Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #1

Modify Stock Exhaust?

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to modify the stock exhaust for a little more sound. I work with Motorcycles all the time, and there are ways to improve sound with minimal work. Can the same be done to the stock Boxster exhaust. I dont really have the $1000 to install a new system, with minimal HP gains, to be able to hear the sweet exhaust notes. Has anyone seen or heard of any modifications to a stock system?
Thanks

porschefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschefan1
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to modify the stock exhaust for a little more sound. I work with Motorcycles all the time, and there are ways to improve sound with minimal work. Can the same be done to the stock Boxster exhaust. I dont really have the $1000 to install a new system, with minimal HP gains, to be able to hear the sweet exhaust notes. Has anyone seen or heard of any modifications to a stock system?
Thanks
Hi,

There is a mod done by some people in Germany where they take a udes OEM muffler and weld two 1 inch SS 'bypass' pipes from the muffler's inlets and route these straight to the muffler outlet, which they sell on eBay for around $600.

They claim the sound is much improved, but not too much performance increase. See a pic of what they do below. Anyone with moderate skill and the proper equipment, could weld up something similar for just the cost of materials. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I know someone who took the OEM muffler off, and after removing the u-pipes that lead from the cats to the muffler, used a dremel to put holes into the baffles/internal piping of the muffler to increase the sound. Seems to have worked, as the sound from what I have heard when standing next to his car, has become louder.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
how bout just eliminating cats?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #5

exhaust internal/external mods

Yes.

There's an easy and cheap way to take the stock exhaust and give it a bit more sound.

It seems to me that no one has really figured it out yet though.

The "pedro sport exhaust" with the 1 inch pipe attached is a sort of simple path to better noise. There's also the german dude that sells them pre-made and too expensive on ebay. Check that out and listen to the sound files he has. In my opinion it sounds great but it's too loud.

So the external pipe is fairly easy. And makes a real improvement.
The only problem with external pipe is that you've got to make it look good.

I'm sure there's also an internal mod that can achieve the same thing and might or might not be easier depending on the size of your can opener.

I just got a 2001 boxster S. And after years of racing I'm not afraid to chop into things. So I'm going to start fiddling and see what I come up with.

By the way has anyone got a good photo of the innards of a 2000+ muffler?

Anyone ever taken apart one of the 2003+ pse mufflers with internal pipes to see what porsche did?

jh
huzzah ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
there was a thread no too long ago, and pics of exhaust opened up, im sure someone will post them up
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I know someone who took the OEM muffler off, and after removing the u-pipes that lead from the cats to the muffler, used a dremel to put holes into the baffles/internal piping of the muffler to increase the sound. Seems to have worked, as the sound from what I have heard when standing next to his car, has become louder.
I did this hack and didn't notice any improvement in sound whatsoever. I did a nice size hole in each side, but I used a long nose grinder (a Dremel didn't even put a dent in the steel).

Another forum member did the hack and put numerous holes inside his muffler and did not find it to make for a louder sound.

The bypass pipes are the best way to mod a stock muffler. You'll get a nice rumble out of it if you do that.

BTW, I have two stock mufflers for any 97-99 boxster if anyone wants a to cut on a spare instead of the one on their car now. $75 each plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.

(I was saving them to do the bypass pipes and then sell them on eBay for a couple hundred each, but if a forum member wants them, I'll sell them "as is".

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote