Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
damn Jim, is ther anyting out there that you dont race?
Hi,

Yea, there are lots of racing that wouldn't really interest me. But, I admit a passion for open wheel racing of pretty much all types, including Karting.

FV is maybe the greatest thrill/$. I've twice been able to run Champ and IRL Cars at Indy (the Indy Racing Experience, and an '89 Dallara of Newman-Haas - test chassis limited to 180MPH), and while you feel the increased power and speed, the thrill factor isn't significantly greater.

I've owned my FV since '91 and average about 8-10 events a year + a few Auto-Xs. Tires last 2-3 seasons and I've never had to rebuild the engine, though I might next year. If you really want to do it, FV is a great way to go...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-06-2006 at 09:42 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #22

The boxster is the poor man's Porsche which doesn't mean it's cheap, but it's open to a larger demographic. My parents are "vette" people and wanted me to get a corvette. I like the corvette, but domestic cars just aren't my bag for several reasons. I got the car as a college graduation present and I'm not ashamed to say it. I am greatful for things I have at the mere age of 26. I aquired the boxster 3 yrs ago and I wouldn't have picked any other car looking back.

Last edited by Adam; 12-06-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #23

MNBoxster:
"Here's a shot of me in my last race this past Sept., in the lead in my Protoform P3 FV ($6500 New, that's less than the cost of some of the mods discussed here, but as low as $3k for a used one). I got held up by traffic and the Silver car behind me got past on the outside on the last lap so I had to settle for 2nd, that's racing..."

Jim, that looks awfully like the Uphill before the Back Straight at Limerock ( http://www.limerock.com/trackinfo_maps.htm ) which, incidentally, is the only track I've ever driven. This past Sept, too.

Z.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
MNBoxster:
"Here's a shot of me in my last race this past Sept., in the lead in my Protoform P3 FV ($6500 New, that's less than the cost of some of the mods discussed here, but as low as $3k for a used one). I got held up by traffic and the Silver car behind me got past on the outside on the last lap so I had to settle for 2nd, that's racing..."

Jim, that looks awfully like the Uphill before the Back Straight at Limerock ( http://www.limerock.com/trackinfo_maps.htm ) which, incidentally, is the only track I've ever driven. This past Sept, too.

Z.
Hi,

Yep! Good Eye! That's exactly where it is. I went out there w/ an old friend who also races FV. He has a complete rig which can haul 3 cars. It was a Charity vintage event (notice the Super VEE, Formula Fords and Spec racers in the background) for Paul Newman's Hole in the Wall Gang camp for terminally ill children.

I love this track, several good off-camber turns. My favorite next to Road America in WI where I also annually attend their vintage race, partnering with the same guy. We camped on the infield for the 2 nights. My best Lap time was 1:11.7. How quick was your Boxster? I wonder how they compare.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-07-2006 at 07:53 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote