View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
jci-joe

Just purschased 1999 Boxster

OK, I am new to this forum and I wanted to post my new purchase. I am thinking I made a fair deal but would appreciate some input from the rest of you. I do not have a picture but will post one shortly. I purchased a 1999 Boxster from a local private owner. He was the original owner. The gentleman I purchased the Boxster from originally bought it in Germany while there in the military and was built to US spec. I have never seen a car taken care of so miticulously in my life.

He never waxed it because it never got dirty. No kidding. The car has 32,300 miles and has had no major problems. He had all the original purchase receipts along with all maintenance. I did not do a PPI but I did run carfax which showed no issues. My only concern after reading this forum are the engine issues with the 99's. The options on the car are:

Artic Silver Paint
3 spoke steering
Heated Seats
Traction Control
Hardtop
Tiptronic
Cruise Control
17" wheels
Windstop
Alarm
Boxster delete on rear

He also changed the side lights to clear, installed a storage net on the passenger side, installed aluminum 986 on the door sills, installed a Boxster decal on the spoiler when raised. He also gave me a Boxster S muffler that he bought but never installed, a wall rack for the hardtop, a Porsche cover for the hardtop when stored along with a Noah car cover.

I paid $18,000 for the car which again, I thought was a fair price especially with the condition of the car. The only thing the car needs is new tires which I will begin shopping for soon. It appears this forum is not short on ideas for those either.

So far I love the car. Any buyers remorse is taken care of just by driving it. While I would have preferred a 5 speed, the automatic allows my wife to enjoy it as well.

I have read some pretty negative posts about potential engine problems. I will check the manufacture date to see if it falls in the range where troubles have come up. I see there are warranties to buy, but with their cost seems very high for the length of time they offer. Is there anything that can be done as a preventive measure to avoid these types of failures?

The other cool thing about this car is that it was driven on the autobaun by the first owner.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8

Last edited by jci-joe; 12-04-2006 at 05:58 PM.
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote