issues at all, didn't feel the need to go faster. However, in much younger days I ran flat out in a 1989 Chrysler Conquest at 3AM here on the Garden State Parkway with not another vehicle in site...that little 4cyl turbo's speedo topped out at 150 although the needle was much further down the gauge. In retropspect I have to admit it was surprisingly stable. As a very inexperienced driver (at the time) I could actually feel the car getting lower just above 100 (I just read that the drag coefficient was .32 and for its time was considered exceptional). I ran it that way for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only a few minutes until I saw tail lights on the horizon. With my knees shaking and my hands tightly gripping the wheel I let off the gas and began the journey back down to reality passing that car at around 90 on my way down to 75 where it stayed for the rest of the night.
It was a surreal experience... Illegal, irresponsible but equally exhilarating when compared to navigating through turns in the Boxster.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #74

138 Mph

Digital readout, which I suppose equates to maybe 133 actual. Totally unplanned. Returning to Ohio from a trip to the Boston area, decided to go Route 6 across PA (instead of the usual Interstate 80). Needed to head south eventually, so angled SW through the Allegheny National Forest, using PA Route 66.

Had been following two semi's who---most irritatingly---seemed stuck like glue to each other. A tough pass, with all the twists and turns and ups and downs. Finally got a chance: a long straight uphill which made it easy to blow past both of them at speed. As I returned to the right lane in front of the first trucker I was shifting into 6th, probably doing 90. Seconds later, we topped the crest and there it was: a long (well over a mile) down hill slope that then became more or less level. It made me think of some vista out west where the straight-as-an-arrow road seems to go on forever. So instead of letting up on the accelerator I gave in to temptation.

Felt good, rock steady, though I definitely had both hands planted firmly on the wheel. Surprisingly little noise with the top up. No other vehicles in sight, no pedestrians, visibility as noted almost limitless. Other than something mechanical, the only potential problem could have been the sudden appearance of a deer, though visibility to the sides of the road was good as well. It just seemed like the perfect place.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #75

175 mph

I was on the autobahn between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt on a midweek morning and there wasn't much traffic. I was moving at about 130 when a yellow dot appeared in the mirror and kept getting bigger. I pushed a little harder and the dot got bigger. When I got to 175 the yellow dot became a Countach and passed me like I was standing still. Tried to catch up, but no luck. (Oh yeah, this was in my 911) The most fun I've ever had driving was passing police cars and ambulances running full tilt with lights and siren as I whizzed past.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #76

17A heading towards Walterboro...0730 on a Sunday morning last fall. 118 was what the South Carolina State Trooper said he clocked me at, after he pulled me over. Also mentioned something about being out of my mind. He was kind enough to write me up for 99 in a 55.
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #77

Garage
can't resist this thread...

My first land speed record was in the mid 80's going at around 140 mph which was insanely fast for back then. That was on a (then-new) KZ1000.

Then I pulled around 145 on a ZX7 in the 90's ...

Then I ran around 145-150 in a '98 Corvette (very smooth but a bit frightening) I sold that car to buy my first bmw (Z3) in 2000. The Z3 was not a very fast car and was electronically limited. Then I bought a Z4 in '04. Had some wtty problems and the bmw dealer gave me a new M5 (just lucky) as a loaner... Holy ********************!!!

Took it out on K-15 (Central Kansas) at about 11:00 at night. I just rolled it on. No drag racing, just a smooth roll on. I did this 7 miles North of the town I live in. I ran up to 155 mph and started to see the lights of the town and slowed down... Wow! what a car!

My Boxster....ummmm I've had it up around 100'ish a couple of times. I just don't want to tear it up or hurt someone or hit a cow, horse or deer.

I'm in my 40s and still here. Just pure luck probably!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #78

I had the great pleasure of driving a 2006 Boxster S on a Treffen trip in Germany
on the autobahn with the top up the speedo said 155 mph. A Cayman S with us
managed 160. That trip, and the smooth solid feel of the Boxster is why I bought
one. When I was quite young (and stupid) I had a 350 HP AMC Javelin that I got up to 142 mph (calculated). It was one of the most scary experiences in my life. It
felt like if someone had spit on the back end, I would just fly off the road. I never
tried that again. I was matching speed with a Camaro. I regained a little sanity
when we reached the next uphill and slowed down to the posted limit. He wasn't
so smart (or lucky) a few miles later I saw him pulled over by a state trooper.
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #79

140 top down

157 top up, on a slight down hill

all freeway

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

02 allroad 2.7t:: k04 turbos, piggy pipes, custom exhaust, 48% larger intercoolers, p&p's throttle body, samco y boot. & evo ms; d. valves, v flow intake, giac reflash. 402 mod (18mm/15mm f/r) 628 pull, carbon door handles, blacked out side markers, headlight reflector delete, H.D. lip, headers, 42lbs inj, 4 bar f.p.reg, 255 pump, & intake manifold spacers.

&

03 Boxster
billy@EUPHORIAworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift26
agreed! I have also been driving for more time than I care to remember and have driven under various conditions and have done autocross and other course driving. It is definitely good stuff. I hate it when someone buys a car and is not familiar with it and frst time out, have to test it's capabilities. It takes time to learn the car and get used to the way it drives under various circumstances.
Just because you have been driving a long time or are very experienced in the car does not make you immune to the laws of physics. Nor does it prevent the unexpected from happening on the open road ( a deer jumps out of the woods, a tire blows, a pothole, etc.)

Driving fast is dangerous for anyone. Driving fast on public roads is much more dangerous than track events where some of the unexpected occurrences are reduced or eliminated and where there is both personal safety equipment and ambulances standing by.

I'd say about 90-100 is all I am comfortable with on public roads.

To say to young people, "don't drive fast. I do but I know more than you" is foolish.

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote