Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #1

Just purschased 1999 Boxster

OK, I am new to this forum and I wanted to post my new purchase. I am thinking I made a fair deal but would appreciate some input from the rest of you. I do not have a picture but will post one shortly. I purchased a 1999 Boxster from a local private owner. He was the original owner. The gentleman I purchased the Boxster from originally bought it in Germany while there in the military and was built to US spec. I have never seen a car taken care of so miticulously in my life.

He never waxed it because it never got dirty. No kidding. The car has 32,300 miles and has had no major problems. He had all the original purchase receipts along with all maintenance. I did not do a PPI but I did run carfax which showed no issues. My only concern after reading this forum are the engine issues with the 99's. The options on the car are:

Artic Silver Paint
3 spoke steering
Heated Seats
Traction Control
Hardtop
Tiptronic
Cruise Control
17" wheels
Windstop
Alarm
Boxster delete on rear

He also changed the side lights to clear, installed a storage net on the passenger side, installed aluminum 986 on the door sills, installed a Boxster decal on the spoiler when raised. He also gave me a Boxster S muffler that he bought but never installed, a wall rack for the hardtop, a Porsche cover for the hardtop when stored along with a Noah car cover.

I paid $18,000 for the car which again, I thought was a fair price especially with the condition of the car. The only thing the car needs is new tires which I will begin shopping for soon. It appears this forum is not short on ideas for those either.

So far I love the car. Any buyers remorse is taken care of just by driving it. While I would have preferred a 5 speed, the automatic allows my wife to enjoy it as well.

I have read some pretty negative posts about potential engine problems. I will check the manufacture date to see if it falls in the range where troubles have come up. I see there are warranties to buy, but with their cost seems very high for the length of time they offer. Is there anything that can be done as a preventive measure to avoid these types of failures?

The other cool thing about this car is that it was driven on the autobaun by the first owner.

Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8

Last edited by jci-joe; 12-04-2006 at 05:58 PM.
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #2

Congrats! Sounds like a beautiful car and a great price too.

Do you have a rear storage compartment behind the seats and above the engine comparment?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-04-2006 at 06:07 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

SOUNDS A GREAT BUY/DEAL! welcome to the forum...don't feel bad about tip tranny...i have he same thing and i love using it on turns and stoplights
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #4

Hi,

Congrats! It sounds like a great car and I wish you all the luck! There is a lot of myth about '99s and engine problems. I think many people either aren't fully knowledgeable or are just parroting what they've heard. A small % of late '98 and early '99 Boxsters had their engines sleeved (16% of Worldwide production between late '98 and early '99) and not all of these ever reached our shores. These failures all occurred in under 14k mi. avg. so if your car never suffered from it by now the odds are that it won't.

RMS possible failure is inherent in all model years, but again, most likely to occur before 24k mi. While you may not be 100% out of the woods, the odds are beginning to swing in your favor. Also, the Tiptronic S cars are more immune to the issue, also in your favor.

Intermediate Shaft failure is almost the exclusive domain of the Gen II cars as the shaft was redesigned and this redesign seems to have caused the issue. With a '99, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

MAF, OČ Sensors, Cracked Coolant Tank, 1st Gen Fuel Cap, 1st Gen. Coolant Cap, and potentially leaky coolant hose joints (due to spring-type clamps which s/b replaced with Worm Clamps on an as needed basis) are about the only things to watch out for. None of them catastrophic, and none of them guaranteed to be a problem...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #5

"Do you have a rear storage compartment behind the seats and above the engine comparment?"

Yes it does. The original owner also added speakers behind the seats on either side of the storage compartment. While the factory stereo is not that great, the additional speakers add alot.

I use the storage compartment for the bag with the hardtop parts.

Was this an option?

Also, the car was built in 11/98 and at the German factory as confirmed by the original owner and the VIN number with the S.
Heated Seats / Cruise

Last edited by jci-joe; 12-04-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #6

Congrats and welcome to the family!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #7

What are the signs to look for in some of the potential problems? With the engine not visible, what can be done to anticipate these types of problems? The one thing I have noticed with my Boxster is a paint type odor when starting from cold. I have used detail spray to keep it looking new, however, and it could have gotten into the side intakes.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jci-joe
What are the signs to look for in some of the potential problems? With the engine not visible, what can be done to anticipate these types of problems? The one thing I have noticed with my Boxster is a paint type odor when starting from cold. I have used detail spray to keep it looking new, however, and it could have gotten into the side intakes.
not to be anal or anything but, dude, pls. enjoy the car first before worrying or anticipating the problems. don't let what you hear or what you haven't experience ruin the first year or so of owning it. I notice that 2 types of what the first time owner thinks even before they enjoy their Boxster...it's either adding more power to it or *issues that they will run into....

enjoy and have fun with it

*that's me on the first month of owning it and it almost ruin my experience
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #9

Hi,

One additional thing. Several of the parts and systems on the car have both a Time and Mileage Service Interval, whichever comes 1st.

The Tires s/b every 4-5 yrs. max, regardless of mileage or tread depth. Brake Fluid s/b every 2 years. Coolant every 150k mi. or 5 years. Serpentine Belt every 60k mi. or 5 years, Spark Plugs every 30k mi. or 4 years (Max, I prefer annually or 2 yrs. Max), Engine Oil (Porsche says every 20k mi., but most think that is too long an interval) 7500 mi. or annually. Also, if operating in dusty or excessively warm environments, Air Filter and Oil change intervals s/b shortened as well. Hope this helps...

Old 12-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #10

I am feeling better after speaking with my local Porsche dealer. The person I purchased the car from just had the 30k service completed in September. According to their records, no problems existed with the car.

I am looking forward to many years of worry free bliss (at least once the OA temp rises above 32F and I can drive it)
Heated Seats / Cruise
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

One additional thing. Several of the parts and systems on the car have both a Time and Mileage Service Interval, whichever comes 1st.

The Tires s/b every 4-5 yrs. max, regardless of mileage or tread depth. Brake Fluid s/b every 2 years. Coolant every 150k mi. or 5 years. Serpentine Belt every 60k mi. or 5 years, Spark Plugs every 30k mi. or 4 years (Max, I prefer annually or 2 yrs. Max), Engine Oil (Porsche says every 20k mi., but most think that is too long an interval) 7500 mi. or annually. Also, if operating in dusty or excessively warm environments, Air Filter and Oil change intervals s/b shortened as well. Hope this helps...

Where are you getting your information on tire life?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote "Where are you getting your information on tire life?"

I have the Bridgestone Potenza SO3's and I am told they are summer tires and should be driven with caution below freezing. Right now they have about 16k miles on the current set of tires and the back tires are very worn. I stepped on it pretty good the other day and the back end really shot around. The temp at the time was about 40F. I think that was more due to poor tread than temperature, however, I think below 32F they may get worse.

I am now researching new tires and like most topics here, there are enough opinions.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #13

Jim,

What years do you consider genII for the Boxster, 03 and newer?
Mark986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jci-joe
Quote "Where are you getting your information on tire life?"

I have the Bridgestone Potenza SO3's and I am told they are summer tires and should be driven with caution below freezing. Right now they have about 16k miles on the current set of tires and the back tires are very worn. I stepped on it pretty good the other day and the back end really shot around. The temp at the time was about 40F. I think that was more due to poor tread than temperature, however, I think below 32F they may get worse.

I am now researching new tires and like most topics here, there are enough opinions.
Old tires need to be replaced even if they aren't worn. The industry sources that I've found say 7-10 years is the max life of a tire. Mnboxster states a shorter time span without stating his source.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark986
Jim,

What years do you consider genII for the Boxster, 03 and newer?
Hi,

Although admittedly arbitrary, I consider Gen II to be '00-'02. This is because of the increase in displacement from 2.5L to 2.7L & 3.2L, the addition of eGas and the switch from Bosch ME 5.2 to Bosch ME 7.2.

I would call the '03-'05 a GenIII because of the change in the VarioCam, the redesign of the Cylinder liners, the switch from Bosch ME 7.2 to Bosch ME 7.8, the adoption of a MOST CAN Bus system, and the inclusion of a Glass rear window, including a redesign of the Top frame. The 987 is by designation a Gen IV.

Sure, there were several changes in each model year. But many of these were convenience or cosmetic changes. Or previously optional equipment became standard. To me at least, these aren't significant enough to create a new generation.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #16

Well I have finally got around to taking some pics of the 99 boxster. I just finished Zaino-ing the car (3 times with Z5 with Z6 between each coat and 1 final of Z8). Lot's of work over 3 weekends but worth it. I will take some interior shots when the hardtop comes off.

I can't wait for spring since I only bought it in Oct 06. It's been a long winter.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Old 02-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #17

Congratulation on your purchase and enjoy, the only recommendation i can give you is to get yourself the Boxster service manual, it will be very useful even if you decide to get your maintenance done at the dealer and please don't start criticizing it for it's lack of HP, it's not an Amercan Muscle car but a well balanced German roadster and nothing more.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
great looking car, love the shaved look.

enjoy it, if stuff breaks fix it, otherwise ejoy the car as much as you can
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #19

Enjoy the ride! A clean bill of health on the 30k service is a good indicator. And you have my sympathies if you are unable to drive it much due to the season. I can't imagine that. My Boxster is my daily driver... and I can pretty much drive it year round on the same tires!

I was kinda nervous when I picked up my 2001 Boxster at the end of December... but as you said it, a drive cures the buyer's remorse. Mine only had 40k on the ticker, and aside from being a bit dirty, it's in great shape.

I had to put new rubber on the rear right away, too, and found that one of the Kumho tires, and the BF Goodrich G-Force Sports were the least expensive. I have the 18" wheels, so rubber can get costly... I ended up going with the BFGs. I had Kumhos on my previous car, and thought they were great tires. I just wanted to try something different.

Looks like you got a very nice car and got a good deal on it! The hard top is worth quite a bit, as they can sometimes be found on Ebay for north of $1000. Now if you can clear the front indicators... it will clean it up a little bit.

Good luck with the car! She's looking great!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #20

" Intermediate Shaft failure is almost the exclusive domain of the Gen II cars as the shaft was redesigned and this redesign seems to have caused the issue. With a '99, I wouldn't worry about it at all. "

Is this the general opinion? I was looking originally at a 98-99 Box, but talked myself into looking for a 2000, because I thought the engine failures were most prevelent on the Gen I models. I'm really close to making an offer on a 2000 with 55k miles... wish I hadn't read this!

HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote